Old 02 June 2022, 22:17   #101

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As others have said after pulling over with the plugs out, cleaning up and replacing the lost oil no big deal as far as the engine's health goes... but as for the standard of work/care... utterly dreadful.

When I had the first dealer service on my DF20A they did so many things wrong it was unbelievable.
Old 07 June 2022, 22:01   #102

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
As others have said after pulling over with the plugs out, cleaning up and replacing the lost oil no big deal as far as the engine's health goes... but as for the standard of work/care... utterly dreadful.

When I had the first dealer service on my DF20A they did so many things wrong it was unbelievable.
I think I remember reading your posts about your service (or lack of before)

I understand why many like you just service their OB themselves, not only from a cost point of view, but at least you know whats been done and what hasnt.
Still not confident enough to go the full works or indeed have the time or place really, but changing oils and plugs would not be that great a deal.

Good news on the oil front with mine. Took the plugs out and turned her over and very little (if any oil). So looks like most of the oil came from the dip stick leaking I think. But will try it in a barrel tomorrow night to double check how its running. If any issues the garage said they would have a look for free. Its just such a hassel trying to get it to them with our own work commitments

Worst issue I had was getting a narrow enough 8mm socket to fit into one of the holes to get the side panels off, because most of mine or my fathers old limited tools were for larger machines such as a Torque wrench of 210Nm (a bit overkill for the outboard)

Which got me thinking if I was gong to start to at least do some of the servicng myself, what tools would I need...so have started another thread for suggestions as I dont recall seeing one before and the search didnt throw up much.