Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Zodiac trash or treasure?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240224_145601098.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	144560
I bought this Zodiac Futura IIc GT a little while back just as spare parts for my other Zodiac Futura IIc, in case I would need any. I planned to use some PVC fabric to possibly make some storage bags. After I sold the motor that came with this boat I have no money in it. As it sits, it's a free boat.

Today I spent an hour cleaning it and it cleaned up pretty good without much effort. Maybe too good. Now I'm thinking that maybe it's a shame cutting up a classic boat like this?

Name:	PXL_20240224_145619420.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	144561

What would you do?

The PVC fabric is in good shape in all but one spot. The speed tubes were totally toast so I cut them off (I guess it's just a Classic now ). Seams are picking up here and there, but not on the outside of the floor. Glue failure seems imminent, as can be expected from an -89. I have the alu floor. Transom seems very solid. The keel is coming undone from the floor. Keel holds air a few hours. The tubes hold air for a day at least but the inner valve seals needs fixing.

Name:	PXL_20240224_161121136.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	144562

Name:	PXL_20240224_161103957-EDIT.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	144563
Old 24 February 2024, 19:38   #2
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaglund View Post
Maybe too good. Now I'm thinking that maybe it's a shame cutting up a classic boat like this?
Oh man - been that soldier!

If it's any help, you already know the answer. Basically, the boat is toast for real world boating. The ali deck must be worth something? You're already in profit, why prolong the pain. IMO make the PVC bags and sell whatever else you can salvage.

I don't mind sharing this here - I have some issues with terminating the duty cycle of a machine. Essentially, I feel the pain a machine can't feel for itself. IMO this is a side effect of normal human empathy, misplaced. So, like pets, machines come to an end, and sometimes you have to decide when that is...

Your boat is toast, enjoy breakfast.
Old 24 February 2024, 21:29   #3

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I have some issues with terminating the duty cycle of a machine. Essentially, I feel the pain a machine can't feel for itself. IMO this is a side effect of normal human empathy, misplaced. So, like pets, machines come to an end, and sometimes you have to decide when that is...
Very philosophical, with the exception of the modern language I would have thought I was in the presence of Plato himself.
Old 26 February 2024, 15:43   #4

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Your boat is toast, enjoy breakfast.
Never heard that one before, that's a classic!

And you're right. But this cleaned up a bit too good. So just for the fun of it I'll let the kids play with it on the lake this summer and I get to practice a some gluing. Then we'll see. If it breaks that's ok.

Name:	PXL_20240225_174947106.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	144582

So I put the floor in, fixed the inner valves with parts I already had and removed all things related to the speed tubes. Now it needs reinforcement patches on the bottom, some glue around the transom and a couple of spots on the inner floor. Apart from that the floor is surprisingly solid.

Name:	PXL_20240225_175032846.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	144583
Old 27 February 2024, 09:51   #5

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
It does look like it came up really clean. Shame about the speed tubes though. It would be a shame to cut this up.
Old 04 May 2024, 19:28   #6

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c

Name:	PXL_20240504_103951466.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	144931

Took the two Futuras out today. First outing this year and first time ever with the spare parts one on the left! What beautiful day! Really warm all day.

The older one wasn't quite up to the task of handling a 30 hp Tohatsu. I could see the transom flex a little and I took on some water. After closer inspection I could not find any leaks and the floor is surprisingly solid. I could not find anything wrong with it which is remarkable since the transom in not staying on well. I suppose it could be the drain plugs or housings causing the leak. I did a very quick and dirty glue job on the transom where the edges were picking up and that is holding fine but I can see that the board itself is not really glued well to the tubes anymore. Which is to be expected after 35 years.

Well, the teenagers wanted both Futuras so we switched to a 5 hp Johnson instead and they were out all day.

So it looks like the spare Futura will actually be just spare parts. Or get a serious reduction in hp rating We'll see, I'm in no hurry to cut it up.

Tags
zodiac