Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just for future reference, don’t drain the fuel. It’s a fuel injected engine with a HP fuel pump that’s cooled by the fuel. They don’t like being run dry.
Does that go for all EFI OBs Dave?
Old 18 April 2022, 16:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
I opened this thread thinking it was about women
You sure 909?

Most expensive "3 MINUTES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd try and delete your last post if I was you!
Old 18 April 2022, 17:10   #23

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
This happened on my new Yamaha once. Light came on, I immediately killed the engine. As I was a fair way out I gingerly re started after 10 mins and it was fine and never did it again. Maybe some seaweed over the inlet, I'll never know.

The only other thing that crossed my mind with the power going, was whether the boat was actually lifting onto the plane. The engine tone will change at this point as it becomes under less load.
Old 18 April 2022, 17:20   #24

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Does that go for all EFI OBs Dave?

Certainly applies to Suzuki & Evinrudes. Can’t speak for other brands. I would assume it does. The EFI fuel systems are sealed and there’s no need to drain them.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 17:22   #25

Quote:
Certainly applies to Suzuki & Evinrudes. Can’t speak for other brands. I would assume it does. The EFI fuel systems are sealed and there’s no need to drain them.
That's good info to know
Old 18 April 2022, 17:24   #26

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Just for future reference, don’t drain the fuel. It’s a fuel injected engine with a HP fuel pump that’s cooled by the fuel. They don’t like being run dry.
You are mind reader pd....that was my next question for you because I read that somewhere while searching google yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
I opened this thread thinking it was about women

Quote:
Another “bleeding obvious” one, you were actually in gear and not trying to rev past 2000rpm in neutral? There’s a rev limiter when in neutral.
Was running fine for a few minutes, just gliding along at approx 2500. I think it was just as i raised the rpm to just under 3000 (at roughly half throttle im guessing) while thinking how much rpm I'ld need to get on the plane, when it suddenly died to 2000 ish and my son then noticed the light on.

Quote:
Hi Brian, so sorry to here your first trip out wasn't that successful.
I'm not experienced enough to give any concrete advice, however a couple of random thoughts.
I'm a great believer in the old adage "if you don't use it, you'll lose it". Is it possible that there is a problem with impeller because it's not been used - reference your comment about a weak telltale and warm/hot barrel of water?
Is your oil level as it should be, have you lost some oil (not laying your OB on its side when transporting), and thats caused low oil pressure?
I wish I could be of more help as I know you've been waiting a long time for your maiden voyage.
I'm in Oban the last two weeks in August, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you to get out on the water if you can find the time.
Oil fine Steve but like you say I did wonder if being in the car that way did perhaps do something, but then again it shouldnt as long as the heads kept well above where it would be on the transom.

But I think i will stick it in a barrel again and actually measure the temp this time becasue I've always had a little niggle at the back of my mind about the OB and sib with various issues from new as you might recall.
Whatever did occur probably is just down to operator error and lack of knowledge but I suppose there is a chance the Ob has issues.

But anyway that would be great steve if we get the time away then.
We were meant to go over in September to lochaline but will let you know nearer the time.

Quote:
You sure 909?

Most expensive "3 MINUTES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd try and delete you last post if I was you!
Well I did have it running for about 6 minutes so a definate improvement

Speaking of engines...I better get my ass in gear and give the grass its first cut while its dry. Got 40 litres of bloody exensive fuel to use up...the mower will think its xmas!
Old 18 April 2022, 18:02   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I realise Aberdeen is a commercial port but does it have a small area where you can get on the water and mess about? Just a thought....
Old 18 April 2022, 18:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I realise Aberdeen is a commercial port but does it have a small area where you can get on the water and mess about? Just a thought....
Not sure about Aberdeen itself, but someone on the forum from a village with a small harbour nearby actually just pm me with the offer of having a look around down there with them which would be great.
We never had the confidence as complete newbies to set out straight to sea, but I think we will have to grow a pair as well
Old 18 April 2022, 18:53   #29

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Not sure about Aberdeen itself, but someone on the forum from a village with a small harbour nearby actually just pm me with the offer of having a look around down there with them which would be great.
We never had the confidence as complete newbies to set out straight to sea, but I think we will have to grow a pair as well
Well that was going to be my next suggestion! Peterhead isn't too far away any it's a large commercial port but within the port is a bay, separated from the main port
by a breakwater, which is used by the public and sea cadets etc. Within that bay is also the marina. It's well sheltered and you can't get blown out to sea.

It's certainly closer than Loch Awe!

Sonehaver is kinda similar in arrangement but I've no experience of it to give advise. But it's closer still.
Old 18 April 2022, 18:58   #30

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Just to add to Davies post you can get water globules form if you drain the engine kidding the sensors that you have enough fuel and the IAC valve restricts fuel air mix giving a reduced RPM as if it’s on the limiter, if you find running in the barrel gives the same result liquid engineering have a product that breaks down water I’ll try and find a link.
For info I use this on every tank full because I had water contamination in my 25
https://liquideng.com/collections/fuel-set-collection
Old 18 April 2022, 19:13   #31

Town: Wyboston, Bedford
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Just to add to Davies post you can get water globules form if you drain the engine kidding the sensors that you have enough fuel and the IAC valve restricts fuel air mix giving a reduced RPM as if it’s on the limiter, if you find running in the barrel gives the same result liquid engineering have a product that breaks down water I’ll try and find a link.
For info I use this on every tank full because I had water contamination in my 25
https://liquideng.com/collections/fuel-set-collection
Just what I need for my motorbike - thanks.
Old 18 April 2022, 19:31   #32

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I have to say when I bought my DF20A new I thought with efi standard filtration and no carb full of fuel festering in storage fuel issues would be a thing of the past.

However a couple of days into a two week holiday it was brought to its knees being a total non-start by what the dealers eventually concluded was contaminated fuel. I arrived on holiday with empty tanks so I wasn't carrying fuel on the long car journey and bought it at a local garage.

I decanted a sample into a clean jar and there wasn't a hint of water or debris but the dealer said the motor otherwise checked out OK and after loads of checking the final thing to get it running was a back flush of the fuel system from the injectors which to them proved it was poor fuel. They did mention there are some very small final filters immediately pre injector (or in the top of the injector perhaps) and it was these they blamed as clogged.

Despite only being a year or so old it was declared as not a warranty issue so I had to pay.
Old 18 April 2022, 19:48   #33

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well that was going to be my next suggestion! Peterhead isn't too far away any it's a large commercial port but within the port is a bay, separated from the main port
by a breakwater, which is used by the public and sea cadets etc. Within that bay is also the marina. It's well sheltered and you can't get blown out to sea.

It's certainly closer than Loch Awe!

Sonehaver is kinda similar in arrangement but I've no experience of it to give advise. But it's closer still.

I have PM’d him about Stonehaven. It’s fine as long as you don’t mind reversing with an audience and driving over some sand castles! The coast south of Stonehaven is great - plenty puffins, there are a couple of long caves you can get right through, a hidden beach! Plenty to explore
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 20:12   #34

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I have to say when I bought my DF20A new I thought with efi standard filtration and no carb full of fuel festering in storage fuel issues would be a thing of the past.

However a couple of days into a two week holiday it was brought to its knees being a total non-start by what the dealers eventually concluded was contaminated fuel. I arrived on holiday with empty tanks so I wasn't carrying fuel on the long car journey and bought it at a local garage.

I decanted a sample into a clean jar and there wasn't a hint of water or debris but the dealer said the motor otherwise checked out OK and after loads of checking the final thing to get it running was a back flush of the fuel system from the injectors which to them proved it was poor fuel. They did mention there are some very small final filters immediately pre injector (or in the top of the injector perhaps) and it was these they blamed as clogged.

Despite only being a year or so old it was declared as not a warranty issue so I had to pay.
Yes David there’s a very fine filter pre the high pressure pump but it doesn’t stop water I did document it on my thread if anyone needs info, as you know I had a two year fight over my problem the sad thing is I don’t know where the water came from the first time in fifty odd years of boating my bet is poorly maintained filters/water separators at garages.
Old 19 April 2022, 09:39   #35

Never really thought about fuel issues before owning an outboard, but have read of quite a few from yourselves and others online.
Hopefully in the future manufacturers will design engines to better combat these issues and not leave it up to the buyers to get solutions. But of course it may also be up to governments and the fuel industries to consider such things.
I also wonder with the introduction of different fuels....if on occasions fuel might also be a scapegoat when problems do arise.

I've ordered one of the ob readers figuring it was a modest outlay in comparison to putting it in for a check over before its 20hr service.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for taking the time to give opinions and help diagnose my OB issues and will report back once I discover the cause.

Unless of course it was just my stupidity....then it will never be mentioned again
Old 19 April 2022, 10:35   #36

Hi Brian, don't forget to maintain your warranty you need to have it serviced at 20 hours our annually whichever comes sooner.
Old 19 April 2022, 12:56   #37

Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Struggling to think what’s wrong with the outboard. I’m not familiar with 4-strokes, but as long as there’s oil in the sump and a good stream of cooling water, no reason for it to overheat? If it happens again, then I’d want a closer look at the impeller, in case it’s spinning on the driveshaft, and missing the key, but surely this outboard would have been PDI?

If you’re looking to simply try it again, you can use Cruden Bay (Port Errol) to launch. There’s an honesty box and if you go around a high tide you can play about outside the harbour. If it’s calm it’s a safe location to test.

Stonehaven if I’m honest isn’t for the faint hearted. On a decent day, half of Aberdeen will be there outside the Ship Inn analysing your reversing skills, but out of the main harbour is about as far as I’d go until you get your sea legs and build up your knowledge. Aberdeenshire charges are £15 to launch and retrieve. Yes I’ve reversed over a kid’s sandcastle, but it’s the crowds that make it intimidating when they are drinking.

Peterhead is a good shout too. Never been in the main harbour, but have cruised up there many a time in search of fish. You don’t want to go out of the inner harbour, given it’s a busy commercial port.
Old 19 April 2022, 15:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Struggling to think what’s wrong with the outboard. I’m not familiar with 4-strokes, but as long as there’s oil in the sump and a good stream of cooling water, no reason for it to overheat? If it happens again, then I’d want a closer look at the impeller, in case it’s spinning on the driveshaft, and missing the key, but surely this outboard would have been PDI?

If you’re looking to simply try it again, you can use Cruden Bay (Port Errol) to launch. There’s an honesty box and if you go around a high tide you can play about outside the harbour. If it’s calm it’s a safe location to test.

Stonehaven if I’m honest isn’t for the faint hearted. On a decent day, half of Aberdeen will be there outside the Ship Inn analysing your reversing skills, but out of the main harbour is about as far as I’d go until you get your sea legs and build up your knowledge. Aberdeenshire charges are £15 to launch and retrieve. Yes I’ve reversed over a kid’s sandcastle, but it’s the crowds that make it intimidating when they are drinking.

Peterhead is a good shout too. Never been in the main harbour, but have cruised up there many a time in search of fish. You don’t want to go out of the inner harbour, given it’s a busy commercial port.
Yeah spent a time in Stoney many many years ago with a lovely young woman, and I can remember how busy the harbour front gets, spilling onto the harbour walls etc itself.
My thoughts are also that once out of the harbour...I'm not sure there would be much safe havens if things go wrong....with alot of cliffs and not much clear landing points. But I suppose its all relative really!

Have fished off the rocks outside the harbour at crudenbay with no success, although some have had great catches of mackerel and cod in the past.
At least there i can head for shore if the crap hits the fan and even I couldn't miss that size of beach

Peterhead mentioned earlier might be an option I never thought of , because I always just thought of the commercial side of years gone by.
But I do remember as a young boy going to the Lido where there was a carnival and a circus. Non of which probably exist anymore.

But cheers for the info

Quote:
Hi Brian, don't forget to maintain your warranty you need to have it serviced at 20 hours our annually whichever comes sooner.
Yes thats partially why we wanted the Loch Awe trip early to get the 20hrs/ 1 year done in time for summer.

But also wanted to spend some quality time with my teenage son who will be off on his on path soon enough!

I think I will have until June for the service because we were supposed to get away early last summer, but it didn't come on time before our booked time off.

But a timely reminder to check exact dates and get this organised steve, and try get the bugger in the water again before then for the 20hrs minimum.
The boat .....not my son that is
Old 19 April 2022, 17:31   #39

RIBase
Quote:
I’m sure it’s 20 hours or 1 month for the first service unless it’s changed I did mine at 6 hours 1 month and the oils were filthy
Old 19 April 2022, 18:04   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I’m sure it’s 20 hours or 1 month for the first service unless it’s changed I did mine at 6 hours 1 month and the oils were filthy
I was assuming it would be the same as Mercury. "Recommended" 20hrs or 3 mths, but definitely 100 or annually if you want to keep the warranty intact.
I did ask Barrus about the 20hrs/100hrs/annual service as its a little ambiguous to say the least.
I was advised 20 hrs - service, if it's done less than 20 hrs but it's 12 months old - service. If its had a 20 hr service - done 100hrs and is less than 12 months old - service.