Old 12 March 2021, 07:13   #1

Town: Bideford
Length: no boat
How old is too old...?

Hi. Am thinking of buying my first RIB after years of sailing. After a lot of research I think I’m looking for c6m with 115HP+ due to wanting to carry 4-6 people and we live on the north Devon coast. My £15k-£20k budget looks like it’ll buy me boats which are about 15yrs old.

I spoke to one dealer who basically said that anything 10yrs or older is a money pit and at 15yrs is almost end of life.

Is he right or am I being overly cautious?! Obviously I’m looking for well serviced engines, tubes that hold air etc etc 😀 Anyway, jus worried I’ll buy a boat and then find 3-4yrs in I’m left with an unsaleable/unsailable RIB!

Any help/advice would be hugely welcome. Thanks.
Old 12 March 2021, 07:30   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
How old is too old...?

The dealer is largely talking total rubbish because he wants to sell you a new one. A lot, like anything else depends on how well it's been looked after, and what it actually is. Some boats have historically had problems - Solent RIBs for example had widespread issues with their decks and fuel tanks. Narwhal RIBs had an issue whereby all the glue would fail after a certain number of years and the tubes would fall apart. These are historic issues and thankfully most manufacturers have got their act together and generally produce a very hight quality product that will last for years. You'll find endless threads on here about which manufacturers are "the best". To give one example as I am a loyal fan of this "iconic" RIB brand: Avon have been producing RIBs since the 1970s and are widely regarded as very good quality. A friend of mine until recently had a 1979 Avon Searider 4m. Still on original tubes etc. Had had a modern 4 stroke engine fitted, but incredibly reliable, safe and seaworthy little boat. It actually popped up on Facebook market place last week and is still going strong. My own Avon was new in 1999 and to the casual observer is still in close to "as new" condition because it's had a very pampered life and lives inside. There's plenty of other brands which have produced boats which are still going strong 20-30 years later; Humber, Ribcraft, Ribtec to name just a handful. The tubes are probably the biggest weak point - if the boat has had a hard life and lived outside without a cover you can expect these to need replacing at some point, but even with a reasonable amount of use and abuse I would't be concerned about buying a 20 year old RIB with original tubes if on inspection it was in sound condition.

The short answer - dealers talking rubbish. There are loads of really good used boats 10+ years old on the market.

PS. I didn't really mention engines in the above. Like a car (and like the rest of my ramble above) it's all about how its been looked after. Does it pump cooling water well, does it sound smooth, does it look well looked after (under the hood as well as outside), is there much service history or is the owner enthusiastic and spends every weekend tinkering with it and looking after it themselves. A 15 or even 20 year old outboard is nothing to fear if its been well looked after and is in good condition. If you look on ebay you'll find plenty of old Yamahas and Mercurys dating back to the 60s and 70s still going strong. But agin do your research and make sure its in good condition before you buy it - no different to buying a car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6324.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	136533
Old 12 March 2021, 07:35   #3

Hi Tim. Thanks for that and for confirming my gut feel! Phew! And funnily enough the brands you mention are an exact match to my shortlist. The boat I’m focussed on at the moment is an Avon 620, so seems we’re of a similar mind. Thanks and fingers crossed then!!
Old 12 March 2021, 07:36   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
No hes wrong many boats survive to twice that age you just need to be carefull & look at lots & be prepared to travel.
Condition is everything you may find a boat thats been lightly used garaged & 20yo in far better nick than one 8 years old been thrashed to death & left out in the med sun all its life.
Do your research ask lots of questions both here & of any potential seller. If a seller avoids questions or doesnt know then probably best to walk away & dont buy anything unseen, be prepared to make a few wasted journeys & remember if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
My preference is to buy from an enthusiastic knowledgeable owner than buying from a dealer.
Good luck in your search
Old 12 March 2021, 10:49   #5

Town: Chelmsford
Yes the Dealer is talking rubbish. Some older boats especially if they have main brand two strokes on them can be very good indeed. As others have said it is about how they have been kept and used
Old 12 March 2021, 11:33   #6

Town: Isle of Wight
Boat name: Baloo
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp VMAX
Couldn’t agree more.

And even brands that had common issues in the past can have good versions too. Mine is a case point. You hear all sorts about Solent RIBs. I have 2005 boat and decided to get a full survey done before I invested in a repower. Came out glowing. None of the “common” issues and it has clearly led a very pampered life prior to my ownership.

I have seen some ancient ribs that look in really good shape and some that are few years old that look terrible.
Old 12 March 2021, 12:51   #7

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben72 View Post
I spoke to one dealer who basically said that anything is a money pit.
Now the dealer's talking sense.
Old 12 March 2021, 13:47   #8

Thanks for all the comments. Really helpful. Will continue the search then - of the 620 doesn’t work out. Bit more confident now! Cheers.
Old 12 March 2021, 14:21   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben72 View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Really helpful. Will continue the search then - of the 620 doesn’t work out. Bit more confident now! Cheers.

Back in the day, RIBs were built as work/dive/support boats. The money went into the layup & construction, most were built like the proverbial outhouse. Some manufacturers still cater for that market & concentrate on the fundamentals rather than bling. Then RIBs became a fashion statement (like 4x4’s & the ubiquitous “SUV”) and a crop of new players entered the market and catered for the new demographic. Hence you will find boats of a certain vintage still going strong with plenty of life left, & younger boats showing their age.
I wonder how many of today’s new RIBs will still be kicking around in 25-30yrs time.
All my humble opinion of course.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 14:35   #10

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Back in the day, RIBs were built as work/dive/support boats. The money went into the layup & construction, most were built like the proverbial outhouse. Some manufacturers still cater for that market & concentrate on the fundamentals rather than bling. Then RIBs became a fashion statement (like 4x4’s & the ubiquitous “SUV”) and a crop of new players entered the market and catered for the new demographic. Hence you will find boats of a certain vintage still going strong with plenty of life left, & younger boats showing their age.
I wonder how many of today’s new RIBs will still be kicking around in 25-30yrs time.
All my humble opinion of course.

Agree wholeheartedly with Dave. I’m still enjoying my 24 year old Ribcraft 5.85. Only thing I’ve renewed apart from electronics is I re engined her six years ago.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 15:31   #11

Town: Moab
Boat name: Solgear
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
I'm running a Avon Sportboats from 1985 and 1987 down Cataract Canyon, a class V whitewater stretch. While I've put some time and money into it, I'll put them up against any newer boat.
Old 12 March 2021, 15:48   #12

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Heres an interesting contender ,not sure whats going on with the tubes ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Ribc...EAAOSwl29gSnox
Old 12 March 2021, 16:32   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post

Yeah, something doesn’t ring right about that. “Tatty tubes” on a 2-3 year old boat with HD tubes. The hull looks immaculate. The engine is 11yrs old & 1600 hours, so has been well used. It still looks a cheap outfit all said & done.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 16:35   #14

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post

Safety boat for a busy sail club, will have been pushed up against all sorts . Engine prob got plenty life left but little resale value. Case of you get what you pay for.
That said tatty doesn’t mean problems and those Df’s can do a lot of hours with maintenance. If I was spending £17k not where my money would go though!
Old 12 March 2021, 16:39   #15

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Safety boat for a busy sail club, will have been pushed up against all sorts . Engine prob got plenty life left but little resale value. Case of you get what you pay for.
That said tatty doesn’t mean problems and those Df’s can do a lot of hours with maintenance. If I was spending £17k not where my money would go though!

For example

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...utboard/341514

Caveat emptor
Old 12 March 2021, 17:15   #16

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
I have an Avon Searider 5.4 1989 with Evinrude 2 stroke carbs. Drinks fuel like its going out of fashion when flat out, but everything original, kept covered up when not in use, engine maintained over the years, so condition good. Works well for us.
Old 12 March 2021, 17:49   #17

Town: st. john's, Newfoundland
Boat name: TBD
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 530
Engine: MERC 75HP 4S
I'm running at 1992 zodiac hurricane 530 Coast guard owned it until 2014. original tubes, still hold air great, 2003 merc engine runs like a top. I've never had to do a thing to it.
Old 15 March 2021, 14:02   #18

Town: Mallow
Boat name: Puggsy
Make: Avon Seasport 4.65
Engine: Mariner 60hp
I have an Avon Seasport from 98. Original tubes & engine. The engine needs a bit of work ( new CDI module on the way) and the tubes are a bit tatty but I'll get another year or 2 out of them. I am thinking I'll have to retube next year maybe but doubt the engine will have to be binned soon
Old 15 March 2021, 23:00   #19
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
That dealer.... Wasn't trying to sell you something that rhymes with 'Twig' was he? Only, at 12 years old I suspect those ARE end of life.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 13:54   #20

Thanks for all the advice. Means owning a RIB is back on (possibly!)

Nos4r2 - he he - it didn't rhyme with Twig! :-)

The Avon I was looking at didn't come off - but an alternative has popped up. It's got a Yamaha 150 with 1460hrs. Similar question - does there come a point with outboards where bills begin to spiral and they are worth avoiding? Apparently well serviced and 15hrs since last service. Any thoughts very very welcome

Thanks!