Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 25 April 2022, 15:33   #61

Town: London
Boat name: No Name
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Reading all of these issues people have had with modern 4 strokes I am pleased We went the older 2 stroke route.

I agree that it should be tested again to see if it was a bag or similar blocking the intake
Old 25 April 2022, 17:59   #62

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
The new Hondas have something you can drain before the injectors according to the Honda bible
The Suzuki does have a drain pipe and drain screw from the fuel vapour seperator which the book says you should drain before laying OB on its side, but as far as I read on here, nobody bothers. Slightly different from what I was doing running it dry which could cause issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie View Post
@Brinormeg. Give Cameron a call at Clyde Outboards. He recently fitted a new outboard on my boat and I was pleased with the work and service.
A bit far for me but if I can't get anyone nearer I will keep them in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I think you need to take the leg off and start tracing a misfit or faulty component and/or water blockage in the water system starting at the inlet grills on the leg. Things to look for, a piece of engine build material or packing material closing off a water passage, a missed alignment of the leg water tube to the engine, impeller fault or failure, blockage within the engine water passages, a stuck closed or partially opening thermostat....there's got to be something causing the overheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Why faff about, just take it back from whence it came and get it fixed under warranty or return it not fit for purpose. You have the proof that it has not been used much.

Ok…..thanks everyone again for all the input.

If money wasn’t an issue, we would have just put the OB in somewhere now, but we just can’t afford to do that on a whim to be honest. We sunk any spare money we had into the setup at the time, believing it was better than taking a chance buying used the way the market was!

Particularly because I can’t be sure exactly what did occur, as we were caught completely by surprise, and did panic not knowing if the engine would run or what was going to happen.

So PD, Steve and the others are right for us to be cautious, and not jump to conclusions that there is actually a fault with the ob as they know we are newbies.(but of course wont admit to anything)

Now if similar ever happens again I will feel a bit more confident not to panic and trust there is a good chance we can just limp back. We will have the anchor at hand just in case and have a radio in the worst-case scenario.

The guys have suggested a couple of relatively safe areas to try it one more time if conditions are ok, and if then there is still an issue, we will have to book it in somewhere with Suzuki approval and hope it is covered by warranty.

As explained earlier in the saga, Suzuki might be difficult about warranty claims due to service history etc but time will tell on that one.

As for returning to the original supplier, the set up was bought from Terry at Excel down south, so would be a proper faff to send back to them, so not an easy option. But if there are further issues I will give him a call anyway and see what he says.

I might end up stripping it down myself if all else fails, but that is a last resort at the moment in case we do totally invalidate whatever warranty we may or may not have.
Also, I have no experience with outboards, have very little free time and limited equipment, so probably not the best option for us.

But its always a good excuse to the better half, to go buy new tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonbonbon View Post
Reading all of these issues people have had with modern 4 strokes I am pleased We went the older 2 stroke route.

I agree that it should be tested again to see if it was a bag or similar blocking the intake
Yip...Cant speak for outboards but as engines in general I found far less to go wrong and far easier to repair when they did. Wouldnt know where to start on a modern moterbike or car!
Old 25 April 2022, 17:59   #63

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ok for me looking at those diagnostics brings questions rather than answers. It seems the alarm was for what they term overheat gradient not absolute high temperature. If I understand it correctly an overheat gradient is where it is seeing a fast rise in temperature that it thinks will lead to an overheat so triggers a code/warning.

I wonder if anyone knows more about overheat gradients?

The actual cylinder temp in the logged data at the time the fault record was generated doesn't seem that high at 83 degC but I don't know what the acceptable range would be for that motor. Perhaps someone with the repair manual could see if that info is available.
According to my 25 hp service manual the thermostat operating temperature is 58-62 degrees C my bet is still the blocked intake unless the thermostat got stuck.
Old 25 April 2022, 18:19   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
According to my 25 hp service manual the thermostat operating temperature is 58-62 degrees C my bet is still the blocked intake unless the thermostat got stuck.
Certainly could be Jeff.
Will hopefully get a chance to check things out better this weekend.
Tempted to have a tinker and have a look at the impeller, pump and test the stat but better not ......yet! Maybe just as well Im busy at work and not on holiday
Old 25 April 2022, 21:40   #65

RIBase
Get it in the bucket again before you do anything. just for info I ran mine in my bin which is a small water butt holds about 40 Ltrs for 10 mins to warm the oil up before changing it didn’t get warm at all in the butt.
Old 25 April 2022, 21:52   #66

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'd try it in a tank / on muffs, and if it plays up again, on test or on the water get straight on to Suzuki. For leisure use there is a 5 year warranty- I expect they will instruct to take to local dealer to assess.

If you are not confident about running it on the water, go somewhere sheltered, and if poss go out in company so you can be towed back if the worst happens.

Having confidence in your engine is really important.

Good luck.
Old 26 April 2022, 03:55   #67

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Why tell him to go back to Suzuki, why not ring Terry at Excel and explain the problems to him, that is where he bought it from. If you bought a new Ford (there are other makes available) from a dealer would you go direct to Ford or ring the dealer if there were problems?
Old 26 April 2022, 04:34   #68

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Why tell him to go back to Suzuki, why not ring Terry at Excel and explain the problems to him, that is where he bought it from. If you bought a new Ford (there are other makes available) from a dealer would you go direct to Ford or ring the dealer if there were problems?

When you buy your metaphorical Ford, you don’t have to take it back to the dealer you bought it from, especially when he’s 500 miles away. You take it to your local dealer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 04:37   #69

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
When you buy your metaphorical Ford, you don’t have to take it back to the dealer you bought it from, especially when he’s 500 miles away. You take it to your local dealer.
We both agree it should be a dealer then, not the manufacturer.
Old 26 April 2022, 10:54   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Get it in the bucket again before you do anything. just for info I ran mine in my bin which is a small water butt holds about 40 Ltrs for 10 mins to warm the oil up before changing it didn’t get warm at all in the butt.
https://youtube.com/shorts/rJGH-pRtG-8?feature=share

Short video from the weekend. Got to above what we would get our guys to set tmvs at.....Think it got to about 46/48°C although ran longer than your and the buckets quite small. I think i mentioned earlier we did think it a bit warm in the past but never tested it and never having an OB before didnt really know any different!

The flow and temp seem ok to you guys? Could try again and time it etc tonight.
Old 26 April 2022, 11:05   #71

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Pee looks ok at tick over to be honest. Exhaust gases will warm up water in a small tub fairly quickly especially if not refreshing with a hose supply in whilst running.
Old 26 April 2022, 11:28   #72

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>The flow and temp seem ok to you guys?

As Chipko says flow is fine, once up to cruising speed that tell tale will firm up a bit more.

Re temp of the tub water... that just isn't important.

Similar to others have said were it mine I'd have been wondering if this was a one-off incident related to a temp intake blockage like a bit of plastic bag or similar.

I would have run it in a bucket as you've done for about 15 mins just varying the throttle now and again but with the diagnostics connected to check the live data temps are as expected.

If all was well I'd have happily taken it out again on the next trip but of course wise to use it for a while in a sheltered area. If it behaves normally as I'd expect it would carry on with the running in process.

If it faults again and lifting the leg shows no intake blockage back in, don't start taking it apart but ring Excel as soon as you get home to see how the warranty works with a long distance purchase.
Old 26 April 2022, 16:43   #73

RIBase
I’ve not run a 20 my 25 tell tale stream is much more stronger that yours it seems a bit lumpy to me that could because there’s not enough head of water Suzukis seem to need deeper water that others in my experience. I had a look at my last readout cylinder temp was at 58 degrees c for info.
Old 26 April 2022, 21:10   #74

Ok cheers guys. Wasnt sure what was normal flow or not, but will keep an eye on it anyway. Regardless how things run at the weekend I will try it on the diagnostics at home again to have something to compare with, because the cylinder temp did seem a good bit higher than your 25hp jeff if the readings are correct.
Old 27 April 2022, 12:07   #75

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Really! and definitely null & void any warranty. You wouldnt do that with a new car, would you?.
Absolutely I would. It appears that the warranty conditions have not been met. What incentive does a dealer have to fix the issue under warranty, particularly a dealer who is not the original seller and what incentive does Suzuki have to honour the warranty claim when the warranty conditions have not been met? Pretty much zilch I'd expect.
Old 08 May 2022, 00:56   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Absolutely I would. It appears that the warranty conditions have not been met. What incentive does a dealer have to fix the issue under warranty, particularly a dealer who is not the original seller and what incentive does Suzuki have to honour the warranty claim when the warranty conditions have not been met? Pretty much zilch I'd expect.
Will find out soon enough how the warranty might stand or not as the case may be.
As per the other thread.......took it out again.....and same fault!
Will contact Terry at Excel and take it from there!!!
Old 08 May 2022, 07:19   #77

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I had the same problem with my outboard and it was the water intake pipe going from the leg up to the pump same issues take it to your local Suzuki dealership and get them to fix it it will be done under warranty if you even try repair you will definitely scrub your warranty hope this helps
Old 08 May 2022, 07:49   #78

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Brian, sorry to hear your still experiencing the same problem.
I would be inclined to take it to a local Suzuki dealer, explaining the situation to them and see if it is covered under warranty.
Old 08 May 2022, 19:07   #79

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
I had the same problem with my outboard and it was the water intake pipe going from the leg up to the pump same issues take it to your local Suzuki dealership and get them to fix it it will be done under warranty if you even try repair you will definitely scrub your warranty hope this helps
I’d be inclined to agree Ali unless the impeller has failed
Old 08 May 2022, 19:15   #80

Yup. There's every chance that it's something really simple.

I think the difficult thing is deciding what the first step should be, speaking to Excel and sending it to them or speaking with the nearest dealer.

If it were me, I'd opt for speaking with the vendor first and it still leaves the door open for all the other options.