Old 16 March 2021, 09:28   #1

Town: Swanage
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Wheel/throttle placement

I've got a new console with no holes in it, and need to decide where to cut holes for the wheel and throttle. Is there a standard ergonomic placement that I should aim for? Or do I just sit at the Helm's seat and estimate what I think is going to be comfortable?

I suppose there's a balance to be struck between long voyages sat down, and shorter ones stood up in rough weather etc.
Old 16 March 2021, 09:36   #2

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Merc OceanRunner 350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 20 EFI
imo it would be better to have it slightly too high when sat down than slightly too low when stood up. Especially as in rough weather you would need maximum control
Old 16 March 2021, 10:57   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuty View Post
imo it would be better to have it slightly too high when sat down than slightly too low when stood up. Especially as in rough weather you would need maximum control
Agreed, there is a video floating a round that shows that many are too low so lose close control when you need it the most as they were set up when sat.

Are you on side control or top box?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 11:03   #4

Sounds sensible and pretty much what I was thinking. My guess is that the console (from a highfield patrol) will have been designed to have the controls mid way up the dash, but don't want to just make an assumption that proves to be incorrect.

It's a top mount throttle. I suppose the controls don't necessarily need to be level with each other either.
Old 16 March 2021, 11:15   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
Possibly teaching you to suck eggs, but place the throttle where it's comfortable to hold it low down. Makes it easier for controlling things when it's getting lumpy.

It gets your attention when you hit a wave just as your adding more revs and find your heading for the horizon far quicker than you intended.
Old 16 March 2021, 11:21   #6

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus3060 View Post
Sounds sensible and pretty much what I was thinking. My guess is that the console (from a highfield patrol) will have been designed to have the controls mid way up the dash, but don't want to just make an assumption that proves to be incorrect.

It's a top mount throttle. I suppose the controls don't necessarily need to be level with each other either.
Plenty of images of the Highfield throttle position, I think with the top box you have a better position to start with and more leeway on the actual position.

The neutral position seems to be level with the steering boss on the ones I've looked at.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 16:11   #7

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i tried several positions when building my humber and i ended up with the steering slightly high when sat down but comfortable when stood up i also offset the steering to the starboard of my jockey seat slightly rather than central as my top mount is port side of the wheel and if im driving with one hand on the wheel and one on the throttle it feels better.plus it gives the passenger to my left a little more elbow room
Old 16 March 2021, 16:14   #8

took these pics might help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_134022_resized - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	136565   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200215_150917_resized_1 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	136566  
Old 16 March 2021, 16:18   #9

another hard to see from pics but my right hand falls easily to the wheel and my left to the throttle. if i was doing it again id have gone slightly higher with the throttle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0007 (1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	136567  
Old 16 March 2021, 16:30   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
Possibly teaching you to suck eggs, but place the throttle where it's comfortable to hold it low down. Makes it easier for controlling things when it's getting lumpy.

It gets your attention when you hit a wave just as your adding more revs and find your heading for the horizon far quicker than you intended.
Spot on
The "personal" ergonomic position of Throttle and Wheel (And Seat!) is paramount not only to comfort but ultimately safty.....
I prefer right hand on Wheel ...and left on the BASE of the throttle ...with knees bent and just above the seat....Adds up to "Triangle" Brace position between Feet Wheel and Throttlle control .....when it's Knarley in a Big Sea You don't want you're hand anywhere near the TOP of the Throttle!
Any amount of time you take to get it Spot on for YOU...will be time well spent.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 17:32   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
https://ullmandynamics.com/professio...oles-for-speed
Old 16 March 2021, 18:02   #12

Speed alone is certainly not Most Ribders main concern...things like Foot Throttles and Suspention Bucket seats are generally the realm of Power Boating and Racers and competition.
Although I do have Jocky type Ulmann Suspention seats and they are a Boon in my experience.
If you're caught out in Big Seas (where most races would be cancelled anyway!) comfort control balance good ergo's and ultimately crew safety become paramount.. confidence comes with experience faith in you're equipment....and practice.
Speed alone (in those conditions ) is not a priority...believe me
"Horse for Courses"

Old 16 March 2021, 19:23   #13

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
You are right - it is horses for courses but I'd suggest you should read the article first.

It's primarily about ergonomics and gives some quite useful information if you were wondering about where to drill holes for the wheel and the throttle, for example.

I think that is what the OP was wanting rather than your sage advice regards being caught out in big seas.
Old 16 March 2021, 20:24   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I've got a new console with no holes in it, and need to decide where to cut holes for the wheel and throttle. Is there a standard ergonomic placement that I should aim for? Or do I just sit at the Helm's seat and estimate what I think is going to be comfortable?

I suppose there's a balance to be struck between long voyages sat down, and shorter ones stood up in rough weather etc.

I setup my helm with guidance from Ullman. I have my throttle in the centre of the console with the wheel to the Stbd side. Contrary to instinct, the wheel is not on the centreline of the helm seat, the throttle & wheel are either side of the jockey seat centre line. This balances the reach of both arms & reduces twisting of the spine, reducing stress on spine/neck/shoulders. I didn’t have enough width on the console to get the optimal spacing, but it all helps.
Having the throttle in the centre of the console protects it from knocks or inadvertent activation by people squeezing past the console, it also allows the “navigator” in the port seat to access the throttle if there’s a problem.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 22:31   #15

Quote:

A friend who recently fully re-stored-Furbished a RIB from the "Hull up" used a great innovation...
He made up a ply mock-up of his instrumentation and Throttlle positions which he placed over the new consul to aid and test for ..Dials view...Layout...Plotter position ..spacings ...ergo's for wheel Throttle ect....got it 100% right for HIM...before drilling a hole
Worked very well for him...

Old 16 March 2021, 23:30   #16

Thanks all, some sound advice here already. I've had a bit of time at the boat today moving the seats and console etc around to find the best position. There's a few moving parts to balance, for sure.

I'm certainly leaning towards the idea of erring on the side of caution, and accounting for being able to accurately feather the throttle from lower down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I setup my helm with guidance from Ullman. I have my throttle in the centre of the console with the wheel to the Stbd side. Contrary to instinct, the wheel is not on the centreline of the helm seat, the throttle & wheel are either side of the jockey seat centre line.
I hadn't thought about a slightly offset wheel, but it does make sense, good shout.

Thanks for the link, a good starter for 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
A friend who recently fully re-stored-Furbished a RIB from the "Hull up" used a great innovation...
He made up a ply mock-up of his instrumentation and Throttlle positions which he placed over the new consul to aid and test for ..Dials view...Layout...Plotter position ..spacings ...ergo's for wheel Throttle ect....got it 100% right for HIM...before drilling a hole
Sounds like a good plan. I have also wondered where the best place would be for the engine gauge/tacho
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	136571   Click image for larger version

Name:	front .jpg
Views:	53
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	136572