Old 26 October 2023, 17:03   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Costolla
Make: Stingher
Length: 8m +
Engine: Petrol outboard
Stingher fuel tank fault

Has anyone else had problems with the fuel tanker in a Stingher?
Ours was bought new from MRL who want nothing to do with the problems. After investigations into a strong petrol smell by the local service agents, involving cutting holes in the teak deck and having stainless steel covers fabricated for said holes, the entire deck had to be lifted (plus console) in order to effect a repair. And yes, it was the fuel tank which had split along a seam.
We lost an entire season and had a five figure repair bill. MRL have been no help at all, and we’ve heard anecdotally that this is not an unusual fault in a Stingher. Failing tank seams in an inaccessible location is not an acceptable fault. have we just been very unlucky or is this as common a fault as we are now lead to believe?
Old 27 October 2023, 08:40   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
What sort of age is the boat? It's certainly not unknown on here (and not specific to any brand) for under deck tanks to eventually leak/blow a seam, but you'd clearly expect a reasonable design life from them if they've been properly constructed and installed.

It's not uncommon at all on larger RIB's that the (under deck) tank is installed before the deck is put on, and thus getting at it is a reasonably major surgery job.
Old 27 October 2023, 17:14   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Aluminum tank? Very common with salt water use. I welded over 70 small holes closed in my fuel tank, then wrapped it in glass with an E85 resistant epoxy.
Old 27 October 2023, 17:16   #4

Stainless steel. Seam failed.
Old 27 October 2023, 17:19   #5

It’s now 9 years old but the petrol smell which was the first indication of problems came before it was 7 years old.
For the price MRL/Stingher charged to build it, I’d have expected better quality stainless steel to be used and a longer lifespan.
Old 29 October 2023, 12:05   #6

Town: Mears Ashby
Boat name: Ottilia
Make: Stingher 800GT Sport
Engine: Mercury 300hp
Afternoon,

Also have a Stringher (800GT), similar age give or take a year.
I’ve had no issues to date, but low usage each year.
Old 29 October 2023, 19:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibbingRuth View Post
Stainless steel. Seam failed.
Well that should be easily repairable then. Weld it back up putting a plate over area if need be and reinstall it.

If you are really worried, wrap it in fiberglass using an E85 resistant epoxy.
Old 30 October 2023, 07:42   #8

You make it sound so easy. Holes were cut in the teak deck to try to investigate and then the console, seats and deck had to be lifted. I’m not sure welding something that had contained petrol would be the safest option; the marine surveyor we instructed said the tank should have been made from a higher grade stainless steel and advised that we should have a new one fabricated in a higher grade. RIB had to have seats and omsole reimstalled and a new deck fitted. Not what one expects at the age of the RIB- 7 years old when fault first observed.
Old 31 October 2023, 05:38   #9

Quote:
You make it sound so easy.
We did it on my boat, but it was almost completely stripped and got re-gel coated. Once at the floor level, a track saw cut a 45* bevel with a thin kerf blade, which was later easy to fill the void with a folded piece of 6" biaxial glass. The seat base had to be cut out too and a multi-tool with dust collection gets the job done. AB used fiberglass to set the tank. I found it easiest to use a reciprocating saw and cut the folded glass in half for removal. Using pry bars it took less than a minute to break it loose, and out the fuel tank came (Fuel lines were already disconnected). *shrugs* Maybe a half hour. Performing the repairs back to gel coat is where the time was spent.
Quote:
Holes were cut in the teak deck to try to investigate and then the console, seats and deck had to be lifted.
Ouch!

Quote:
I’m not sure welding something that had contained petrol would be the safest option;
By thoroughly cleaning the tank first and filling the cavity with an inert gas, it can be safely welded on. No oxygen, no explosion. (My fuel/petrol tank hadn't contained fuel in years.)

Quote:
~the marine surveyor we instructed said the tank should have been made from a higher grade stainless steel and advised that we should have a new one fabricated in a higher grade. RIB had to have seats and omsole reimstalled and a new deck fitted. Not what one expects at the age of the RIB- 7 years old when fault first observed.
That would have been good to state from the get go. A new tank it is...wait until you see the price