RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben72 View Post
I spoke to one dealer who basically said that anything 10yrs or older is a money pit and at 15yrs is almost end of life.

Is he right or am I being overly cautious?! Obviously I’m looking for well serviced engines, tubes that hold air etc etc 😀 Anyway, jus worried I’ll buy a boat and then find 3-4yrs in I’m left with an unsaleable/unsailable RIB!
I agree with what others have said - but for your budget you should be looking for more than tubes that hold air. I also think he's not wrong to suggest that they are a money pit - but consider what he's saying, if you buy a new rib it will be worth a tiny fraction in 10-15yrs.

Hull - will last forever if looked after and water doesn't get into and wooden core in the deck or transom; things like rusting fuel tanks glassed into the hull or spongy decks are where the cost would go.
Tubes - PVC tubes with minimal care should last 10 yrs; hypalon or PU tubes will last 20 yrs; commercial spec could last 30 yrs. Retubing will be about 1/4 of your budget.
Engine - Probably the big thing most likely to be replaced, probably the least likely to actually die if you look after it. Even if it does need replaced needn't be with a new one. Buyers don't like old engines though - unless its something special.
Trailer - Shouldn't be ignored, and they do get abused.
Electronics Definitely the bit that ages fastest. If you buy a new boat today and sell in in 3-5 yrs it will be adding virtually nothing to the value..

Quote:
And funnily enough the brands you mention are an exact match to my shortlist. The boat I’m focussed on at the moment is an Avon 620, so seems we’re of a similar mind. Thanks and fingers crossed then!!
I'm not sure the Avon 620 is quite the same build quality as the Avon's time was talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Now the dealer's talking sense.
Yes - the dealer just forgot to mention that new boats waste your money in other ways!

Quote:
Similar question - does there come a point with outboards where bills begin to spiral and they are worth avoiding?
Yes but its difficult to put a number on it. 300 hours all flat out, only used one week a year for 15 yrs and not flushed / serviced and 3000 hours mostly at tickover, 2 years old meticulously serviced and cleaned flushed, I know which I would pick!
Old 16 March 2021, 21:04   #22

Town: Bideford
Length: no boat
Thanks Poly. Amazingly detailed reply. Am still looking. Keep missing out at the 11th hour but I’m not in a hurry.... Happier to wait for the right boat!