Old 27 October 2023, 09:23   #41

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’m assuming that this is another profile set up by the resident troll. Hedging his bets.
Nahh this guy is advocating hypalon being better than pvc & proper (rather extreme) repair & maintenance which is totally opposite to our resident troll.

On the other hand he does seem to be good at raising a reaction so maybe thats just his thing[emoji2369] & he wants the argument from the other side of the house this incarnation.

Time will tell
Old 29 October 2023, 21:38   #42

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Wow, Bet you are a lot of fun to spend time with.

That's probably the best bit of forum scaremongering I've seen in ages.
Nasher succinct and to the point, not sure were I should start really or dismiss his/her comments completely as utter nonsense. However, here goes

Caligirl, if you read my post no 29 you will see that I said "almost bicycle tube type repair techniques". In other words; clean, abrade, lay one thin coat of glue,, allow to dry, add second thin coat of glue, when tacky apply patch, rub hard over patch with roller, leave to dry and inflate.

Now, if you believe that this is the wrong approach for a repair in hypalon then do please explain how you think it should be repaired. I look forward to reading your reply.

Note that the air pressure inside a rib is actually very low in the 2-3psi range. I have never monitored this, instead use a firm press of the hand and if it will press into the tube that's fine during the hottest part of the day all will be good.

Therefore in hypalon a DIY approach to repairs is perfectly viable. The largest I have done was about 6". This was sewn together, patched with a small patch as above and then covered again with a much larger, actually glued on with sikaflex. It held for a further 6 years until the dinghy was scrapped at end of life.

I see from your profile you are in Southampton. Your not connected with a rib repair business are you? Only you continuously recommend professional repairs and people with qualifications. As Matt pointed out, what quals would people like Kieron in the Rib Shop actually have other than chemistry, re bottling TRF and selling it as expensive rib cleaner This isn't the first time someone has made such a suggestion. Previously someone on hear asked in a very forthright way if Alan Priddy had his rib inspected prior to it being lost on the way to Iceland. The individual hadn't appreciated the manufacture of rib tubes is really a cottage industry in the UK. Actually in the early days of Ribnet Version 1 about 1998 and BIBOA from 1990, we all knew each other. So which business are you connected with?

Now, you said Given the forces exerted on a RIB - especially ones that are ocean going How would you define ocean going? How many ribs do you think make ocean crossings? The few I that I can think of are:

Alan, already mentioned several times.
Brian, who went around the world in a Zodiac 7.3m.
Enda in a 5.3m humber attaque, who some of us met in 2006.
Bear Grylls, after we gave him lots of advice on Ribnet.

The list goes on and apologies for anyone I missed. However, its a tiny handful who complete ocean crossings.

So in summary, no need for professionals to repair most punctures in hypalon if folk want to have a go. Lots of advice on how to on Ribnet.

Regards

Pete
Old 30 October 2023, 23:47   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl View Post
Please please don't use the bike tube repair technique.
I suspect Pete7 has been repairing ribs since before you were born... he's consistently provided clear and helpful advice to users here for decades. Now that doesn't mean he is not open to challenge, but I know who I would consider to be more qualified to give advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl View Post
Ideally look for people who have boat building and boat materials qualifications.
as a general rule that would be a bad way to find someone who is experienced fixing tubes - if they are quiet they may well take on such a repair and make a hash of it. Now are there actually any qualifications in tube repair?

Quote:
I’m assuming that this is another profile set up by the resident troll. Hedging his bets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
JK & Poly can generally see who it is behind the scenes - the "old" vBulletin software lets you cross reference IP Addresses between user accounts fairly easily.
Whilst cynical misrepresentation is always possible there are enough real life crackpots that my starting point is usually its just another one rather than the same one!

Quote:
But for this particular person, ignore is the answer. Didn't there used to be a feature where you could blacklist a user and stop block seeing threads & posts from them?
it is good advice - its called ignore - i'll move the posts about how to do that to the About ribnet sub forum.

Quote:
Apologies to the OP for the serious thread drift, could the mods please split this off to a separate thread. Thanks.
@Poly
Yes - I'm not sure @poly works on here - I'm lurking occassionally but now life gets in the way so feel free to use the report or PM us if stuff needs tidying.
Old 31 October 2023, 09:45   #44
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
No, it's not.

Caligirl I second what Poly said.

Both Pete7 and Nasher have been on ribs since before you were born.I'm also guilty of preaching at times, particularly at new users/boaters, but a gentle hint.
Those with massive post counts or very long time since they joined generally know exactly what they're doing.

As Poly does, I lurk occasionally but PM/post report works better if someone is getting a little 'much'.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote