Old 19 January 2021, 21:52   #41

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Not wishing to rain on your parade Pompey77 but that shingle beach with plenty of deep footprints tells me you are going to struggle with your boat on your own, with or without launch wheels. Even more so if the boat is loaded with everything inc the outboard in the car park over the road and wheeled over onto the beach.
Balloon tyres are going to be a must but unless there are 2 of you I would find a slipway to launch from to make your day more fun.

Even end of day beaching at high water I think you will need to remove all the heavy stuff to get the boat up the beach.
Old 20 January 2021, 07:18   #42

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: tbc
Make: tbc
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Not wishing to rain on your parade Pompey77 but that shingle beach with plenty of deep footprints tells me you are going to struggle with your boat on your own, with or without launch wheels. Even more so if the boat is loaded with everything inc the outboard in the car park over the road and wheeled over onto the beach.
Balloon tyres are going to be a must but unless there are 2 of you I would find a slipway to launch from to make your day more fun.

Even end of day beaching at high water I think you will need to remove all the heavy stuff to get the boat up the beach.

Many Thanks Oldman, that's exactly what I'm looking for, a reality check if my plans seem unrealistic.

That area of the beach is not usually like that, it was mid storm and the shingle had all been bunched up at the top, but I definitely take the point.

I would plan on making 2 journeys, the photos perhaps don't display it accurately but you can park directly next to the beach, and even the car park is literally steps away from the shingle.

The slipways near here are in to either a very busy harbour or very fast moving water.

It seems like I'm facing the conundrum I've read about so often on the the threads, size/seaworthiness vs weight/maneuverability for launching.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Honwave 3.2 @ 39kg and a TBC 6hp 4stroke which seem to be around the the 25kg mark.

If it's unrealistic to move those separately up the shingle I'll have to consider something lighter for beach, or up size for slipways...

I'm a relatively fit and active 43 year old and 6ft 1. So capable of lifting/dragging a weight, but I certainly don't overestimate my capability, or willingness...
Old 20 January 2021, 07:41   #43

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Engine: Mercury 9.9
When I was getting my sib I was advised to have a 9.9 outboard as a minimum for going out to sea, others more experienced may know better.
Old 20 January 2021, 08:26   #44

Have you seen this thread ?

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/electr...ope-84251.html

Maybe some ideas from there if you can get the car just by the shingle top.
Old 20 January 2021, 08:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
When I was getting my sib I was advised to have a 9.9 outboard as a minimum for going out to sea, others more experienced may know better.
Many thanks. I've read around and I think if I were planning to be a little more adventurous a 9hp+ would definitely be the minimum, however i'm only going to be using it 1 mile from shore max, and up the harbours.
Old 20 January 2021, 09:08   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Have you seen this thread ?

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/electr...ope-84251.html

Maybe some ideas from there if you can get the car just by the shingle top.
Thanks for the link, unfortunately it's a pretty busy promenade/beach at times. So ok to carry the boat on to the beach, but definitely not suitable for winch use.
Old 20 January 2021, 09:29   #47

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
Thanks for the link, unfortunately it's a pretty busy promenade/beach at times. So ok to carry the boat on to the beach, but definitely not suitable for winch use.
Sounds like you have very few options then! Can I suggest a few trips from your car down the beach, beach rollers and brute force.

As for a 6hp OB, some people will say its OK. Others, including myself, will always want that bit more hp as a "just in case"

Hull side down on the roof, give it a go! Nothing to lose (well, maybe your new T32 ) You can always change it at a later date if it doesn't work.
Old 20 January 2021, 09:42   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Sounds like you have very few options then! Can I suggest a few trips from your car down the beach, beach rollers and brute force.

As for a 6hp OB, some people will say its OK. Others, including myself, will always want that bit more hp as a "just in case"

Hull side down on the roof, give it a go! Nothing to lose (well, maybe your new T32 ) You can always change it at a later date if it doesn't work.
Yep, the options are limited. But I was hoping this wasn't a unique situation.

I should probably add that I intended to partially deflate the air keel with that hull down option, for a 0.3 mile journey. But you're right, probably not the brightest idea i've ever had...
Old 20 January 2021, 12:40   #49

I have found this video which shows the Honwave t32 being launched and retrieved on a shingle beach, both with standard and then balloon wheels.

It would appear to make life a lot easier.

Old 20 January 2021, 12:59   #50

I have also previously viewed that video, the balloon wheels do really make a difference. So they should for the price of them. What you will notice is that the guy doesnt appear to have anything else in the boat but an engine so very little nose weight & he's about 40yrs younger than me!
So it may be possible to retrieve the boat up the shingle but I think you will be emptying anchor, chain, rope, fuel, tackle etc to drop the bow weight.

One more thing I considered is if you go for balloons then you if boating alone either need to make room in the boat for them while your having your fun, or you need to remove and store them in the car before heading out. This last option means you will have to try and beach the boat fully loaded and pull it clear of the water on anything but a flat calm day, or the surf will be hitting the transom and filling the boat while you go get the wheels.
I'm trying not to be a pessimist here but considering the pitfalls.
Old 20 January 2021, 13:42   #51

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I'm trying not to be a pessimist here but considering the pitfalls.

I am a fair bit with Oldman here. I'd rather drive a few more miles and launch into a bit of a flow or busy area in a harbour or estuary... than single hand shingle beach launch/recover in surf.

Difficult to advise others on a new 6hp 4-stroke vs Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke. Insignificant weight difference and a new 6hp for about the same price as a dealer price 15yr old Tohatsu might attract. Personally for a T32 I'd go for the used Tohatsu to get the twin cylinders and 60% extra power.... but fully understand if brand/nearly new attracts.
Old 20 January 2021, 15:19   #52

Many Thanks Oldman2 and Fenlander

The photos may have been a little bit misleading as the storm had really banked the beach, and its generally, by UK standards, quite a calm coastal stretch, as sheltered by the IOW.

But you have really got me thinking.

The vast majority of trips (90%) will be solo, as we have a baby and toddler, and they will be mostly during the week as I have flexible working hours and the weekends are spent looking after the nippers.

So as I see it I either downsize for weight purposes, and as a result I really limit the conditions I could go out in, to basically a millpond... Unless I go up harbour to another slipway about 4 miles away and stay in the calm water there.

or

I upsize slightly to 3.5/3.8m SIB, go for the 9.8hp and use the slipway in to the tidal Langstone Harbour.

The reality would appear to be that despite living right by the area I want to fish, i'll have to detour for practicality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210120-161238.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	136118  
Old 20 January 2021, 15:23   #53

Of course the the worst scenario would be to buy the t32 and then not be able to either retrieve it on the beach or feel comfortable with it going out of the harbour.
Old 20 January 2021, 15:35   #54

Someone has to say it!

Really, what is your concern?

3 mins from a beach where you can launch on calm days and 8 mins from a slip for when it's not quite so calm. Oh what luxury! 99% of us would love to have such problem.

I have the feeling you are over complicating things a little.

Go with your gut. You've done the research, come to a sound conclusion that the 3.2 Honwave is the one for you. Married up to a good 9.8hp 2 stroke or new 6hp. Use beach rollers on the beach and transom wheels on the slip.
Old 20 January 2021, 18:10   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Someone has to say it!

Really, what is your concern?

3 mins from a beach where you can launch on calm days and 8 mins from a slip for when it's not quite so calm. Oh what luxury! 99% of us would love to have such problem.

I have the feeling you are over complicating things a little.

Go with your gut. You've done the research, come to a sound conclusion that the 3.2 Honwave is the one for you. Married up to a good 9.8hp 2 stroke or new 6hp. Use beach rollers on the beach and transom wheels on the slip.
Thanks Steve, I can appreciate it probably comes across like I'm over complicating things, but I laid out my plans, boat/outboard/transport/location etc to sense check it with the knowledge & experience here, and a lot of the cautionary advice I've received about the beach retrieval seems sound. If I'd had lots of comments saying it wasn't an issue I'd probably be sat waiting for my boat to arrive by now.

It's also worth mentioning that the slip 8mins away is only an option with a bigger boat/OB. It's notoriously fast running entrance and you then have to skirt out and around a sand bank. Definitely not a less calm option.

In a nutshell if I get the set up I proposed and I can't retrieve it on the beach I'm buggered.
Old 20 January 2021, 18:31   #56

Have you seen other people launching a SIB directly from the beach where you want to launch from?
If not, think you have to ask why.
Old 21 January 2021, 08:08   #57
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Hi, the slipway at Langstone looks easy if tidal. I used the one at the Ferryboat on the other side for years with my SR4.
There’s a strong current but if single handed, I used to pull the boat on the sand and hold it with the anchor while I got/dropped off the car and trailer.
The big fun there is always the audience - there’s a huge one on a hot bank holiday, all drinking beer![emoji16]
It’s amazing how quickly you get good at it!!

I haven’t seen anyone launching a SIB over the beach in Southsea but I don’t see why not - IMO you’ll have to load the boat at the water though.
Old 22 January 2021, 05:56   #58

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport350 View Post
On a small SIB when the sea is rough, it is often safest and most comfortable to go at "hull speed" rather than planing.

My SIB is a 310 and will go just under 20 mph (measured by GPS) on the 9.9 hp and will just make the plane on flat water with the 3 hp with only me and safety kit on board.

Plenty of boats of all kinds go out to sea that have a maximum speed comparable to a SIB with a small engine such as 3 hp or so.

If you are sensible about weather conditions, and plan for the tides where relevant, you can have a lot of safe fun on the sea with a much smaller engine than 9.9.
Old 22 January 2021, 07:09   #59

Town: Paignton
Make: sunsport
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
On a small SIB when the sea is rough, it is often safest and most comfortable to go at "hull speed" rather than planing.

My SIB is a 310 and will go just under 20 mph (measured by GPS) on the 9.9 hp and will just make the plane on flat water with the 3 hp with only me and safety kit on board.

Plenty of boats of all kinds go out to sea that have a maximum speed comparable to a SIB with a small engine such as 3 hp or so.

If you are sensible about weather conditions, and plan for the tides where relevant, you can have a lot of safe fun on the sea with a much smaller engine than 9.9.
I wanted a smaller OB because of the weight but went for the 9.9 because I prefer to have a bit of extra power if needed, plus the weather can change quickly, and pompey77 is saying that a potential launch site has a fast current.
Old 03 February 2021, 21:31   #60

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave t38
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp
I have 15hp 4 stroke honda in classifieds if interested and can recommend a T38 honwave, fave outboard on it is 2 stroke tohatsu 18hp

Tags
sib