Old 14 January 2021, 09:00   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: tbc
Make: tbc
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
1st SIB, help please

Hi
I wondered if anybody could help/offer some advice? I have read the posts and threads extensively (thank you for the*fantastic content) so this is more a request for current opinion.

Bit of background, I've owned boats, and used my friends*5m rib in recent summers. That has now gone and I'm looking at SIBS.
I live on the South Coast and the usage is primarily coastal fishing, within 1 mile of shore, and up harbour.

Restrictions*around boat storage, driveway size and access to slipways has led me to SIBS. ideally in the plus 3m+ size, airdeck, with a 9hp motor. The majority of the motoring will be to a mark very close to shore, then drift or anchor, so performance isn't a massive consideration, as long as it can handle the tide.

My questions are;

1) How realistic is it to*load an inflated 40kg SiB on to a car roof (Audi Q5 with roof rails), just for a 1 mile drive to the beach? This would often be on my own, and would be a time saver to enable parking right by the beach, where the*promenade is quite busy and a full inflation/set up from the bag process may be tricky.*

2) Of the SIBS available, and still in production, what is considered the best tube size option for coastal*use?

3) With Covid/Brexit impact on ebay/used shopping and buying from certain overseas suppliers I have narrowed down my search, based on quality, size, weight and cost, to the Honwave T32 Inflatable Airdeck. I wondered if anybody could suggest an alternative I may have missed, the sub 40kg weight being key. E.G. Boatworld 330 or Sunsport 3m.

Many thanks
Old 14 January 2021, 09:24   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Seems like you've absorbed info here well and are looking in the right direction.

For your intended use an airdeck around the Honwave T32's size weight is probably the ideal. Some folks might advise going up to a 3.8m for better seakeeping but there is a jump up in bulk that can be a pain to handle alone.

The Honwave is a sound choice (albeit there have been quality issues with the 3.8 model for a couple of years but dealers seem to have always replace/refunded OK). There are of course cheaper lesser known brand clones with a very similar design for lesser cost.

Probably the biggest nuisance of the Honwave is its rear trim tabs needing special, expensive and somewhat wobbly launch wheels. They have removed these tabs on this year's model in the 3.8m size... not sure about the 3.2m.

One SIB that's gaining interest and owners on here is the Elling KB350 and you might like to research that.

I would be wary of the other brands that make an air floor design where the air floor is flat with no V-shape as they can give rise to unpredictable problems of the prop losing grip. To be fair though more of a problem on the larger models than the 3.2m but it's always a possible issue.

Another alternative is a folding GRP hull type like the F-rib. However you need to be very sure their attributes are what you need as your budget would have to be £1000 or so over that of a Honwave.

A motor of 10hp will give decent performance one up and be OK for two as long as you aren't both too heavy.

Are you looking at a new motor or perhaps a used 2-stroke? In any case engine weight is key to portability.

I can say from experience a SIB is very awkward and bulky to lift onto a car roof but is doable with the right roof rails/cross bars and a well worked out way of perhaps leaning it upended against the car then lifting/pushing on.
Old 14 January 2021, 09:47   #3

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I used to load my 310 sib with wooden floor on to a roof rack with no problems.

I used to sit the boat on the ground at the back of the car, transom to rear bumper, and with cheap buckets held on with a bungy cords over the cones, I lifted the bow and allowed the boat to stand upright and with it leaning against the car, then I'd pick up the transom and help it slide to the right spot on the roof rack.

It was wasn't difficult but made much easier with transom wheels to get it were you want it without damage.

I love my little sib, I hope to get it out of hibernation this season. Although I do now have a trailer for it.

Have fun.
Old 14 January 2021, 15:29   #4

Thank you for the detailed responses, I did read about the Elling KB350, however they are out of stock at Boatworld, although I have emailed them.

Regarding the lift on to the car, thank you Ribtecer. I have seen numerous videos on youtube and believe its doable with a little care. Even if its to inflate and take with me, but then deflate and put in the boot for the return journey.
Old 14 January 2021, 20:29   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Google side loading roof rack
Old 15 January 2021, 17:15   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Pompey77 and welcome,

I put my SD360 on the roof a lot.
It's 58kg and I can just about manage it on my own. There is a knack to it but after doing it a few times I can now do it without making myself look like an idiot! Anything around the 40kg mark would be very easy - IMO
I use 2 lengths of scant as cross members. Drilled and attached to the roof rails with 10mm U bolts. I've covered them with carpet to make it easier to slide the SIB on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0132.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	136072  
Old 15 January 2021, 19:47   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://youtu.be/9sBzEoZeEfs
Old 15 January 2021, 20:46   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I can tell you that a 310 with a 9.9 4 stroke and all my kit and camping gear fits INSIDE my civic with room for 2 passengers. It takes just a few minutes to get it on the water and only part of that is assembling and inflating the hull.

Can't see why I'd choose the convenience of an inflatable and then incur the inconvenience of putting it on and off the car roof.
Old 15 January 2021, 21:57   #9

Hi Mike, think your missing the point that Pompey77 was making - "where the promenade is quite busy and a full inflation/set up from the bag process may be tricky" - I can understand that, even a full car park can be a pain in the arse trying to inflate a SIB.
Personally if I'm out for a day in Conwy, it's SIB in the back of the truck, inflate when I get there and deflate when I'm going home. However, if I'm in the Lakes for a week or Devon for a couple of weeks, it's on the roof of the truck. Less hassle and I'm out on the water much quicker.
I think its horses for courses and what is right for one may be a pain for another.
Old 16 January 2021, 05:33   #10

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Seems like you've absorbed info here well and are looking in the right direction.
+1 as usual spot on advice.
Old 16 January 2021, 06:35   #11

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Mike, think your missing the point that Pompey77 was making - "where the promenade is quite busy and a full inflation/set up from the bag process may be tricky" - I can understand that, even a full car park can be a pain in the arse trying to inflate a SIB.
Personally if I'm out for a day in Conwy, it's SIB in the back of the truck, inflate when I get there and deflate when I'm going home. However, if I'm in the Lakes for a week or Devon for a couple of weeks, it's on the roof of the truck. Less hassle and I'm out on the water much quicker.
I think its horses for courses and what is right for one may be a pain for another.
Fair point. I missed that line in the OP and shot from the hip.
Old 16 January 2021, 11:42   #12

I see the whole Honwave range has been updated in line with the T38 and thank goodness the T32 (perhaps all of them) has lost the transom tabs. Looks a tidy boat now... in stock too at the moment.

Shame they deleted the forward carry handles though.

https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/hon...9.html#SID=642
Old 16 January 2021, 12:51   #13

Than you for all of your responses.

The other issue I have is the access to slipways, one is in to the entrance of Langstone harbour, named "the run" and would require flat calm in my opinion. The other is into the camber dock, then Portsmouth harbour, which is about as busy and hazardous as it gets. So neither are ideal.

I live 500m from Southsea front, too far and inconvenient to walk a boat down, but annoyingly close...
So the plan would be to park up and inflate when out of season, but mid summer, bank holidays etc to put it on the roof.

Another quick question, re the OB. I'm considering either the Tohatsu 9.8 or a Honda 8. I wondered what would be considered a reasonable price these days for a well maintained older model? It seems that with CV19 ebay doesn't necessarily have the quantity of ads it would usually have.

Thanks again
Old 16 January 2021, 12:55   #14

Tohatsu in 2 or 4 stroke form?
Old 16 January 2021, 14:08   #15

Sorry, 2 stroke
Old 16 January 2021, 15:32   #16

The Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke is a gem... I've owned one and would buy another instantly if I was in that HP range. A simple (in a good way) easily maintained design and only around 26kg so very very easy to manage. Still available new if you can show business use.

The Honda 8hp is a very different beast... at a hefty 42kg it's about the weight of a modern 20hp efi. To me it's an outboard to stay on a heavier trailed or moored boat.

Re prices... the Tohatsu has always been something of a holy grail so they often fetched £1000-£1200 if a minter in the later black finish. Earlier ones in grey finish perhaps £750-£1000.

No idea what covid and the inability to get on the water has done to prices.
Old 16 January 2021, 15:35   #17

Hi David (is it too late to be saying Happy New Year!)
I'm just being curious, why is the 8hp 2s Honda so heavy?
Old 16 January 2021, 15:52   #18

It's been a weird year for the trad happy new year wishes as I know within my family and friends some are having a real hard time for differing reasons around covid so the whooping and cheering on my part has been a bit muted. However yes I do hope 2021 is the year things improve for us all.

Honda traditionally have been on the heavy side. They were early adopters of 4-stroke and very popular decades ago on river boats and clinker harbour boats... but less so on portable setups.

I'm guessing the 8hp must be a downrated power version of a larger model.

Tohatsu 9.8 on the other hand is an uprated version of the 6 & 8HP hence the light weight. Beware though Tohatsu also make a 9.9 2-stroke which is a downrated version of the 15HP hence a hefty 41kg.
Old 17 January 2021, 08:09   #19

Town: Hill Head
Boat name: SolentPirate
Make: Waveline
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2stroke
The shingle slipway at Eastney is a good launch spot for a sib, plenty of free parking and a good concrete patch at the top of the slip to set up (next to the ECA). I've launched a 4m sib with 25hp 2 stroke there many times, for trips to the Ship Inn and along Southsea beach, to Stokes Bay and back. No drama. All fit in a 3 door golf gti with back seats down!

One bit of advice, the tide is strong at Langstone and really need 10-15hp+ to get on. The entrance to the harbour is rough usually so need the power and confidence to maneuver 2-3ft chop. 15-25hp 2 stroke prob good for your intended set up. Lighter and faster.
Old 17 January 2021, 10:09   #20

Thanks Liam, yep Langstone is my home turf. I used to keep a 16ft dory in the ECA and fish the run/ski up the harbour. As I'm looking for the blend between portability and seaworthiness I'd probably only feel comfortable putting a 3.2m sib in at Langstone on a very calm day.

I should have mentioned before that this a 3-4 year option, we have a 1 and 2 year old, so once they are a little older we'll hopefully up size.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Honwave 3.2 and a Tohatsu 9.8 2stroke. I've seen new Boats for around £1.1k and been offered a fully refurbished OB for £1.2k

Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks again

Tags
sib