Old 10 May 2021, 21:06   #101

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Looks much better with the 14 inch yellows and no they dont do them in red.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:24   #102

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
In case anyone was really tight for loadspace/boot width... I packed the Elling up for the second time last night with more attention to minimising width. Made it to a pack 105x60x38cm which was a useful reduction in width over the first pack offset by a slightly greater depth front to back. I think if that's all the width you had it would then squash into 1m between wheel arches.

Anyway it's all ready in the car for an initial river shakedown soon.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:52   #103

Make: Elling kB 350
You have to tell me your secret. I got 1200 by 700 by 300 lol
Old 12 May 2021, 13:59   #104

Just a teaser and test of iPhone image upload which I’ve not tried before. Not a chance of correcting that on the fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	137367  
Old 12 May 2021, 14:21   #105

Oh now you have gone and got it all wet!

david 1st launch.jpg
Old 12 May 2021, 14:47   #106

Looks good.

Mondeo estates are remarkably practical wagons. I don't hold out much hope for being able to get my sib in the boot without choosing a child to go in the roof box.
Old 12 May 2021, 16:33   #107

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Only see one bench David, is the digg bed for you and the bench for Mrs Fenlander
Old 12 May 2021, 20:44   #108

Well sorry about the twizzled image above... teach me to try and be clever.

So yep today was the day to get it wet. Just on the river as it's minutes away and so convenient at the launch point. Mrs F flat out with work and young pup would have been too much to look after on my own when setting up etc. It was actually a perfect proof of concept that I could manage this new lighter outfit single handed with ease.

I used those green dog "beds" for today Steve as the Aldi gym mat I bought for flooring... which was the ideal size, material and colour... would not lose it's memory of being in a roll since it was made in China... like a blooming spring waiting to coil itself back to a roll at the slightest touch... I'll find another use for it.

But the dog beds/pads are ideal being waterproof and non slip. In truth they are only needed in certain areas of the floor (under fuel tank and where your feet mostly are) so may just get a couple more of those.

Setup was easy... possibly the easiest of any SIB we've owned... 33mins from back of car to water without rushing. The other end of the day 30mins from the water to driving away all properly packed.

One odd thing the very low volume of the centre "keel" throws my Bravo to turn off while it's still soft... so three pumps of the manual pump to finish off.

The Elling is certainly very buoyant... see the image at rest where the floor is perhaps 10cm above water and even with me at the stern under way slowly in the other image the floor just skims the water's surface.

I popped the GoPro on the Borika mount and just left it running. I thought it would vibrate more but the video is good... of course river/sea is chalk/cheese.

As I was solo took the transom wheels with me in that 1942 canvas bag... in the end left on the OE small Zodiac wheels which were fine apart from deep gravel of the car park.

On the water the Elling feels stable and a perfect river platform... with it's flat floor better then the Aerotec. The river is one thing but the sea will be its phase two test asap and I have great anticipation towards that trip.

It feels more responsive to throttle than the Aerotec and tracked quite well given a mostly low speed and a breeze that could have blown it sideways.

It was an idyllic day to be out and if you have to be on the river trickling along respecting the environment and wildlife in the sun is ideal.

I did find a stretch of water outside the environment where a brief few seconds of WOT saw it rising above 17kts with little bow rise in transition. Didn't have a chance to catch sight of the revs but if I was solo lots might benefit to pitch up the prop for the sea.

I used the seat which is a first for me and actually quite liked it... the cushion padding is excellent.

L
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elling part inflated.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	137375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elling displacement static zoom.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	137376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Displacement rear slow.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	137377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elling GoPro mounted.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	137378  
Old 12 May 2021, 20:55   #109

I spent most of the time trickling along some deserted backwaters which are restricted to smallcraft by low bridges and shallows which cuts down the "river waving" which is just a little tiresome when you meet boat after boat on the main run.

In fact these waters have re-kindled my minimal impact gliding along the river interest a little... anyone say Torqeedo?

The derelict house is interesting to me as a demonstration of the passage of time. Some 59yrs ago I was in the front room on the left at a children's party when the house was a riverside property of substance belonging to a local businessman and his family.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elling Goddy pontoon close.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	137380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goddy backwaters bridge.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	137381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elling Goddy backwaters 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	137382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elling Goddy backwaters.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	137383   Click image for larger version

Name:	House ruin.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	137384  

Old 12 May 2021, 20:58   #110

Nice that you enjoyed the day.
I just spotted a new Elling video on Youtube, though im not sure if its featuring the boat or the girl.
Old 12 May 2021, 21:05   #111

And respect with any following comments chaps as I believe that is the good lady that keeps Terry (Tel1965) at the decorating.
Old 12 May 2021, 21:30   #112

Re the errant mat, you could try sticking it under the mattress for a few weeks to reprogram it. Then fold it rather than roll it for storage. Ultimately, a heated bar where you want the folds to be can also be a useful fix.
Old 12 May 2021, 21:45   #113

Ha that mat and me have all but fallen out... I had high hopes when I photographed it in the Elling on first inflate... but even that photoshoot was stressful as it kept popping up every time I stood back to take a shot.

Few more small things come to mind...

I am hooked on those Borika mounts and the fittings. The matching cleats I bought are brilliant in that you can move them about the 7 standard mount positions as suits. Also having the oars mount to any of the three side mount pairs makes rowing from different positions easy. Only thing is the "rowlocks" are fixed such that you can't feather the oars as they are firmly clamped... and I've spent a lifetime rowing like that so it feels odd.

Also I know other SIBS have this now but I've not so far had one where the seat/s can slide to variable positions... genius idea. Perhaps that's historically been why I don't like seats as they have never been in just the right place.
Old 12 May 2021, 21:51   #114

Great first review David, looking forward to more.

If you can't resolve your mat problem, I use EVA mats. Can be cut to size and store flat.

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/carpet...RoCikEQAvD_BwE
Old 12 May 2021, 22:04   #115

I reckon I've some of those in the garage loft from when I built a grippy ramp for the previous dog when he couldn't make the step into the house during his final weeks... must have a look.
Old 13 May 2021, 06:02   #116

Make: Elling kB 350
David. Your right, that is the good wife, although not so good because I didn’t realise she had posted a video on YouTube. I imagine she will be posting a lot more over the summer as I’ve just bought her a gopro 9 to play with. She’s still bugging me about the decorating so while it’s wet outside I’ll have to carry on doing that. Does it ever end ?
Great you got out onto the water with yours, it looks great. I still haven’t had chance to put the wheels on mine yet, but, as soon as we get a dry day here that’s my next thing then try it with the engine on. I haven’t even started that up yet. Waiting few quite a few bits and pieces I’ve bought online over the last couple of days. I think there are only a couple of things left to buy now. A pressure gauge and an outboard stand.
This might be a silly question but, I’ll ask anyway. I imagine you put the engine onto full tilt before you place it on the transom ?
Old 13 May 2021, 19:43   #117

All depends on your transom wheels. Part of the reason for my choice is they are long enough to allow the engine to be fully down in running position and still not hit the ground. You will have to test the degree of tilt you need to clear once your wheels are on.
Old 13 May 2021, 20:01   #118

Is that an old service kit bag up in the bow? My father cut the bottom off his and it's been used as an outboard cover for the small engine ever since I can remember.
Old 13 May 2021, 20:14   #119
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Is that an old service kit bag up in the bow? My father cut the bottom off his and it's been used as an outboard cover for the small engine ever since I can remember.

Are they still issued? I only ditched mine last year!
Old 13 May 2021, 20:19   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The derelict house is interesting to me as a demonstration of the passage of time. Some 59yrs ago I was in the front room on the left at a children's party when the house was a riverside property of substance belonging to a local businessman and his family.
Why is that house derelict David? It has to be worth a small fortune.