Old 02 May 2024, 14:05   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Ribtickler
Make: Avon Adventurer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 150
Hello

Just saying hello from down on the south coast near Lymington.
Would be very grateful for some tips as to whether anyone has taken their Jack Russell or similar dog aged about 10 on a RIB. Its 6.2m Avon with noisy outboard Mercury 150 engine. Now we no longer have to launch and recover and have the benefit of walk ashore hoping to get my little Jack slowly used to (a) wearing a lifejacket and (b) walking along the scary pontoons, any other tips would be gratefully received. I wouldn't take him out on days when we want to do anything fast just pottering over to the Isle of Wight possibly for a day out and obviously not in the blazing sunshine if too hot! Thanks.

Vikki.
Old 03 May 2024, 07:02   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Welcome
Old 03 May 2024, 19:07   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Hi vikki.

Can’t say I’ve had much to do with a jacks but if food orientated like most dogs, Ild just take him in the boat at dock a few times and give him plenty of treats.
He’ll soon learn being in the boat to be a positive experience, and won’t mind it so much once out on the water.

With my sib we got my dog to jump in and out with it set up in the garden for a few days for treats, and he soon got it.

Same conditioning with treats for the life jacket.

Another thing we did was let him watch us leave and come back in the boat a few times with him watching from the car.
I think in his mind he wasn’t having it being left behind, and he figured the boat was the lesser of two evils.

Now when setting up we leave him in the boot of the car until we are completely ready to go, and he barks like mad because he thinks we are going to leave without him.
The second the trunks open, he shoots down the pontoon and jumps straight in the sib.

When out on the water he listens to the outboard and reacts to the noise. Wide open or if a bit choppy he mostly lies down and goes to sleep. But if just cruising along smoothly he loves to stand up looking out.

Not a great quality video below but you get the idea, and we are better at keeping the deck area clear for him now

Only thing to be aware of is a vet told us some older dogs can get issues and can become seriously unwell with the motion and inner ear (can’t recall the name of it).

We did think or dog had it on our last trip and rushed him to a local vet in Oban, but turned out he had eaten someone’s leftover drugs from a camp fire on an island we visited, so basically was stoned out of his face.

But we nearly lost him, but after an overnight stay he recovered and is as bad as ever now

https://youtu.be/fA8VzMwcAhY?feature=shared
Old 03 May 2024, 20:14   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Vikki and welcome.

Agree with Brin with regard to food being the easiest way to get him/her into your rib.
We started by going nowhere when we got Isla (admittedly a Goldie, so loves the water) into our sib, and just sat in the sib with her for 10/15 mins. We then trundled around at 3 - 4 knots to get her use to the movement the next few times she was in the sib, gradually increasing the speed every time we then went out with her, obviously giving her copious amounts of treats!
She now comes with us every time, more importantly wants to come with us. She makes an appearance on most of these videos

https://youtube.com/@boatingintheuk?si=F6MoLmHCBPAiy-x6