Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 December 2009, 08:22   #41

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
I don't think our little hand-held has the option - we have a Standard Horizon HX750E and the H/M/L refers to watts not channels - having looked at the handbook there doesn't seem to be an option for M1 M2 or P4 - is this something only available on a few radios?

TQ

J

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2009, 08:40   #42

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish View Post
avv yew gott a bote?

gArf
you probaly already know that i have a boat, but i guess you're really on about my sense of humor, i'll expain, in the 54 years i've been alive some of the idiots i've encountered have watered it done somewhat, know i have acute allergy towards tossers, it's not really that i don't have a sense of humor it's just there is always someone round the corner who tries peeing on my bonfire
Old 06 December 2009, 08:41   #43

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
You have my full sympathy. I have just finished wrestling my (flooded) SR out in F7 or F8ish. Dead battery involved in this one.

All the best Ian
Old 06 December 2009, 08:42   #44

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
. I have just finished wrestling my (flooded) SR out in F7 or F8ish.
It's now backed off into a nice day over here.
Old 06 December 2009, 08:45   #45

Blimey Ian - horrible for you - and I now know exactly what they means and our weather wasn't that bad!!!!

Hope you get her back up and running quickly

Old 06 December 2009, 08:51   #46

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
I don't think our little hand-held has the option - we have a Standard Horizon HX750E and the H/M/L refers to watts not channels - having looked at the handbook there doesn't seem to be an option for M1 M2 or P4 - is this something only available on a few radios?

TQ

J
You are correct that the transmit power of your H/H (High, Medium, or Low) is nothing to do with the channels themselves.

Channel 37a is known as M or M1 on most sets, and channel M2 is for some reason known as P4 on Icom sets. They were historically Marina channels in the uk, however the Marinas now have channel 80, which is duplex, so M1 and M2 are used for Yacht Club Safety boats and race control.

To select M1 or M2 (which is how they are programmed) on your Standard Horizon, either go up to Channel 88 and press the up button, or go down from Channel 01. They may look like n1 and n2 - but they will be the ones you want!
Old 06 December 2009, 08:56   #47

Thanks Jimbo - that's totally correct - so n1 = channel 31 and n2 = channel 32 - that's great thanks you so much

J

Old 06 December 2009, 09:03   #48

Quote:
Thanks Jimbo - that's totally correct - so n1 = channel 31 and n2 = channel 32 - that's great thanks you so much

J
Nearly - n1=channel 37a. M2 doesn't have an equivalent Channel number.

29 to 36 are private channels.

Sounds to me like your man called Hayling Rescue on M1/37a

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk...f_channels.htm
Old 06 December 2009, 09:09   #49

Ahh okay - that makes sense - with regard n2 - what's that used for?

Apologies for all the questions

J

Old 06 December 2009, 09:14   #50

No probs - happy when I find questions I can actually answer!

M2 (Or n2) would also be used by Safety Boats (Not like the RNLI or Lifeboats - more yacht club/regatta safety craft) for their communications, and race control for communications with competitors. It's often used during Cowes Week etc for transmitting courses and race information.

A lot of this comes down to licensing - to license a shore station for any channel is fairly difficult and expensive, however to license a shore station for Channels 80, M1 and M2, is a straightforward process - on the assumption that these channels are only used by Marinas and Yacht Clubs.

I would hazard a guess that our man on Hayling Rescue probably has a base station license which covers the use of 80, M1, and M2, and chooses M1 (37a) to call him up on. This is not uncommon - when I send safety boat teams to events, and I want people on shore with VHF radios, we use M1 as the most appropriate channel.
Old 06 December 2009, 09:21   #51

- it just makes me realise how painfully little we actually know - a very humbling experience

Okay that makes sense so N1/N2 on the Horizon are actually M1/M2 - and are used by Clubs and Marinas - so in order to effectively use either of those channels it has to be based on local knowledge.

I must admit when the chap came to help us and suggested we radio through for assistance on channel 32 it completely threw me - equally he was clearly very surprised we had no knowledge of Hayling Rescue.

As I think John mentioned local knowledge helps!!! - we are getting it fast!!!

Jxx

Old 06 December 2009, 09:26   #52

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
M1, M2, P4, and channel 32 are private channels, and I don't think there is a guarantee that they will be programmed into every radio. P4 is I believe the same channel as M2, M1 is the same channel as channel 37.

Channel 32 is at 157.60 MHz I believe, and as far as I know does not have any other names. Certainly not a channel in common usage? I would have thought Hayling Rescue would have kept a listening watch on ch 16 as well, although I am not sure how they (he) operates?

From your reflections in your first post, you have exactly the right idea - learn from the experience and move on.

To echo others comments - never be afraid to make a call the Coastguard. It is what they are there for, and they would always rather receive a routine call earlier rather than a distress or urgency call later, as would any lifeboat crew. The Coastguard may still task Hayling Rescue to assist you, but they can also call on a range of other assets including other commercial and leisure boaters in the area.

As for the VHF fault (high voltage) - sounds like a possible problem with your outboard voltage regulator. Is the problem still there when the outboard is switched off / idling? Might be worth getting a full service on the outboard, and make sure both the fuel system and the charging system are thoroughly checked.

Cheers

Chris
Old 06 December 2009, 09:31   #53

Thanks Chris - interestingly no the voltage error does not occur if the engine is off - only when on (we tested all our electronics thoroughly or so we thought after we'd finished playing with them all on the drive) - will let Darren know - I think we shall be getting her serviced

Building up that local knowledge I've had a look at the Chimet data for when we went out and then for the return.

From what I can see we went out in something between a Force 4 to occasional 6 and similar on the return but the wave height was bigger

Is that a fair understanding - I'm assuming the more rolling waves on the return was due to the tide turning - can't believe it seemed so nasty at the time - must be all relative to experience

Have attached the data for consultation/correction

The key reads left to right on the data sheet

Old 06 December 2009, 09:39   #54

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Maybe another point to come out yesterdays events, is to perhaps learn and gain experience within your comfort zone.
It didn't appear, that you guys were overly keen on pushing out of the harbour entrance into the teeth of a 5-6 from the outset. Maybe, your first instinct was the correct one.
Old 06 December 2009, 09:57   #55

lol - I think you might be right Mollers - but it goes back to those small mistakes building in to something bigger.

If we'd met up with the others to launch none of what followed would have been an issue - we should have opted out once we knew we were not going to get to the venue on time - and not tried to get there under other means

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the entrance to Chi Harbour can be challenging in the wrong sort of tide , wave and wind combination - god know what it can be like when it's really rough

Perhaps the wrong thing to say but I am glad (the following day after a few glasses of wine and a good nights sleep) that we went - we would never otherwise have learnt so much or received such good advice

Old 06 December 2009, 10:01   #56

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Thanks Chris - interestingly no the voltage error does not occur if the engine is off - only when on (we tested all our electronics thoroughly or so we thought after we'd finished playing with them all on the drive) - will let Darren know - I think we shall be getting her serviced
Definitely sounds like voltage regulator As well as the potential to damage electronic kit on the boat, this can lead to overcharging of the battery, which can be hazardous.

Quote:
Is that a fair understanding - I'm assuming the more rolling waves on the return was due to the tide turning - can't believe it seemed so nasty at the time - must be all relative to experience
Conditions across Chichester Bar can be nasty regardless of experience - it is a combination of tide direction, wind direction and water depth. Worst conditions are with a southerly wind on a falling spring tide, which is pretty much what you had yesterday.

The Wiley nautical almanac is a good free source of information:

http://www.wileynautical.com/view/0/almanac.html

Although it is perhaps geared up more for the 'rag and stick' brigade.

with regard to Chichester Bar, the almanac says:

Quote:
Strong onshore winds against a spring ebb create dangerous seas and entry should not be attempted
Cheers

Chris
Old 06 December 2009, 10:08   #57

Thanks Chris -message very clear

Makes me even more delighted to have got back into the harbour safely - bloody good RIB's those Seariders!!!! - can't recommend them enough - she looked after us beaufifully and only died once help was at hand - in all seriousness I can see why people get attached to their boats

Old 06 December 2009, 10:21   #58

Town: Fareham
Hi Jean.

Sorry to hear of the problems you had yesterday. I'm so glad that you're all fit and healthy, ready for your next adventures at Sea.

Sorry you were running late for yesterdays meet at Haslar. I did pick up your voice mail the first time you called, but was running late myself due to me being a bit slow, so was busy going though my routing and forgot to phone you back. The second time you called you spoke to my Sister whilst I was driving.

I recon you did really well as novices to RIBbing. Please don't let the experiences from yesterday put you off. I'm not going to rub it in as other people have already posted, but sure there were some mistakes that you made, but these are mistakes that we've all made at some time or another. It's called the learning process! I'm pretty sure that some were caused by your keeness to meet up with us at the Folly.

With regard your problems. Fuel starvation sound like one cause of the engine cutting out. What make Fuel Bulb are you using? These have been known to fail and there is a make of bulb to steer well clear of. Tempo seems to ring a bell. Obviously kinks and colapsing fuel pipe. Filters, water ingress etc etc....Start with the simple things and work your way though them systematicly.

As for the electrics...Overvoltage is a strange one! One battery should cope with all the needs from basic electrics like GPS, Radio, Depth finder, nav lights, bilge pump, running of the engine...Bla bla bla. Have you got a voltmeter rigged up? What's it showing before and after the engines running? These are tests that will help determine whats going on.

Have your engine checked out and run a voltmeter over the electrics, then when you're ready for your next adventure, send me a PM or give me a ring. I'd only be too happy to re-arrange a meeting with you, so that you can run the Searider though her paces etc in the safety of some company. With a mini cruise over to Wooten for lunch or something.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2009, 10:25   #59

Thanks Andy - no worries - it was fun

Will get the engine serviced and then let everyone on here know when we are next out - lol - can never have to many rescue boats in my book!!!!!

Lunch at Wotton sounds perfect

J

Old 06 December 2009, 10:31   #60
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
RIB friends are clearly a must - would have been wonderful to have had some company when buggered (Willks I don't mean that literally!!)
I'll take your word for it, though I'd caution against bobbing around on the Solent with your trunks down, it's only asking for trouble

I'm sorry to hear about your day, it was meant to be fun. You're obviously analyising the events carefully and not shrugging the thing off as "engine failure ruins otherwise perfect day".

Years of diving have shown me that people tend to become overly "mission focused" when they have invested a lot of time and money in an objective, especially, and this is important, when there are other people taking part that are "relying" on them. There's no way you would have even launched yesterday had it not been for the "mission focus", i.e. 40 Ribnetters meeting you at Cowes. I use a mini-test of asking myself why I'm about to do something that's not an SOP, and try to weigh the additional or new risks against the value of the original objective, if you follow my meaning.

So I wouldn't head around the coast for a days diving without my main VHF
But I would return from there (to my car, trailer and home) if my main VHF failed while at an "away" port. Assuming all other equipment was functioning correctly.

None of the problems that you experienced were overly serious or unusual. I'd imagine almost everyone on here has had them at some time. The thing that you worried about most over the last week or so was your own ability to cope with the trip, and oddly that was the thing that got you home safely. Aside from a final tow into the slip, you coped alone with a deterioriating situation and were calm enough to be too polite to squawk on 16 for help.

I'd say well done (just don't do it again )