Old 12 July 2021, 18:57   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
As one of the many complete newbies who will be out on the water this year be it on a sib, rib, paddle board or whatever.....and someone who has bought and registered a new vhf....but who will be out in a sib before I sit both the pb2 or radio exam....it does make sense to at least to consider the above, but unfortuanely there will be many who wont bother
Glad to see someone taking a sensible approach, many of us have been going to sea since before we had vhfs and mobiles & we survived. You've obviously taken the sensible approach to modern communications and decided the hardware is handy to have even without the required "ticket", plenty of info available online to get you by if you in a fix. Training isnt the be all it might appear as it can build in over confidence which is even worse.
Enjoy your time on the water I'm sure you'll be fine
Old 12 July 2021, 20:08   #22

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I have typed up and laminated a small cue card which I carry in my lifejacket pocket with the radio so if I was incapacitated anyone with me would have the basics to call for help.
Same, but a fixed radio so kept right next to it.
Tempted to say it's idiot proof - tested on my sons who found it straightforward - but long experience has taught me there's no such thing!

You can have done all the courses & got all the certificates but if you're the casualty odds are that the person needing to use it will never have used one before.
Old 12 July 2021, 20:09   #23

Town: Bristol
Length: no boat
At £90 to do the course, this really shouldn't be a debate.
Old 12 July 2021, 21:03   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I've spent a large amount of my life at sea, I've still done the PB2 course, updated my first aid and done the vhf course and test. It's all basic stuff but you learn things, it's still fun and your insurance is a bit cheaper.
Old 12 July 2021, 22:07   #25

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
The course is available for as little as £90 and at that price you would be mad not to.
For some, £90 will be all they will spend on fuel this season. For others they will be tipping the lad on the fuel barge that much.

If you have £100 to spend on safety kit is it better spent on the certificate or a HH radio?
Old 12 July 2021, 22:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
You're absolutely right.... They won't care, but you will, when you fail to give the most critical bit of information first, I.E. your location, as you would have been taught on the course and most importantly PRACTICED, then you sink or your radio dies and your rescuers don't have a scooby where you are!
How often does that happen?
If you are designing a perfect message it makes sense to plan for it. But how often is a mayday received and all contact lost? From a RIB? In genuine distress?

Quote:
When you, your crew and your family are floating around waiting for rescue you might just regret that 2days / £200 you didn't spend on becoming a little more competent. .
Most common issue on a RIB is engine. Would the £200 be better spent on a service?
Old 14 July 2021, 19:39   #27

Town: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
How often does that happen?
If you are designing a perfect message it makes sense to plan for it. But how often is a mayday received and all contact lost? From a RIB? In genuine distress?

Most common issue on a RIB is engine. Would the £200 be better spent on a service?
I would suggest both.

Your at sea, don't go out without the correct safety equipment and properly serviced kit

If someone's on a budget, take your time, save and do it right.
Old 15 July 2021, 06:29   #28

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
It's not just about sending your own mayday / panpan etc if you get in to trouble, it's also being able to communicate with others e.g. to assist / warn others, communicate with harbour authorities etc...

Imho
Step 1 get a radio so there is a way of communicating inemergency.
Step 2 do the course so you can use it legally and with confidence.

In the scale of buying / running / maintaining a boat these are not big one off costs, and can be phased if budget is really tight.
Old 15 July 2021, 08:00   #29

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I think a lot of folk overthink the whole radio thing
Its not mandatory to carry nor essential many folk myself included started boating before radios were even available and we survived
Heres my take on it:-
A radio fixed or hh is handy but not a prerequisite for going boating, doing the src course is a sensible move & will teach you proper use and etiquette it doesnt guarantee you a better response in an emergency as the cg will lead you with questions to obtain the information.
All of the info on the course is available from the course syllabus book & online.
If your setting up a boat with limited funds/time my approach would be buy a decent radio as soon as funds allow, research and practice use of it & save it for emergencies. Next step would be do the src when funds and time allow & your all sorted & everyone is happy.
Using a radio without an src cert wont get the radio licence police knocking on your door if used correctly. Even not knowing the correct procedure for calling a mayday wont get you thrown into the stocks & publicly stoned.
Having a radio without an src cert will raise the alarm which puts you in a far better position in an emergency than if you didnt have the radio because you were frightened youd get into bother for not having the src.
Old 15 July 2021, 09:13   #30

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
Quote:
......They won't care, but you will, when you fail to give the most critical bit of information first, I.E. your location, as you would have been taught on the course and most importantly PRACTICED,.......
When I did the online course three years ago the model answer for the Mayday practice question gave the position incorrectly i.e. it didn't follow the recommended format of the Standard Marine Vocabulary as explained in the RYA's own VHF handbook.
The RYA didn't attach much importance to it as it was still wrong 12 months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
.......If you are designing a perfect message it makes sense to plan for it.....
So anyone designing a perfect message in accordance with the online course that they had paid for would in fact be designing an imperfect message!
Old 15 July 2021, 10:58   #31

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I've had a VHF licence for years now, and have only been asked about it once.

In Portsmouth Harbour you are supposed to contact QHM by VHF or phone to request permission to cross the main shipping channel, which I always do.

On this occasion I was launching at the Camber and had arranged to tow a work Colleagues Yacht with a broken engine from Gunwharf Quays to Hasler, across the shipping channel.

Whilst setting the yacht up alongside the RIB we noticed a harbourmasters launch outside Hasler stopping boats crossing the channel and about to cross the channel.

I called QHM and informed them of my intension to cross with the yacht alongside and as they often do I was asked to wait for a ferry to pass.

When we got to the other side the Harbourmasters launch met us, and thanked me for informing them that I was about to cross with the Yacht alongside, and they explained that the Ferry captain had part heard my conversation about a Yacht in tow and had called them to ensure the Channel was clear.

They explained that they were having a little purge of small craft, reminding owners to call QHM by VHF or Mobile when they want to cross the channel.

Just as they were about to leave, almost as an afterthought, they asked if I had my paperwork onboard to show I'd completed a VHF competence course, which luckily I did as I carry a copy sealed in a plastic bag in the glovebox.

Nasher.
Old 30 September 2021, 16:37   #32

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Hi all, just jumping on the VHF question if I may...

I've bought a handheld radio, and was going to sign up with Urban Truant (Sailingcourseonline.co.uk) to do the SRC course for £49 which is a bargain.

However - when I want to do the exam, they are about 300 miles from me, so how do I go about sitting the exam somewhere local to me?

Old 30 September 2021, 16:52   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygent111 View Post
Hi all, just jumping on the VHF question if I may...

I've bought a handheld radio, and was going to sign up with Urban Truant (Sailingcourseonline.co.uk) to do the SRC course for £49 which is a bargain.

However - when I want to do the exam, they are about 300 miles from me, so how do I go about sitting the exam somewhere local to me?

Conventionally you do the exam the same place as the course. You may be able to arrange to do the exam at a local school having trained elsewhere but I imagine most will be wondering whats in it for them as they don't get the exam fee etc. With all the RYA courses there's a lot to be said for not just jumping on the cheapest course possible unless you just want the bit of paper.
Old 01 October 2021, 11:53   #34

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Cheers Poly, that's kind of what was on my mind.

I did the course with Urban Truant as I wanted an online course to do at my convenience.
I've actually found theres an RYA training centre 1 mile away from me so I'll be dropping them an email this weekend
Old 05 October 2021, 20:35   #35

Town: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny white View Post
At £90 to do the course, this really shouldn't be a debate.
Seen online course for £50 and seavoice are now offering a zoom call for £20 that isn’t the course but offer some Instruction? https://www.seavoice-training.co.uk/

Interested if it better than than
A the manual that comes with the radio (free online)

B the rya book at £15