Old 07 May 2021, 09:53   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
An unexpected twist from yesterday I'd not wanted to report on until I knew it was sorted...

While I was trial fitting the canopy I noticed the floor which had been blown up 30mins earlier was very soft... quick soap test of the valve as the most likely culprit and indeed bubbles everywhere around the valve outer boss.

Email chat with Dave at Elling to get his approval to try and tighten with the valve spanner supplied in the repair kit tube. He says yes and then follows up with a forwarded email from Elling in the Ukraine who confirm what would likely cure it. Deflate the floor and from the underside through the material of the lower floor face you can grip (with hand) the inner boss of the valve while tightening the valve with said spanner.

My valve was quite loose taking about a turn of the spanner to nip it up so when re-inflated it passed the soap test. After about 14hrs overnight it has not lost pressure so job done.

OK some would say it never should have leaked but my judgement of a supplier is how they resolve problems and for both Boatworld and Elling themselves to engage with email responses between 6-8pm and within hours of my query is great service and reassuring for ownership of this brand going forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak Elling floor.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	137257  
Old 07 May 2021, 10:44   #22

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I had forgotten that I had small problem with my air floor too when it arrived. I had some loose stitches poking through the valve, I was going to remove the valve to retrieve them but after a turn or so with the spanner it started getting hard to hold the outer through the material, I imagined all sorts of bother with loose stitches getting in the threads. I bottled it and tightened the valve back up, tighter than it was originally I might add. I then looked down the hole and the loose stitches had vanished, perhaps they were wrapping themselves round the threads. Anyway it stays up as it did before I tinkered so its just a story to tell now
Glad your fix worked, there are only 2 boats left to buy at Boatworld today, will be out of stock again by the weekend I bet.
Old 07 May 2021, 10:56   #23

Ahh yes funnily enough I had a few threads of stitch sticking through the valve on arrival and that was my first thought they were holding the valve a little open... but of course the valve cap would have held that back. Anyway with the tightening the threads have been pulled back into the floor.

Buy while you can eh.
Old 07 May 2021, 14:33   #24

Make: Elling kB 350
Well after picking up the engine I’ve been busy unpacking the boat. First thing I noticed were that the screws on the seat. 2 had not been tightened fully and 1 was missing completely, I soon fixed that, but it did leave a bit of doubt in my mind about quality inspection. I got the boat out into the garden, got the air pump and power pack and started to inflate. Bow first as it says in the book. Inflated all tubes to around 1 bar then fitted the air floor then slid the seats on. Inflated the air floor to 0.7 bar then started on the rest of the tubes. Had a few trouble getting air into the tubes and floor as I couldn’t maintain a seal from the pump. Sorted that with a Packer that’s supplied with the pump. It took about an hour to inflate, but that was due to me not having a clue what I was doing. My battery pack has done well though so I know I won’t have any problems with that in the future. I then fitted the “A” frame that was easy enough. Took all of a couple of minutes for that. I then decided to try the suprod transom wheels. This is where I need the forums excellent advice. I’ve clamped them in position to the instructions and from the bottom of the sausage to the bottom of the wheels is 90 - 100mm. Is that going to be enough clearance? I could deflate the sausage which would then give me a bit more clearance. I will try and take a photo post it
Old 07 May 2021, 14:58   #25

I really hope you didn't put 1bar into the tubes?? That's about 5 times their pressure. If you did let them down quickly.
Old 07 May 2021, 15:05   #26

My mistake 0.1 bar to start with
Can’t post a pic of the wheels from my phone again. I’ll have to do it later from my laptop.
Old 07 May 2021, 15:09   #27

Ohh thank goodness... inflated to 1bar its capacity would be about 8 folks.
Old 07 May 2021, 15:31   #28

I’ve managed to get the wheels to about 150mm from floor to bottom of the sausage. Would that be enough clearance?
Old 07 May 2021, 15:41   #29

By getting to about 6 inches of clearance I would have just over an inch of the bracket in the water when boating. Would this be ok or would it cause an adverse affect?
Old 07 May 2021, 15:58   #30

Well just get them mounted to give the greatest height then be aware re potholes and kerbs what leeway you have. If you mean the brackets you are fitting to the transom they will be waterproof. On the plane I don’t think there will be any of the transom in the water... not sure re displacement speed.

Images would help loads.
Old 07 May 2021, 16:11   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
An unexpected twist from yesterday I'd not wanted to report on until I knew it was sorted...

While I was trial fitting the canopy I noticed the floor which had been blown up 30mins earlier was very soft... quick soap test of the valve as the most likely culprit and indeed bubbles everywhere around the valve outer boss.

Email chat with Dave at Elling to get his approval to try and tighten with the valve spanner supplied in the repair kit tube. He says yes and then follows up with a forwarded email from Elling in the Ukraine who confirm what would likely cure it. Deflate the floor and from the underside through the material of the lower floor face you can grip (with hand) the inner boss of the valve while tightening the valve with said spanner.

My valve was quite loose taking about a turn of the spanner to nip it up so when re-inflated it passed the soap test. After about 14hrs overnight it has not lost pressure so job done.

OK some would say it never should have leaked but my judgement of a supplier is how they resolve problems and for both Boatworld and Elling themselves to engage with email responses between 6-8pm and within hours of my query is great service and reassuring for ownership of this brand going forward.

I had exactly the same with the Volaire & the same remedy. I wonder if the material “gives” for a while after initial fitting of the valves.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2021, 16:55   #32

Interesting... the four LP valves were all fully tight. Perhaps it's the floor "hairs" that compress more over the initial few days/weeks before first use. Once you are aware easy to keep an eye on it.
Old 07 May 2021, 17:13   #33

Cheers David, you’ve put my mind at ease. I’ll try to upload the pics in a little while. The missus loves it and can’t wait to get out. Spent the last hour and half having to take photos of her in it, on it and whatever way. Lol.
Just deflated it, and going to have some well earned dinner. Definitely won’t be a fray bentos balti pie though. Then it’s back outside to finish deflating and rolling back up.
Old 07 May 2021, 18:37   #34

this is a photo of the wheels at 4 inch clearance from ground to bottom of sausage, ive been able to add another couple of inches to that now by taking the bracket apart and lowering the pivot bolt onto a spare hole at the bottom of the bracket. im assuming this is ok to do because i can not see any other reason for the hole to be there in the first place.
I think over the next few days i will make a template and fit the wheels to it, then clamp it into position on the transom and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210507152859.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	137258  
Old 07 May 2021, 18:38   #35

Town: Up Northish
Boat name: Korky
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke
Really pleased to have some more fellow Elling owners!

We are planning our trip to Iona in June and really lloking forward to some exploring and fishing whilst getting to know 'Korky' a little better.

Our maiden voyage was a 100% success and I hope you all have the same experience!

Please keep posting your experiences and I will do the same!
Old 07 May 2021, 18:43   #36

here are some more photos of my days trials and tribulations. i still havnt put the engine on yet so i will be trying that on over the next few days, weather permitting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210507172324.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	137259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507172457.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	137260   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507173359.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	137261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507173434.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	137262   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507173527.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	137263  

Old 07 May 2021, 18:45   #37

Town: Wigan
Boat name: ?
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 2S18hp 2S15hp 2s9.8
4 inch clearance from ground to bottom of sausage, ive been able to add another couple of inches

Just check when on the floor you have clearance on the rear tubes when you pick the front!!!
Old 07 May 2021, 18:49   #38

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

All 5 valves on my excel were loose so it’s pretty common David. I think it’s because the fabric is so stiff when first fitted they need nipping up. nice little set up too
Old 07 May 2021, 18:50   #39

I’ll definitely be doing that, hence the reason I’ll do a template first and mount the wheels to that and clamp to the transom before I start drilling any holes. I read quite a while ago about a small rope handle that someone used to lift the bow,but not too high. but I can’t remember what thread it was. I’ve been looking out for something like it in the shops but so far failed
Old 07 May 2021, 18:53   #40

The only trouble I’ve had with the valves is the fact I didn’t understand how they worked, it took me a little while to figure it out, got there in the end though. Couldn’t get the damn thing back in it’s bag properly after deflating. But that’s something else I’m going to have to learn to do.