Old 05 December 2009, 18:48   #1

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
WHat a day - but I guess we've learnt something!!

Well we had a very interesting day .....not.

In nut we had to be rescued by Hayling Rescue – the whole day an unmitigated disaster!!

The day started off badly with us running late to meet Hightower at Haslar Marina – so we opted to launch from Chichester (mistake number 1)

When we got the RIB in the water we realised we had left the elephant ears down to had completely flooded the boat (mistake number 2)

Then had trouble getting fuel pressure and the engine stuttered and spluttered – anyway after some fiddling it started running fine (mistake number 3)

Off we set only to get just to the mouth of Chi Harbour and the fixed VHF reported a high voltage error that we couldn’t clear so the radio was useless (mistake number 4) all it did was beep loudly and prevent any kind of usage - we did have a hand held though.

The entrance to the harbour was interesting – lol – and the swell was challenging – the harbour master was reporting a force 6 – 7 at the time but it felt like a force 12 lol

Once past Hayling Island things got a lot easier and we were pottering along at 40knts – very impressive little RIB. Then we had the engine splutter and cut out – which we thought was due to the pipe getting twisted – re pumped and she started and we carried on heading towards Cowes (mistake number 5)

She then cut out again, and again we got her going and carried on heading towards Cowes (mistake number 6)

Finally though just as we passed a huge anchored container ship (Lyns??) she conked out good and proper – Darren managed to manually pump the fuel through and we decided to head home. I had some concerns at this point as I know Chichester Harbour entrance can be very nasty and I didn’t want the engine to cut out on the way in, however Darren was feeling ill and so we headed for home (mistake number 6)

We finally made it to the Harbour entrance by this time there were large breaking waves coming into the harbour - I was paranoid the engine would die again - one of the scariest things I’ve ever had to do – the sense of no control while waves are rolling onto themselves and you are on top is not something I want to repeat unless with an instructor – horrible.

Anyway we finally made it into the sanctuary of the harbour and the engine cut out for good – no amount of pumping would get her going – loads of fuel just no engine. A boat from the local sailing club went passed and we waved him over – he held us steady while we had another go at getting the engine going – by this time Darren had been ill over the side

He was a lovely chap and asked if we had a radio – yes we said who would he recommend calling – Hayling Rescue channel 32 – no bloody channel 32 on our radio – he looked at me as if I was mad and said who do you normally call – no one I said we just keep it on channel 16 – he then asked if I meant channel 60 – no channel 16 – we’ve never had to radio anyone other than radio checks.

Anyway he kindly got hold of Frank (or maybe Trevor) at Hayling Rescue who came out in under 5 minutes and towed us back to Itchener – I owe him a pint and some fuel money!!

We finally got home and had a chance to reflect on the f**k up of a day and I guess we have at least learnt an awful lot.

1. Never go in a boat if the engine is playing up – diagnose the cause and fix it.
2. Look at the weather – we should have launched in Southampton that was more sheltered not Chichester – once in the lee of the Island it was fine.
3. We should have headed for home sooner than later – at the sign of the first problem
4. We should have considered the implications of the engine cutting out at the worst possible time (on the way into Chichester Harbour) and found a safe haven to moor up to fix the issue- we were lucky we actually got back inside the harbour before this happened
5. Be on time and we would have at least had company on hand to assist (poor Hightower)
6. Learn about our equipment – why can’t be get channel 32 on the VHF??
7. Join Sea Start!!!!!

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2009, 18:55   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
WOW ! What can I say apart from ;

No one got hurt
Nothing broken
You will have learnt alot about all sorts of things (as you clearly have already)
People will ALWAYS help
Dont beat yourself up about it ( thats the really hard part)

DONT GIVE UP !

Pete
Old 05 December 2009, 19:00   #3

Thanks Blackroady - just gutted we missed the trip to the Folly and meeting everyone - never mind maybe we are fair weather sailors only

Spot on re beating yourself up - the more I think about it the more my confidence dwindles - we shouldn't have gone out in the first place

Hohum

Take care

J

Old 05 December 2009, 19:00   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
BLIMEY, im glad you got back ok safe and sound, with ref to equipment, check and re check, and still things go wrong!!!

Jean, dont give up!! keep equipment simple and well installed and the return a good days ribbing can give is awesome!!
Old 05 December 2009, 19:02   #5

Thanks Matt - looks like you had a flying time - lol

Does anyone know the Hayling Rescue group - would like to drop them a thank you etc

J

Old 05 December 2009, 19:05   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I really shouldn't have mentioned sea anchors and breaking down the other day should I.... sorry!

Glad you got sorted.
Old 05 December 2009, 19:07   #7

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Good God, what a day you had. The fact that you are both OK is a result and a GOOD day in my book.

I was so looking forward to meeting you both and putting faces to names, which is one of the many positive aspects of the get togethers. I hope the problems are quickly and cheaply(!) overcome and that you are able to put all you learned in to good use over the next few months.

The only comment I would hessitate to make, it is never a bad thing to report engine problems to the Coastguard early. They are only to glad to to be made aware of potential problems and will monitor your progress even if you make it back home under your own steam.

Hope to meet up in the not to distance future

Steve
Old 05 December 2009, 19:07   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
Spot on re beating yourself up - the more I think about it the more my confidence dwindles - we shouldn't have gone out in the first place

Hohum

Take care

J
Probably fair to say we have ALL been towed/ helped at some point. Things will always go wrong - you dealt with it all and got home in one piece. Got to smile at that.
Old 05 December 2009, 19:09   #9

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Two realy important things

1) You are all safe and well.

2) You have learnt some harsh lessons and I'm sure ones that you won't be repeating.

Glad to know all is ok now you need to get back on the Horse.
Old 05 December 2009, 19:17   #10

No worries Chewy - I think they call it baptism by fire

Blackroady - very fair point - just annoyed at myself for letting it get to the point of breakdown - we were glad to get home though!!

250kts - would have loved to have caught up with you all. The pointer re the Coastguard is very useful thank you - never crossed my mind to bother them with the detail but as you say it means they are forewarned and forearmed - very good point.

We will do this again - before the Summer!!!!!

Stafs - for sure - the leaning curve was step but on reflection very valuable - and I guess that's what we need to take away from the experience

Thanks all

Jxx

Old 05 December 2009, 19:18   #11

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quite a steep learning curve me thinks, one thought occurs to me, fuel tank vent another thought if you had got up earlier and made the original meet there were some good engineers to put you right, not to worry you got home safe that's the main thing
Old 05 December 2009, 19:19   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
Well we had a very interesting day .....not.

In nut we had to be rescued by Hayling Rescue – the whole day an unmitigated disaster!!

Anyway he kindly got hold of Frank (or maybe Trevor) at Hayling Rescue who came out in under 5 minutes and towed us back to Itchener – I owe him a pint and some fuel money!!
Google Frank Dunster at Hayling Island- he is rescue rib -
Old 05 December 2009, 19:21   #13

No the vent was open - I figured 6am this morning was early enough - clearly not - unfortunately work does not allow time to get ready the week before - next time we will get ready the weekend before!!

J

Old 05 December 2009, 19:22   #14

Fantastic - thanks Ian - that's the chap

J

Old 05 December 2009, 19:24   #15

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Blimey indeed! Your next trip should be a doddle after today!
As an inexperienced ribster myself you only really learn by experience including things going a bit wrong (hopefully not quite so many on the same day!). It is great if you can persuade experienced boating friends to come out with you especially if it is going to be a bit windy as it can get scary quickly even in the Solent (especially in the Solent given the size of the other boats).
Glad you are both okay and hope you get the engine sorted.
Cheers
Neil
Old 05 December 2009, 19:26   #16

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
OMG!! I looked out the window this morning & thought 'it looks lovely & calm, I bet they're all having a great time out there'! Glad you're ok, sounds like quite an eventful day. And sympathise about seasick men - although letting them drive seems to help take their mind off it somehow...
Old 05 December 2009, 19:31   #17

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
letting them drive seems to help take their mind off it somehow...

Not if you have Jimmy Riddle on yer boat it dont...
Old 05 December 2009, 19:32   #18

i thought there was only one 6 o/clock in a day, let us know what the problem was on your boat when you find it, high voltage on the radio seems a strange one
Old 05 December 2009, 19:38   #19

- Darren being ill was the icing on the cake!!

To be fair almost as soon as we passed Portsmouth the Solent was lovely - I was amazed at how different the sea could be just over a few miles!!

RIB friends are clearly a must - would have been wonderful to have had some company when buggered (Willks I don't mean that literally!!)

Will do Biffer - it must be the radio as when we bought the boat the VHF was iffy but after re wiring it, connecting it to the GPS and testing it (on land only) everything seemed fine!!

Sadly 6am is the usual wake up call - so very annoyed we still ran behind schedule - ever get that feeling that no matter how hard you try and make something happen some things just are not meant to be!!

J

Old 05 December 2009, 19:45   #20

yep, working on boats that happens alot, one bit of advise from an old fella, want a boat, get a sense of humor first, it helps