Click Here to Login

Old 08 May 2022, 19:50   #81

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I've copied this from the other thread you've started just in case you missed it:

Hi Brian, I had a chat with my daughter this morning with regard to your plight. Up until two years ago she taught law at a sixth form college.

This is her take on it:-

Under no circumstance should you attempt to fix the problem yourself, as any warranty or more importantly "Manufacturers Liability" will be void. Non invasive investigation isn't a problem.

You can if you wish take it back to the "retailer" from where you purchased it, but as its over 12 month ago and due to the distance involved you are probably better dealing with an authorised Suzuki dealership. She advises writing/emailing Suzuki asking them which nearby dealership they would like you to use.
Whithin that email you should outline the problem, mention how little the OB has been used, and even though the first (20hr) service schedule hasn't been done, you think the problem is likely to be caused by a manufacturing defect which should be covered for up to 2 years.

You are covered under the Consumer Protection Act for manufacturing defects, irrespective of any manufacturers service schedule, providing that the fault is not caused by an operational issue or a serviceable item that would have been checked during service and has worn causing the problem.

She has said that she would not mention the CPA at this stage as it can put unnecessary obstacles in the way.

Good luck
Old 23 May 2022, 21:01   #82

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Any update on this? I’m looking at a Suzuki df20 2015 that looks to have exactly the same issue

New impeller all parts changed ran it with the thermostat out. And then put a hose to the thermostat port. Water coming out the exhaust

I’m pretty much convinced water ways are good meaning it’s likely a dodgy sensor
Old 23 May 2022, 21:57   #83

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Any update on this? I’m looking at a Suzuki df20 2015 that looks to have exactly the same issue

New impeller all parts changed ran it with the thermostat out. And then put a hose to the thermostat port. Water coming out the exhaust

I’m pretty much convinced water ways are good meaning it’s likely a dodgy sensor

I think yours sounds like it might have a different issue neil.
But I hope you get it sorted. Its not good when you have no trust in your outboard.

Got an email from my Suzuki approved repair shop with pics showing the impeller was in quite bad condition and even the pump housing is damaged and needs replaced!

They say the damage is typical of what they see when an engine has been run dry for a while but I cant see how that could be.
The only time we know there was no telltale for a while was on the way back to harbour after the last test trip, after the engine light came on and dropped the power.....so god knows.

I still think there was something restricting, but not totally blocking the coolant passage from new, (or possibly another OB fault) that caused the damage, but of course we have no proof of that.
Unless we had stripped down the Ob from new, which then would have invalidated the outboard warranty anyway!

But looking at other pics and videos such as fenlanders of his running in a builders bucket , folk with the same OB got away with a much shallower water level on the leg than us. We also tried muffs before and they didnt work either.

So either my theory or another issues caused the problem, or the few seconds while trying in a builders bucket or with muffs that didnt work caused the damage.

But anyway we will get it serviced and the repairs done by them to keep the warranty for now, and will get her out as soon as we can to test it again.

Any further overheating concerns, then we know for sure there is a problem with the Outboard.....definately not down to us.

The engineers we put it to do have a good rep, so we just have to trust their judgement for now.

To be honest I would be happy to be proved wrong on this occaison just to get out on the water with an outboard we can depend on, and put the experience down to our expensive error.
Old 24 May 2022, 08:37   #84

Ah good luck hope all goes well. It’s surprising how quickly an impeller that’s not wet can rip. Hope this sorts it out for you [emoji106]
Old 24 May 2022, 08:59   #85

Is it worth asking the engineer if there is any evidence of the impeller being lubricated? If there are no signs of any silicon grease then that may help you with an argument to Suzuki that this was a factory issue?
Old 24 May 2022, 09:36   #86

Here is the photos of the damage done. Not surprising it wasn't pumping that much water.
Because we needed to get it serviced at the same time for the warranty anyway, I suppose it only cost for the impeller and housing works (to try make myself feel better) But still costly at £300 for outboard thats only done 3 hrs, with at least half of that in a barrel.
So it's pump housing, liner and gasket. Gear, engine oil and filter. Impeller. Even the plugs (the others kept as spare)
But I think I will do the oil again around the 20hrs due the experiences of you guys here, depending on the hours we get, and not wait to the 1 year/100 hrs next service after the 1 month /20hrs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9290.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	140622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9289.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	140623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9294.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	140624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9293.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	140625  
Old 24 May 2022, 09:44   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Is it worth asking the engineer if there is any evidence of the impeller being lubricated? If there are no signs of any silicon grease then that may help you with an argument to Suzuki that this was a factory issue?
I did explain we had doubts from the start about flow but as far as they can tell there didn't seem to be anything outwith the norm, except the run dry damage. So will see.
Will hook it up to the laptop and record everything in the barrel when we get it back, and take it from there.
Old 24 May 2022, 10:09   #88

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've seen a worn impellor or two... but that's destroyed.

I do wonder if it could have been run dry at the PDI from the start and you've suffered the effects immediately you started using it.
Old 24 May 2022, 11:28   #89

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Wow, that's knackered! Like fenlander says, I've seen a few overheated impellers but never like that. That almost looks like mechanical damage.
I'd really not let this drop with Suzuki, if you can get them to accept this as a manufacture issue, not only will your repair costs be covered, you'll have some recourse if anything else, overheat related appears - which it well could given the engine has been run with that impeller. Conversely, if they don't, it de-facto becomes a problem of your making (irrespective of whether you did or not!) and they'll wash their hands of anything in future that's even vaguely attributable to overheating.
Good luck!
Old 01 June 2022, 18:54   #90

Hi, any update with your Suzi Brinormeg?
Old 01 June 2022, 19:13   #91

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I've seen a worn impellor or two... but that's destroyed.

I do wonder if it could have been run dry at the PDI from the start and you've suffered the effects immediately you started using it.
Having worked in an engine factory, I'd say its just as likely that the guy testing on nights didn't notice there was no water, as opposed to a careful owner who is keeping a close eye on the first run.
Old 01 June 2022, 21:37   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi, any update with your Suzi Brinormeg?

I contacted the Engineers again with all the thoughts from here, and once again today, asking them to have another look at the possible cause.
Also requested more pictures, engine data print-outs etc because of my concerns, and for the possibility of outboard issues in the future.

Hopefully hear from them tomorrow.

Suzuki just give a standard reply..... depending on engineer reports....blah...blah...blah

Im not sure if the data would show exact time/date of issues. as I didnt really have a proper look through everything when connected up to the laptop.
Old 01 June 2022, 21:42   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
I contacted the Engineers again with all the thoughts from here, and once again today, asking them to have another look at the possible cause.
Also requested more pictures, engine data print-outs etc because of my concerns, and for the possibility of outboard issues in the future.

Hopefully hear from them tomorrow.

Suzuki just give a standard reply..... depending on engineer reports....blah...blah...blah

Im not sure if the data would show exact time/date of issues. as I didnt really have a proper look through everything when connected up to the laptop.

I do feel for you bud and hope they find the cause is down to a maufacturing issue.
Old 01 June 2022, 21:57   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I do feel for you bud and hope they find the cause is down to a maufacturing issue.
To be honest I just want to get it back now and get it into the water again as there has been some great time and weather windows recently that we have missed.

The extra expense on top of the service costs isnt really that much, as long as there is no long term damage done to the outboard.
I am just a bit nervous that if there is further issues down the line that Suzuki could get a back door out of a warranty claim.

But will see what the garage come back with anyway.

Whose bright idea was it to buy a brand new outboard to give myself peace of mind and save future hassles?

Cant sell it on here now anyway.....
Old 02 June 2022, 16:01   #95

Thats it on its way home now.....better half picked it up in her car and already I've had 3 text and a missed call complaining about the smell

Girl in office said she would get the engineer to give a report home as well......so will see what it says.
Old 02 June 2022, 16:56   #96

Get those trips planned
Old 02 June 2022, 18:36   #97

Ffs rant

FFS......rant alert!!!

Wife said to guys putting outboard into back of car......"it looked different to the way I showed her" when she delivered it to their workshop!

Opened her boot tonight to find they had it lying on the wrong side, and even the leg seemed a bit higher than we have chanced.
Lifted it up onto the stand and of course some oil came out of the leg. On taken off the cowel it looks like some oil came out the dip stick or somewhere and was laying inside it.

Luckily not much oil in her boot...thank god for boot liners...but for ffs....surely they can read! or should have known!

The clues on the side saying "This Way Up"

Everyone on bloody holiday and I'm going to spend time cleaning oil out of the car and outboard.

On checking the oil level there isn't that large an amount missing, but it sure makes a mess!

But will the outboard be ok to run.....although expecting a smell first run?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220602_172635.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	140727  
Old 02 June 2022, 19:46   #98

Bloody hell Brian, with your luck I wouldn't bother buying a lottery ticket!

This is the way I'd do it :-

Keep it upright on an OB stand for 24hrs. Clean off all visible oil. Remove and clean the plugs. Crank the OB over by hand, a couple of lint free wipes under the plug holes, just in case there's any oil spill from the cylinders. Top up the oil to the correct level. Refit the plugs. Start it up in your water tank.

There will probably be a burning oil smell for a short time, but it shouldn't last long.
Old 02 June 2022, 21:48   #99

Of it doesn’t start you may find oil in the fuel pump. It’s not a huge job to clean but none of this is your problem.

How frustrating
Old 02 June 2022, 22:01   #100

Cheers Steve. Have stuck a few pieces of kitchen roll here and there to catch any remaining oil to save messing the shed floor.
Working tomorrow so will have a look at the weekend and do as you suggest.

Bloody pest.....even more annoying knowing the better half told them it wasn’t right to put the outboard in the car that way (and she knows absolutely zilch about engines) they told her it didn’t matter.
Surely if they were marine mechanics they would have known unless they were apprentices or something!

Yeah neil a total pain, and they are closed until next week and we would find it difficult to get it back to them anyway with our work. Otherwise we would have took it straight back to them to sort out... and they could clean the bloody car as well!