Old 15 May 2024, 08:10   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Dry Suit Reasonable price

We have always been skeptical about the value of a dry suit and how much we might use one. A long while ago I bought a Crewsaver Atacama dry suit and never used it. I took it to the Easdale event this year and found it to be brilliant. Dry suits are I think very expensive and we have tended to use Fladen flotation suits which are certainly good.

Anyway these Crewsaver Atacamas are about £300 including an under suit.

We bought one for her indoors and thankfully the medium seems the right fit for her. They are a bit of a struggle to get on and off but once on are very effective and comfortable.

I think this will be good for several boating type activities

Here is a little video of her indoors getting into hers

Old 15 May 2024, 09:51   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Readers wife squeezes into rubber onesie.
Old 15 May 2024, 09:53   #3

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I think a quick edit may be called for. Its an Undersuit NOT an Udersuit.... unless that's a ladies thing
Old 15 May 2024, 12:28   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Oh Dennis.....relying to click bait now?
But hey it worked. Watched it twice already

Your poor long suffering better half has some patience, but sometimes a look can tell a thousand words

But we really really don't want to see a part 2, with you trying yours and seeing what you do with your lube.

But seriously though...we have been considering something like this or Steve's seperates, to extend our boating season a bit and for the wife's paddle boarding as she's always bitching about the cold.
Old 15 May 2024, 13:06   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
In all seriousness, a drysuit is a great investment for Ribbing or Sibbing all year round.
I wouldn't be without mine.

When our lads were young, them being warm and cosy in a drysuit and Geko with Visor meant they enjoyed a day out on the water in the winter rather than get cold and miserable.
The same applied to Lady Nasher.

Regarding Drysuits for kids, don't be daft and buy them brand new, they grow out of them too quickly.
There are always plenty for sale 'pre-loved' if you can get close to somebody in a dingy sailing club.
If you look after them you can then sell them on the following year, or in a couple of years, for what you paid for them and buy the next size up from the 'pool'.
Old 15 May 2024, 15:02   #6

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Oh Dennis.....relying to click bait now?
But hey it worked. Watched it twice already

Your poor long suffering better half has some patience, but sometimes a look can tell a thousand words

But we really really don't want to see a part 2, with you trying yours and seeing what you do with your lube.

But seriously though...we have been considering something like this or Steve's seperates, to extend our boating season a bit and for the wife's paddle boarding as she's always bitching about the cold.
Hi Brin, should you go for kayaking dry pants and dry cag, make sure you get a cag with a chest bib pocket. I didn't, but I wish I had as I now have to rely on a bum bag.
Old 15 May 2024, 17:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Brin, should you go for kayaking dry pants and dry cag, make sure you get a cag with a chest bib pocket. I didn't, but I wish I had as I now have to rely on a bum bag.
The thing that’s stopped me so far is we don’t have anywhere nearby to actually try stuff like this on.

The amount I’ve ballooned since stopping smoking, and possibly due to meds, I might struggle to get anything to fit me.

I was very keen on your trousers (well I would have bought my own)
But when looking at them online I doubted even their largest would have done.

6ft3 34” leg and 20+ stone requires alot of material to cover

But Nasher you have a good point with the kids stuff, and with my wife’s family originally being being from the Philippines, the teenage gear would probably fit her….
Old 15 May 2024, 18:03   #8

Hi Brin, I'm 6" 1", 33" leg, 15 1/2 st.

The Yak Chinook Dry Pants I have are XL and fit me with a pair of walking pants underneath them with a bit of room to spare (I could probably squeeze into a large, but it would be uncomfortable) I think an XXL would be ok for you.
The Yak Junga Dry Cag I have is an XL and to be honest it's bloody tight with a thin fleece underneath, I should have sent it back and ordered an XXL. However, for the number of times I have worn the cag, I can live with it being a bit tight.
Hope that helps.
Old 15 May 2024, 23:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Brin, I'm 6" 1", 33" leg, 15 1/2 st.

The Yak Chinook Dry Pants I have are XL and fit me with a pair of walking pants underneath them with a bit of room to spare (I could probably squeeze into a large, but it would be uncomfortable) I think an XXL would be ok for you.
The Yak Junga Dry Cag I have is an XL and to be honest it's bloody tight with a thin fleece underneath, I should have sent it back and ordered an XXL. However, for the number of times I have worn the cag, I can live with it being a bit tight.
Hope that helps.
Cheers Steve…that’s good to hear they might be on the larger side as most things are xxxl for me nowadays.

I did try 2 different waders, but the boot to crotch was too short and I couldn’t lift my leg to get into the boat….so had to do a run/waddle and kind of belly flop head dive into the boat, which did amuse some of the bystanders

It was the trousers I was most interested in for now for launching off the beach and messing about with the transom wheels, so might just give these a go. Seem to be as good a deal on them as any.
Old 16 May 2024, 04:55   #10

When considering waders or trousers always bear in mind that if you fall in these sort of garments fill with water and getting them off in a hurry is almost impossible. This can be very dangerous. I use waders and also feel that falling in is not at all common however I think it is important to be aware of this danger. I did mention this at the end of the video
Old 16 May 2024, 06:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
When considering waders or trousers always bear in mind that if you fall in these sort of garments fill with water and getting them off in a hurry is almost impossible. This can be very dangerous. I use waders and also feel that falling in is not at all common however I think it is important to be aware of this danger. I did mention this at the end of the video
Yip..My son has waders, but I insist he throws them off once on-board just in case..... after seeing a video by Donnie got us thinking about it.

Then a family friend drowned in a relatively small inland loch more recently (probably at least in part due to waders)

I believe the kayak trousers have a waste band to stop water ingress when being used as a seperate, but I could be wrong. Which was the appeal to us as a family of non to poor swimmers.

I know after trying paddle boarding (rather poorly) 😁I struggled with a wetsuit and pfd to get out of the water again.

So practicing self rescue, with whatever you wear, is extremely important for anyone I would say, or at least have a serious talk about it.
Anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves, and I hope they never have to find out why.

But I should really practice what I preach
Old 16 May 2024, 06:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Yip..My son has waders, but I insist he throws them off once on-board just in case..... after seeing a video by Donnie got us thinking about it.

Then a family friend drowned in a relatively small inland loch more recently (probably at least in part due to waders)

I believe the kayak trousers have a waste band to stop water ingress when being used as a seperate, but I could be wrong. Which was the appeal to us as a family of non to poor swimmers.

I know after trying paddle boarding (rather poorly) 😁I struggled with a wetsuit and pfd to get out of the water again.

So practicing self rescue, with whatever you wear, is extremely important for anyone I would say, or at least have a serious talk about it.
Anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves, and I hope they never have to find out why.

But I should really practice what I preach but as ever...each to their own
Old 16 May 2024, 07:19   #13

Yes when the weather is better and we get our swimming pool ready we are both going to jump in it in the dry suits to see what the experience is like and how you can swim in them etc
Old 16 May 2024, 08:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Using the kayak dry pants on there own will help to stop water ingress providing the waistband is snug against your skin and not against clothing, obviously If you fell in the water your top half gets wet and your bottom half remains dry. If they are used in conjunction with a dry cag they are very effective at stopping all water ingress.

I looked at the pros and cons of using kayak dry pants and dry cag against using a full dry suit before I came to the conclusion, that as a sibber, the dry pants and cag was right thing for me.

Most sibbers launch standing knee/thigh high in water which for a good part of the year in the UK is bloody cold. Dry pants allow me to do this whilst wearing a T-shirt , so if the air temperature is hot, I don't overheat. I am never going to launch in conditions that will need me to wear both the dry pants and a dry cag, however if conditions deteriorate whilst I'm out I can quickly put the dry cag on making an effective dry "suit".
I know you can take off the top of a full dry suit and tie it around your waist using the sleeves and hold it up with the braces. However having all that cumbersome material around my already large waist, didn't appeal. I thought that without having the full suit on and zipped up, that if I ever fell in the water I am effectively wearing waders. Also if I did need to fully put the dry suit on and zip it up, it would be impossible to do it without standing, which if the conditions have deteriorated that much is the last thing I would want to do in a sib.
Old 16 May 2024, 09:11   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>Most sibbers launch standing knee/thigh high in water

We all have slightly different clothing ideas but for me I'm still using the tried and tested wetsuit trousers and dinghy boots plus T-shirt (and hoodie over if colder) for the launch then add a larger sailing jacket before we head out. This year I've bought a light HH jacket referred to as a mid layer but which is water and windproof, amazingly so for its light weight. That's far more suited to a warm day when you don't want splashes soaking your top half but don't want boiling in a full jacket either.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/hp...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 16 May 2024, 18:35   #16

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
I use shorts, cycle all year in them so kinda get used to my legs being cold, soon dry out after half an hour. I have a wetsuit but unless I'm planing to snorkel I don't bother. I'm a fair weather boater though tbh, within reason.
Old 16 May 2024, 19:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I use shorts, cycle all year in them so kinda get used to my legs being cold, soon dry out after half an hour. I have a wetsuit but unless I'm planing to snorkel I don't bother. I'm a fair weather boater though tbh, within reason.
I'm just a big softy tinker, need to keep dry and warm
Old 22 May 2024, 20:40   #18

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
I had an Atacama Pro drysuit a couple of years ago. I always rated Crewsaver suits, as the ones I'd had previously were brilliant value for money and lasted well.
The Atacama is easy to don, dry and comfortable, but the durability is woeful. After about 8 months of use for teaching PB courses, the neck seal started to spilt. I enquired about a warranty claim, to be told that the Crewsaver warranty doesn't cover the seals.
After replacing the neck seal, the wrist seals started to do the same after another couple of months.
Then after 12 months the zip broke a tooth close to the shoulder (I bodge-shortened it with a zip tie and Aquasure glue).
At 15 months the socks perished, so I binned it.

A suit not worthy of the 'Pro' tag IME.

By comparison, the Hyperdry Pro suits from the mid 2000s withstood over 10 years of regular use before the suit material started to go porus.
Old 23 May 2024, 03:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry_Doc View Post
I had an Atacama Pro drysuit a couple of years ago. I always rated Crewsaver suits, as the ones I'd had previously were brilliant value for money and lasted well.
The Atacama is easy to don, dry and comfortable, but the durability is woeful. After about 8 months of use for teaching PB courses, the neck seal started to spilt. I enquired about a warranty claim, to be told that the Crewsaver warranty doesn't cover the seals.
After replacing the neck seal, the wrist seals started to do the same after another couple of months.
Then after 12 months the zip broke a tooth close to the shoulder (I bodge-shortened it with a zip tie and Aquasure glue).
At 15 months the socks perished, so I binned it.

A suit not worthy of the 'Pro' tag IME.

By comparison, the Hyperdry Pro suits from the mid 2000s withstood over 10 years of regular use before the suit material started to go porus.
Interesting. Our suits will get very little use I suspect so time will tell