Old 03 July 2021, 08:16   #1

Town: Southampton
Length: 4m +
Using VHF radio

Good morning forum,
We've changed our rib recently to 2008 Rib eye A500 which has a VHF radio. I've never used one before and will book a course soon. Do I need an operator's licence to use it or is the radio unit registered which is the licence? The boat came with all the VHF instructions, call sign, numbers etc.
Keen to radio into marinas around our area etc.
Thanks as always.
Old 03 July 2021, 08:43   #2

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura 155 View Post
Good morning forum,
We've changed our rib recently to 2008 Rib eye A500 which has a VHF radio. I've never used one before and will book a course soon. Do I need an operator's licence to use it or is the radio unit registered which is the licence? The boat came with all the VHF instructions, call sign, numbers etc.
Keen to radio into marinas around our area etc.
Thanks as always.
My understanding is that you "should" have an operators license, but most people don't. I certainly don't have one - but am confident enough using a VHF. You will find plenty of online 'courses' which tell you the basics about using DSC+VHF, which channels to use and how to use them etc as well as basic radio etiquette.

Others may jump in and correct me here though!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2021, 08:59   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
This subject has been discussed to the Nth degree over the years including very recently, the search function will reveal plenty of info.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2021, 16:32   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Yes licence is a legal requirement...but tge course isn't too expensive.
Old 03 July 2021, 18:38   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
https://www.rib.net/forum/f37/vhf-ra...les-86298.html

There you go
Old 08 July 2021, 19:02   #6

Town: Bristol
I thought the course was a legal requirement.

I'm happy I did the course as the one time I've really needed it, it served me well.
Old 10 July 2021, 11:25   #7

I don't think the course is a legal requirement, but you do need to pass an exam which is very much based on what the course teaches you.

It is possible to do in-person or online, if you choose in-person it is usually a bit more expensive and you basically do a full day of intensive learning and then sit the exam at the end of the day. If you choose online learning, you study at your own pace and then contact the training provider to book the exam when you're ready. Some training places will allow you to sit the exam at their centre without having purchased the training through them but will charge you a fee. You have to pay £60 to the RYA for the exam regardless.

When I did it I chose the online learning, it's an interactive thing made by the RYA which is very good and even though I have 8+ years of all manner of two way radio experience, I think even someone who has never touched a radio before will be able to pass the exam after a decent few hours of studying.

As others may have mentioned it is not illegal for any unlicensed person to operate a marine VHF radio (even on land) in an event where there is serious risk of loss of life or vessel.
Old 10 July 2021, 21:13   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
I don't think the course is a legal requirement, but you do need to pass an exam which is very much based on what the course teaches you.

I may be wrong but I don’t think you can sit the exam without taking the course.
Old 10 July 2021, 23:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I may be wrong but I don’t think you can sit the exam without taking the course.
Technically, there are some exceptions. If you have a old VHF certificate (pre-gmdss), or a aviation GMDSS license you can skip straight to exam...
Old 11 July 2021, 08:06   #10

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
I don't get peoples logic here. The fact that an operators license is a legal requirement is almost a secondary consideration. Your VHF is primarily there as a piece of safety equipment that is there, ultimately to help save the lives of you and your crew.... And people are not interested in becoming fully competent in operating it in an unfamiliar and stressful situation (i.e. A mayday), all you're interested in is proving you have a minimum level of competence to pass an exam? Really?
DO
THE
COURSE

it's a small amount of money and time that could save the lives of you and your crew.... You never know you might learn something!
Old 11 July 2021, 09:04   #11

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
I don't get peoples logic here. The fact that an operators license is a legal requirement is almost a secondary consideration. Your VHF is primarily there as a piece of safety equipment that is there, ultimately to help save the lives of you and your crew.... And people are not interested in becoming fully competent in operating it in an unfamiliar and stressful situation (i.e. A mayday), all you're interested in is proving you have a minimum level of competence to pass an exam? Really?
DO
THE
COURSE

it's a small amount of money and time that could save the lives of you and your crew.... You never know you might learn something!
well said
Old 11 July 2021, 09:44   #12

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
My feeling is its more important to carry the vhf regardless of holding the license, whilst the licence will help you with use & etiquette. If you dont have the radio because you dont have the licence then your in a far worse situation than you would be in an emergency if you had a radio and not even a clue how to use it. If you scream help on ch16 someone will reply & if you are in danger no one will care that you didnt cry mayday mayday mayday rib clueless.........blah blah!
A lot of folk are new to boating, especially this year & many will be clueless but we all started somewhere. Setting up a new boat is expensive and some items may be beyond the reach of some folks budgets. In my opinion if the choice was buy the radio & dont do the course till funds allow or do the course & save up for the radio later I'm afraid I'd always say buy the radio do some online research on basic use & save it for emergency use & do the course later.
Old 11 July 2021, 10:51   #13

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I agree, a VHF is better carried even if you dont know how exactly how to call for help. The RYA VHF radio book is cheap enough to give an insight as to how to use the radio if your in trouble.
Old 12 July 2021, 08:04   #14

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
"If you scream help on ch16 someone will reply & if you are in danger no one will care that you didnt cry mayday mayday mayday rib clueless.........blah blah!"

You're absolutely right.... They won't care, but you will, when you fail to give the most critical bit of information first, I.E. your location, as you would have been taught on the course and most importantly PRACTICED, then you sink or your radio dies and your rescuers don't have a scooby where you are!

When you, your crew and your family are floating around waiting for rescue you might just regret that 2days / £200 you didn't spend on becoming a little more competent.

I rest my case....
Old 12 July 2021, 08:11   #15

Boat name: Wakey
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
"If you scream help on ch16 someone will reply & if you are in danger no one will care that you didnt cry mayday mayday mayday rib clueless.........blah blah!"

You're absolutely right.... They won't care, but you will, when you fail to give the most critical bit of information first, I.E. your location, as you would have been taught on the course and most importantly PRACTICED, then you sink or your radio dies and your rescuers don't have a scooby where you are!

When you, your crew and your family are floating around waiting for rescue you might just regret that 2days / £200 you didn't spend on becoming a little more competent.

I rest my case....

The course is available for as little as £90 and at that price you would be mad not to.
Old 12 July 2021, 11:58   #16

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I've found that, due to a lack of practice, I get tongue tied whilst talking on the VHF as I struggle to remember to say the station name I'm calling, my name and over at the end of each transmission plus I end up adopting a 'radio voice' which buggers me up further.

Using the VHF to organise berths, speak to other boats etc is a good way to practice your general VHF communication. You shouldn't be doing any of this without a license.

Whilst the shouting of Mayday over the VHF will obviously get people's attention, the ability to subsequently communicate effectively may help to save people's lives. If it is the first time you have used the VHF because you haven't got the license, it will most likely impair your ability to communicate effectively with whoever is trying to help you.

As a result I'd recommend doing the course and get the license and then you can practice (legally) to your hearts content.
Old 12 July 2021, 12:58   #17

Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I've found that, due to a lack of practice, I get tongue tied whilst talking on the VHF as I struggle to remember to say the station name I'm calling, my name..
.. then you can practice (legally) to your hearts content.
Don't have to press a radio button to practise what to say as we found out on our PB2 course. Just say it out loud.

Waterproof cue cards or a custom sticker will help. The mind can freeze in an emergency no matter how practised.
buy vhf mayday stickers here

Old 12 July 2021, 13:15   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I have typed up and laminated a small cue card which I carry in my lifejacket pocket with the radio so if I was incapacitated anyone with me would have the basics to call for help.
Old 12 July 2021, 13:40   #19

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:

I rest my case....

Yes of course do the course when you can, but not having a vhf because you haven’t would just be stupid. Would you not leave a gun with someone When there’s lions about in case they hurt themselves 🤣Pressing the dsc button is not beyond the gift of most people and will give your position/ vessel etc. It’s usually part (or should be at least) of the safety briefing when helming single handed often to people who’ve never been on a boat and simply saying it’s PTT release to listen. If they can do it…
The caveat to this is setting it up of course [emoji3]
Old 12 July 2021, 15:16   #20

Town: Aberdeenshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I have typed up and laminated a small cue card which I carry in my lifejacket pocket with the radio so if I was incapacitated anyone with me would have the basics to call for help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Yes of course do the course when you can, but not having a vhf because you haven’t would just be stupid. Would you not leave a gun with someone When there’s lions about in case they hurt themselves 🤣Pressing the dsc button is not beyond the gift of most people and will give your position/ vessel etc. It’s usually part (or should be at least) of the safety briefing when helming single handed often to people who’ve never been on a boat and simply saying it’s PTT release to listen. If they can do it…
The caveat to this is setting it up of course [emoji3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Don't have to press a radio button to practise what to say as we found out on our PB2 course. Just say it out loud.
As one of the many complete newbies who will be out on the water this year be it on a sib, rib, paddle board or whatever.....and someone who has bought and registered a new vhf....but who will be out in a sib before I sit both the pb2 or radio exam....it does make sense to at least to consider the above, but unfortuanely there will be many who wont bother