Old 30 June 2005, 15:47   #21

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Des, you are one very disturbed puppy......
Thanks I try Des
Old 30 June 2005, 15:48   #22

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracle
Iand I am not an investor in Atlantic web. Where does it say this?

Here http://www.atlantic-web.com/family.htm
Old 30 June 2005, 15:51   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
According to the Telegraph you and Rupert Bonham Smith run the London Offshore Powerboat Club, which is organising and promoting the Deaville event.

"Two entrepreneurs, Rupert Bonham-Smith, 26, and Ed Balme, 24, have taken these costs out of the equation by setting up the London Offshore Powerboat Club (LOPC). They were frustrated by the stuffiness of the sailing clubs on the Solent and seemed to be in constant breach of their rules, resulting in frequent lectures from "salty old sea-dogs"

John
Old 30 June 2005, 15:52   #24

Town: London
Boat name: Darbouka
Make: Carson
Length: 9m +
Engine: Diesel, 460 hp
Yes, I see. I don't know why he's put me as an investor as I've never invested any money in his company although it's true I own a twin diesel boat called Darbouka, not Black Ball
Old 30 June 2005, 16:00   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Fishy as a fish thing on a very fish day!
Old 30 June 2005, 16:09   #26

Quote:
Yes, I see. I don't know why he's put me as an investor as I've never invested any money in his company although it's true I own a twin diesel boat called Darbouka, not Black Ball

Well, let's try to get to the bottom of this, then shall we? After all, no one here likes these unpleasant misunderstandings, do they?

Here's a copy of an E-mail sent. If that fails to resolve the matter, it may pay to take the matter further, don't you think?

Dear Sir or Madame,

I wonder if you could help me? On your "Atlantic Web Family" page you have a Mr. Ed Balme down as an "investor". He claims that this is completely un-true. Could you confirm this and explain why, then, you have listed him as an investor?

Best Regards,
Old 30 June 2005, 16:16   #27

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Alan, I have to admit that I am quite upset by your stinging remarks.
Ed, its a tough old world and learning to cope with sceptism/cynism will make life much easier.......

Is Steve Curtis attending the event then?
Old 30 June 2005, 16:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Thanks I try Des
Scary for all the wrong reasons........ (& too much time on your hands!)
Old 30 June 2005, 16:37   #29

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Scary for all the wrong reasons........ (& too much time on your hands!)
You're probably right but it pays the bills so mustn’t grumble
I like your new signature its got the making of a book Des
Old 30 June 2005, 22:13   #30

Town: London
Boat name: Spectre of Defeat II
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 80hp merc
MMSI: N/A
Traffic wardens should race in car parks

I am just amazed to read such bitter comments from such a group of traffic wardens that frequent this site.

It amazes me that everyone is so concerned whether Ed Balme as an investor in Atlantic web. That will have no bearing on the fun which can be had on an event like this.

The Deauville rally aims to be the closest thing to the Gumball rally on water and after a very successful launch party at the Royal Thames Yacht Club in Knightsbridge attended by over 300 people. Some people flew in from as far away as Dubai and the event was attended by press which want to capture the spirit of adventure and madness which has aleady attracted an ex. gumball rally participant to pull together a hovercraft.

It would be nice to see a lot less sneering and much more enthusiasm for events and I'm certainly planning to support Eds iniative by putting in 5 boats into the pot.

Bring it on.............
Old 30 June 2005, 22:30   #31

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
It would be nice to see... much more enthusiasm for events and I'm certainly planning to support Eds iniative.............
How unsurprising... seeing as you announced the same "initiative" some time ago! http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....September+2005
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2005, 07:14   #32

Quote:
I am just amazed to read such bitter comments from such a group of traffic wardens that frequent this site.

It amazes me that everyone is so concerned whether Ed Balme as an investor in Atlantic web. That will have no bearing on the fun which can be had on an event like this.

Perhaps if "Atlantic Web" had acted in a proper manner and made good the losses of Mr Hall, a member of this RIB "community", Ed Balme, who is part of that concern, would not have got such a "rough ride" on here. I'm afraid that your rather poorly worded rant, for that is all I can reasonably describe it as, has done nothing for the "professional" image that you are trying to portray.

My interest is not whether Ed Balme is an investor in such a disreputable outfit, merely whether or not he is a liar or not. Surely this is a simple thing to prove one way or another? If he has had no part in the Charter business that puts customers lives in jeopardy, according to the MCA, then good luck to him and his enterprises. I will wish him well.

However, what if he proves to be a liar and has been part of the company that still has not refunded Mr Hall’s losses and acted so irresponsibly towards their paying customers by ignoring their duty of care? Then how can he, in all conscience expect any support for his flamboyant new venture?
Surely it would be wise for Ed Balme to seek and take your professional advice on this matter?

I notice that you claim to be a Solicitor. Is this an attempt to intimidate us "lesser mortals"? You are not doing your profession’s image much good here. Perhaps it would be wise for you to seek advice off more senior members of your firm, before you start trading insults on here.
Old 01 July 2005, 07:28   #33

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Perhaps it would be wise for you to seek advice of more senior members of your firm.
I think the tea lady was unavailable for consultations at the time..
Old 01 July 2005, 08:06   #34

Mr Bonham-Smith has had the courtesy to respond to my E-mail. Unfortunately he hasn't answered the question. I assume that I was not clear enough in my question, so I have clarified the question and hope that Mr Bonham-Smith can now put to rest this matter.
Old 01 July 2005, 10:28   #35

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Traffic Wardens!!! Classic.
Old 01 July 2005, 10:31   #36

Not a traffic warden, BUT....

Quote:

The Deauville rally aims to be the closest thing to the Gumball rally on water and after a very successful launch party at the Royal Thames Yacht Club in Knightsbridge attended by over 300 people. Some people flew in from as far away as Dubai and the event was attended by press which want to capture the spirit of adventure and madness which has aleady attracted an ex. gumball rally participant to pull together a hovercraft.
I considered enterning my boat into the race. BUT there is a load of 'noise' about the people who are supposedly involved. 'noise' being rumours of dodgy dealings and rip offs. Now to enter the race I have to pay £1600? And I have to pay this to people who are in disrepute? So I have not entered my boat.

I then read with interest as the published facts dont tie up with the written facts about the organisers of the race, and there is still no clear answer to reveal the truth. And for my part, I would like to know if Steve Curtis is actually involved in the event and supports it, or if it was - as suggested - a comment in passing that such an event could be a good idea?

You guys need to pull finger and bring this 'event' out of the disrepute it is currently in. To do this you *do* need to come clean with your facts. Fancy paid for press launches to the non-marine press is easy. But it will not take much time before the press that does know the marine section starts to publish their concerns, and the mainstream press would love to sink such a bunch who expose themselves in this way. I can't be part of such a shambles, so I will not enter untill there is truth and clarity.
Old 01 July 2005, 10:56   #37

Tricky Dicky How are you?
Old 01 July 2005, 11:24   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
Tricky Dicky How are you?
I am fine, But *who* are you?
Old 01 July 2005, 11:38   #39

Sorry tricky should of said who are you
I'm very well thank you!
Old 01 July 2005, 12:31   #40

Ohhh, arent we upset Mr Spectre racing. Are you Eddies old man then?

I rather suspect that most of the traffic wardens here have done far more real boating than any of you bikini seeking thrillingly clad hairdressers! (See, I can do insults too.) Having looked at the London Offshore website again and reading the small print that if you join, you can use the clubs boats but not take them out of the solent, I wonder at your ability to understand the word 'offshore' !

I do however wish I could see the 60ft hovercraft making its way down the Thames. I am sure the PLA will love that.......