Old 08 June 2021, 12:07   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
VHF Radio Rules

Can you carry a VHS/ DSC/GPS hand held radio to only be used in an emergency, and not to chat with your mates without sitting the ship radio test. As long as you register with ofcom to get your mmsi number?

Also with the end of of the CG66 does SafeTrx require you to have done te test to register with that?
Old 08 June 2021, 12:11   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Can you carry a VHS/ DSC/GPS hand held radio to only be used in an emergency, and not to chat with your mates without sitting the ship radio test. As long as you register with ofcom to get your mmsi number?

Also with the end of of the CG66 does SafeTrx require you to have done te test to register with that?

Yes
No
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2021, 16:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yes
No
Old 08 June 2021, 17:01   #4

Town: Shropshire
Length: 4m +
Quote:

I know the following is more than you are asking and that you are probably aware of most of it, so I apologise if the answer appears in any way patronising.
However, for the sake of complete clarification for others who might be reading this, these are the two licenses you technically should have...

(Note that I am new to SIBs, but I have gone through the VHF components in the last 8 weeks, so this should be up to date)

Ofcom
------
It is a legal requirement that you must register the VHF radio with Ofcom, even if you never intended to transmit (after all, if stopped by someone from Ofcom, how do you prove you never intended to transmit).
Registration online is free and fairly simple, once you work out where/how to do it.
To do this, go to https://ofcom.force.com/LicensingComLogin and create an account, then "apply for new license", "ship radio", "ship portable radio license".

This license will state your "Call sign/T-number" and your MMSI number.
A few points to note:
- it won't ask if your radio has DSC... it will just give you an MMSI number regardless.
- this same license can optionally also have a number of additional devices associated/added to it - eg. PLB, EPIRB, EPIRB AIS, MOB - AIS, MOB - DSC etc.

More information about this license can be found here... https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your...rms-conditions
And for the sake of completeness, the reason to have this license is detailed here... https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your...es/ships-radio
Note that failure to hold this license means Ofcom could "impose on-the-spot fines. The maximum penalty on conviction is a £5,000 fine and/or a six month prison sentence. Those convicted may also be ordered to forfeit any radio apparatus used illegally."

Also note that you are required to print the Licence Document out, and keep it "with or near to the radio equipment at all times, where it is physically practicable to do so".

Short Range Certificate
-----------------------
This is issued by the RYA, using a system that means you are guaranteed to pay for both the course (approx £50 and completed online) and for the exam itself (£60 - taken at a test centre).
Note that you cannot take the SRC exam without showing the certificate* that you printed out from your individual course. This certificate shows that you completed the course to a competent standard, but it also proves/forces you to buy the course.
(*there are a couple of other options - see https://www.rya.org.uk/training/theory/src-exams).

In theory it would be illegal to transmit on a VHF radio without the SRC certificate, or under the direction of someone with an SRC certificate.
Having said that, you frequently hear people say "the Coastguard won't chastise you too much if you had to use the radio in a true emergency" so I understand where your question is coming from. If you do the SRC course, you will actually learn quite a lot of interesting stuff, including titbits such as the fact that a VHF radio should never be used on land.

Maybe the question to ask is "Has anyone without an SRC license ever had to use a VHF radio, and if so, did you get any kind comeback or criticism from the Coastguard?"

As for your second question about CG66, I haven't a clue
Old 08 June 2021, 17:14   #5

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
You can learn most of what you need to know by having a good read through this series: https://pzsc.org.uk/radio/ (click through to the individual pages at the bottom) and memorising the important stuff.

In fact you will probably be better qualified than someone who did an exam 15 years ago.

I doubt anyone is every going to tell you off if you know the basics and don't make a prat of yourself
Old 08 June 2021, 17:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelvar View Post
Maybe the question to ask is "Has anyone without an SRC license ever had to use a VHF radio, and if so, did you get any kind comeback or criticism from the Coastguard?"

Is there a central register? How would they know if you had done an exam in 1983 or not
Old 08 June 2021, 17:30   #7

Town: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
Is there a central register? How would they know if you had done an exam in 1983 or not
Not sure how far back the RYA database goes, but strictly speaking, the SRC certificate states it should always be with you on the boat ����

I agree that the chances of ever getting stopped by either Ofcom or the Coastguard and fined for not having the paperwork is very remote, so I am simply stating what the paperwork says ��
Old 08 June 2021, 17:53   #8

Quote:
Not sure how far back the RYA database goes, but strictly speaking, the SRC certificate states it should always be with you on the boat ����

I agree that the chances of ever getting stopped by either Ofcom or the Coastguard and fined for not having the paperwork is very remote, so I am simply stating what the paperwork says ��
“My only copy of my license just blew over the side mate, so sorry”
Old 08 June 2021, 19:11   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Much as I advocate doing the training/SRC exam anyway, as it is a very useful course, I agree that in the UK no one is likely to ever stop you and check to find out.

But having said that, if you have any plans to go boating in France/Spain/EU, or elsewhere abroad, in many countries it is a requirement to have the appropriate licences/paperwork, and they can be a bit stricter on enforcement than the UK. We have certainly been boarded on our sailing yacht in France to check all that kind of stuff.
Old 08 June 2021, 19:33   #10

[QUOTE=paulbrown22;836589
But having said that, if you have any plans to go boating in France/Spain/EU, or elsewhere abroad, in many countries it is a requirement to have the appropriate licences/paperwork, and they can be a bit stricter on enforcement than the UK. We have certainly been boarded on our sailing yacht in France to check all that kind of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yes I've had a look at what it covers and think in the future the course would be worthwhile.
But at the moment I would be having a seriously bad boating day if I end up abroad in france on my little 3.9 sib

Quote:
I know the following is more than you are asking and that you are probably aware of most of it, so I apologise if the answer appears in any way patronising.
Thanks...its been really helpful. But I've since discovered my the radio I bought insists in the mmsi number being used before you can operate it? But planned to register anyway, although not sure yet how that works. But your links will be handy as their website is crap
Old 08 June 2021, 19:45   #11

Quote:
Thanks...its been really helpful. But I've since discovered my the radio I bought insists in the mmsi number being used before you can operate it? But planned to register anyway, although not sure yet how that works. But your links will be handy as their website is crap
You just need to go on the website and register for an mmsi number, that bits easy.
Old 09 June 2021, 09:49   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I'd be surprised if its not a strict liability offence - you are permitted to operate it if you can show you have the required certificate not they must prove you never did the training/exam.

Whilst the info above is absolutely right - you don't need the certificate if you only use it for emergencies, this does lead to a couple of problems: When you really need to use it you are not that familiar with the radio; you may feel reluctant to call the CG early - before its really become an emergency, but they'd much rather you called them to say you've got a problem but its under control. It also means you may be inclined to leave it switched off (although I am fairly sure listening is fine without an operators certificate) which means when the yacht that's half a mile away is calling to say their skipper has just had a heart attack you are oblivious until the big orange boat or red and white helo appears but could potentially have been of assistance.

I won't encourage you to break the law - you should do the course, you will probably learn something even if it's just how frustrating different manufacturers menu systems are, or a wider appreciation of the other people who use the water (my course had power boaters, yachties and a seakayaker) - but I think most people would agree its more important that you have the radio and are confident to use it than you have the bit of paper.
Old 09 June 2021, 11:46   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
- but I think most people would agree its more important that you have the radio and are confident to use it than you have the bit of paper.

Agree with that.

Just don't call up the coastguard every trip for a radio check!

Even down here in Brixham I hear Solent coastguards side of a stream of radio check requests from craft that are probably going no further than the Hamble to Cowes for lunch.
Old 09 June 2021, 17:04   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post

Even down here in Brixham I hear Solent coastguards side of a stream of radio check requests from craft that are probably going no further than the Hamble to Cowes for lunch.
But are they the same craft each day? Over the years I've had/seen many VHF issues - they were quite random and discovered by failure in use, not self testing. Calling a mate is great, but often he's very near you. I cross checked a VHF for few trips only to discover later that the antenna cable was severed - my mates could still hear me at close range, but the CG couldn't. I've had power cables corrode - failing to deliver TX at 25w. The set received just fine, I could hear the CG and my mates. Mic failure is quite common as is antenna failure. Clearly in the UK the CG can get busy dealing with radio checks, but IMO that's their problem, not the water users. Maybe there should be a system where radio checks can be done over DSC returning an automated confirmation? Maybe this exists?

I test my sets and sometimes my AIS fairly regularly with our CG. They aren't overworked and I suspect, are happy to take a call. I don't do this in port or in areas I know have good reception - I do it in marginal patches to different coastal receivers and can judge the state of my kit by the answers the CG give me - once they know what you're at they can be quite informative.

I take great comfort in the knowledge that it all works and I find a bit of regular (every couple of weeks) interaction with the CG makes me much more relaxed in my dealings with them.
Old 09 June 2021, 19:20   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I agree with willk but I get the impression our northern CGs often don't have much traffic and are quite pleased to have a chat with someone!

Last time I called...quite a while ago...I got a lady CG and she asked just enough questions to be sure I wasn't a wally and listened well to be sure she was receiving and I was hearing clearly. Good service!
Old 09 June 2021, 19:31   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I get the impression our northern CGs often don't have much traffic and are quite pleased to have a chat with someone!
Well yeah, but I didn't like to mention that. Our local head honcho is a member on here and he'd see it...
Old 09 June 2021, 22:29   #17

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
CG isn't really the place to do a radio check and take up their time - certainly in busy areas such as Solent / Falmouth. Better to do with local harbour authority, marina or coastwatch station on appropriate channel. In more remote areas, CG may welcome the traffic, and if there's no other station.