Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 February 2023, 18:57   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Ribtec 725 refurbishment

Hi all
Been on forum for a bit in the back ground reading about everybody's rib rebuilds, so I thought I would share my first rib refurbishment for a round britian challenge. I bought a ribtec 725 250hp mercuiser inboard diesel with a bravo 2 diesel sterndrive, the rib was on a thread on ribnet in may 2015. The rib requires a bit of work and upgrading new tubes, bit of deck work electronics upgrade.
Cheers Kevin Click image for larger version

Name:	2146493224.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	142121Click image for larger version

Name:	80480527.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	142122Click image for larger version

Name:	1532653122.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	142123Click image for larger version

Name:	1524419047.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	142124Click image for larger version

Name:	555427899.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	142125Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221128_135932_155.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	142126
__________________

__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2023, 18:58   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
More picsClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221112-200300~2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	142127Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221112-212212~2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	142128
__________________

__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 10:49   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 778
Lovely looking boat - I miss my 9m diesel Ribtec!
__________________
paulbrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 14:46   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Lovely looking boat - I miss my 9m diesel Ribtec!
I'm happy with it, but it needs alot of tlc, not sure if to convert it to a 300hp outboard.
Cheers Kevin
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 14:59   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 778
I guess that depends on the engine/outdrive condition. Personally I loved the balance of my 9m with the Yanmar inboard, and it would go through just about anything in such a confident manner. In the ~10 years I had it I did have to refurb the turbo, did some work on the Bravo drive, etc., but on the whole was super reliable for me. If there was major work needed on the engine or outdrive though, possible more economical to convert to outboard, although that would require a certain amount of transom work too I suspect.

Definitely worth checking underneath the deck - Ribtec saved £20 by not sealing the underside, and mine was pretty soft in a few places and I had it completely replaced.
__________________
paulbrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 00:35   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
I guess that depends on the engine/outdrive condition. Personally I loved the balance of my 9m with the Yanmar inboard, and it would go through just about anything in such a confident manner. In the ~10 years I had it I did have to refurb the turbo, did some work on the Bravo drive, etc., but on the whole was super reliable for me. If there was major work needed on the engine or outdrive though, possible more economical to convert to outboard, although that would require a certain amount of transom work too I suspect.



Definitely worth checking underneath the deck - Ribtec saved £20 by not sealing the underside, and mine was pretty soft in a few places and I had it completely replaced.
Hi Paul
I'm not sure on the mercuiser 250hp d-tonic it had a top engine rebuild a couple of years ago and not sure how reliable they are , the outdrive hasn't been touched for a while.
Cheers Kevin
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 00:39   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Had a few hours today before work and removed the tubes. Can see that the front locker area has soft wood and the rest of the floor seems to be fibreglassed on the underside and ok.
Cheers Kevin Click image for larger version

Name:	1913718192.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	142131
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 10:10   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 372
Nice project.
You say the floor is soft in the front locker but the rest seem ok how sure are you? I think I would need to know for sure. Do you have any access to the stringers through a hatch etc? As you probably know the tubes are expensive so for peice mind you could do with being sure.
Good luck with your build...keep us all posted.
__________________
fastasfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 14:18   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
Nice project.
You say the floor is soft in the front locker but the rest seem ok how sure are you? I think I would need to know for sure. Do you have any access to the stringers through a hatch etc? As you probably know the tubes are expensive so for peice mind you could do with being sure.
Good luck with your build...keep us all posted.
Cheers hope you like the project. Not a 100% sure about the floor I have checked It in parts from where I can get access but might need to check further when got the front deck open.the first to pics are of the front locker and the rest are about the middle of the rib. Been quoted by tilley inflatables about £7800 for the tubes which is a long way from Edinburgh round trip just under 1000miles.
Click image for larger version

Name:	718784911.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	142132Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221202_104249_208.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	142133Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221202_104107_093.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	142134Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221202_104115_980.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	142135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221202_104143_592.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	142136
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 14:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
One thing not sure about is the 250hp mercruicer inboard engine and mercruicer bravo 2 diesel outdrive, can anyone tell me how reliable they are and how much are they're worth if I sale them. The engine has had a top end rebuild about 3 years ago and is in good working order, the outdrive goes into forward and reverse but don't know much about it and will need a full service. If anyone can tell me abeit about them that would be great or is it better to change it.
Cheers Kevin
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 15:48   #11
Member
 
Iankristy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 416
Nice project. For the tubes have you considered Ferry Marine in Livingston? Save you a ton of miles/ expense and a pretty good reputation. Tillyís clearly excellent as well but good to have options.
__________________
Iankristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 18:20   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
One thing not sure about is the 250hp mercruicer inboard engine and mercruicer bravo 2 diesel outdrive, can anyone tell me how reliable they are and how much are they're worth if I sale them. The engine has had a top end rebuild about 3 years ago and is in good working order, the outdrive goes into forward and reverse but don't know much about it and will need a full service. If anyone can tell me abeit about them that would be great or is it better to change it.
Cheers Kevin
They are popular in speedboats and the like but less so on ribs. One thing for sure is the sale of said engine won't generate enough money to cover the cost of the outboard/outboards you will replace it with.There is a trend towards Outboards especially in the American Markets.
By all accounts they are reliable as long as they have been looked after.,so new tubes then give it season and see how it proves its self.,but If that hull as suspected needs work, then that would be your opportunity to do that work and go for the conversion.
You my start looking at the cost of all the work and freak out.....but just look at the cost of a new 8 meter these day's and if you do finish it you will have a well sorted rib.
__________________
fastasfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 20:29   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Nice project. For the tubes have you considered Ferry Marine in Livingston? Save you a ton of miles/ expense and a pretty good reputation. Tillyís clearly excellent as well but good to have options.
Hi lankrisky
I phoned ferry marine but the guy who did the retubes has retired, so they're not doing them at the moment.
Cheers Kevin
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 20:38   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
They are popular in speedboats and the like but less so on ribs. One thing for sure is the sale of said engine won't generate enough money to cover the cost of the outboard/outboards you will replace it with.There is a trend towards Outboards especially in the American Markets.

By all accounts they are reliable as long as they have been looked after.,so new tubes then give it season and see how it proves its self.,but If that hull as suspected needs work, then that would be your opportunity to do that work and go for the conversion.

You my start looking at the cost of all the work and freak out.....but just look at the cost of a new 8 meter these day's and if you do finish it you will have a well sorted rib.
Hi fastasfox
I thought I would sell the inboard and put money towards an outboard. The plan is to sort the rib out and retube about November time, giving me a year ish to sort the deck out and paint it.
Cheers Kevin
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 21:10   #15
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,837
RIBase
Good luck with it. It looks a great project
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 08:14   #16
Member
 
Iankristy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
Hi lankrisky
I phoned ferry marine but the guy who did the retubes has retired, so they're not doing them at the moment.
Cheers Kevin


Ah thatís a shame they were good and would have saved a long trip!
__________________
Iankristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 08:44   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsc View Post
Hi lankrisky
I phoned ferry marine but the guy who did the retubes has retired, so they're not doing them at the moment.
Cheers Kevin
The most northerly tube manufacturers would be Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables in Chorley or Rib retubes /xs ribs in hull, anyone else doing tubes north of those two will be fitting tubes made by another manufacturer. Personally for warranty simplicity I'd want the person making the tubes to also be the person fitting the tubes. Dave Cowal would be my first call.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 11:30   #18
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,541
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The most northerly tube manufacturers would be Dave Cowal at north west ribs and inflatables in Chorley or Rib retubes /xs ribs in hull, anyone else doing tubes north of those two will be fitting tubes made by another manufacturer. Personally for warranty simplicity I'd want the person making the tubes to also be the person fitting the tubes. Dave Cowal would be my first call.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app


+1 for Dave Cowal
Ball park (pre-covid) figures for a retube, £1k/metre of boat. So around £8k. This is general market price, not specific to Dave C.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 00:48   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1 for Dave Cowal
Ball park (pre-covid) figures for a retube, £1k/metre of boat. So around £8k. This is general market price, not specific to Dave C.
Hi Dave
I will give Dave c a call and it helps being closer. Tilley inflatables quoted me £7800 including vat but got a bit of work to do first.
Cheers Kevin
__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 19:53   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: no name
Make: Hydro force
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Hi all
Got a bit of time today to take the seats off and start untangle the electrical mess under the console so I can remove it.
Cheers Kevin Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230218_095516_881.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	142212Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230218_095534_967.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	142213
__________________

__________________
kevinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.