Old 01 July 2005, 13:48   #41

Town: London
Boat name: Darbouka
Make: Carson
Length: 9m +
Engine: Diesel, 460 hp
Well sorry guys you feel this way about the rally but I will push on and make the best I can with it. We have full support from the PLA in the organization and safety.
I was in fact working in film production till last year and that led me into event organization which is what I'm doing with the rally. My family come from a big boating background which is partly how I had the idea for this.
It takes a lot of time and money starting up such an event as this, but, on the second year with all going well, we will be giving a percentage of profits to charity.
If anyone has any suggestions then I will welcome them but there is no need for sarcastic or cynical comments.
Old 01 July 2005, 14:21   #42
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracle
I have now taken over on the rally organization whilst Mr Atlantic Web has taken over the club. I wish him every success in his future ventures and hope you will take an interest in the rally.
So let's try to get this clear for everyone.

1. Is Rupert Bonham-Smith involved in the Deauville Rally in any capacity?
2. Are you involved in any way with Atlantic Web?
3. Are you and Rupert both still involved in the London Offshore Powerboat Club?
4. What is the relationship between the London Offshore Powerboat Club and the Deauville Rally?

You are, of course, under no obligation to answer any of these questions but I'm sure that people will draw their own conclusions from any response that you do make.

The rally itself sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Unfortunately your association with organisations and individuals who have displayed a determined contempt for their customers and the various authorities is not encouraging.

What can you do to convince everyone that giving you their money would be a good move?

John
Old 01 July 2005, 14:29   #43

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
but there is no need for sarcastic or cynical comments.
Cynical ?

It's very easy to overcome such cynicism. All you have to do is answer reasonable questions in a clear and concise manner. Unfortunately both you and Mr Bonham-Smith seem to have an aversion to doing so. In fact your performances, thus far, are worthy of our fine politicians. Do you have aspirations towards politics later in life? I think you will both be well suited to that honourable profession. However, you still have chance to correct our misguided impressions and “come good”.

Were you, or were you not involved as a shareholder or “investor” of Atlantic Web when one of the members of this site was chartered a boat that was unacceptable to the MCA who subsequently prosecuted Mr Bonham-Smith successfully. If you were, could you please explain why that member has not been financial compensated for his losses? If you weren’t, could you explain why Mr Bonham-Smith, your “erstwhile” associate has you down on the Atlantic Web Family page?

There you go. Simple, isn’t it?
Old 01 July 2005, 15:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
So let's try to get this clear for everyone.

1. Is Rupert Bonham-Smith involved in the Deauville Rally in any capacity?
2. Are you involved in any way with Atlantic Web?
3. Are you and Rupert both still involved in the London Offshore Powerboat Club?
4. What is the relationship between the London Offshore Powerboat Club and the Deauville Rally?

You are, of course, under no obligation to answer any of these questions but I'm sure that people will draw their own conclusions from any response that you do make.

The rally itself sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Unfortunately your association with organisations and individuals who have displayed a determined contempt for their customers and the various authorities is not encouraging.

What can you do to convince everyone that giving you their money would be a good move?

John
John,

Here are some answers to your questions.
We only just divided the rally from the club in the last few weeks as I wanted to take control of it. Deauville Rally Ltd is owned by myself.

1. Rupert no longer has any involvement in organizing the rally, although I'm happy for him to bring entrants to the event. I am now the sole owner of Deauville Rally Ltd and am getting support from various other event organizers / boating associations to make it a successful event.

2. I was employed to make a corporate video for Atlantic Web last summer which I produced and got keen on buying a boat. Atlantic web sourced a project rib for me which I bought and did up. It is my boat though and not Atlantic webs so i do not believe that classes me as an investor.

3. I used to be involved in the London Offshore Powerboat club but am no longer since we divided the rally from the club. Rupert now owns the club and I wish him every success with it. I in fact will be having my name taken off the site shortly as it has been overlooked.

4. The Deauville Rally, although it quite clearly states on the site "presented by the London Offshore Club" is in fact now an individual business run by my company, Deauville Rally Ltd. Once the web designer has updated the site you will see this stated clearly!

Regards,

Ed
Old 01 July 2005, 15:24   #45
Administrator

Town: Brighton
That makes things much clearer. Thanks for the straight answers!

John
Old 01 July 2005, 15:28   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Cynical ?

It's very easy to overcome such cynicism. All you have to do is answer reasonable questions in a clear and concise manner. Unfortunately both you and Mr Bonham-Smith seem to have an aversion to doing so. In fact your performances, thus far, are worthy of our fine politicians. Do you have aspirations towards politics later in life? I think you will both be well suited to that honourable profession. However, you still have chance to correct our misguided impressions and “come good”.

Were you, or were you not involved as a shareholder or “investor” of Atlantic Web when one of the members of this site was chartered a boat that was unacceptable to the MCA who subsequently prosecuted Mr Bonham-Smith successfully. If you were, could you please explain why that member has not been financial compensated for his losses? If you weren’t, could you explain why Mr Bonham-Smith, your “erstwhile” associate has you down on the Atlantic Web Family page?

There you go. Simple, isn’t it?
Jono, I hope my previous post answers your questions.
Old 01 July 2005, 15:55   #47

Length: 10m +
Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions then I will welcome them but there is no need for sarcastic or cynical comments.
Without taking the piss, I was interested in entering the race. There are several questions:

1) What status has this race got with the RYA? I hold an international offshore licence issued by the RYA, and they are tetchy about people like myself entering 'races' not run under their authorisation.

2) What exactly does my race fee get me? I am interested in the adventure of the race, rather than the bikini clad hanges on, and my navigator ( aka Mrs VeryTricky ) will not let me dabble in that side of the entertainments.

3) What is the exact race entry fee? One navigator, one driver.

4) What sort of speed are you expecting the craft to have? are you working on a class system or handicap? I can get a ProVee to race, or I own a 6 litre boat which is quite nice to race, or I can go out in a slower Sunseeker which is really comfortable? Some indication would be useful.

These are the questions that the actual website does not answer, but are the sort of questions people who would actually enter would like answered...
Old 01 July 2005, 16:14   #48

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Jono, I hope my previous post answers your questions.
There you go..... that wasn't too difficult, now was it? I still have the question about Atlantic Web and their treatment of one of RIBnet's members, but I'll keep that for Rupert or "Spectre Racing". They are one and the same, aren't they?

"Good Luck" with your venture and I hope, sincerely, that you enjoy it.
Old 01 July 2005, 19:11   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky
Without taking the piss, I was interested in entering the race. There are several questions:

1) What status has this race got with the RYA? I hold an international offshore licence issued by the RYA, and they are tetchy about people like myself entering 'races' not run under their authorisation.

2) What exactly does my race fee get me? I am interested in the adventure of the race, rather than the bikini clad hanges on, and my navigator ( aka Mrs VeryTricky ) will not let me dabble in that side of the entertainments.

3) What is the exact race entry fee? One navigator, one driver.

4) What sort of speed are you expecting the craft to have? are you working on a class system or handicap? I can get a ProVee to race, or I own a 6 litre boat which is quite nice to race, or I can go out in a slower Sunseeker which is really comfortable? Some indication would be useful.

These are the questions that the actual website does not answer, but are the sort of questions people who would actually enter would like answered...
Hi,

The Deauville rally is not a race, it is more like the Gumball rally.
We are not associated with the RYA as this has not yet deemed necessary in the organization of the event but of course we are ensuring to keep all authorities happy.

The entry fee covers rally organization, safety boats and helicopter, entrance to nightly parties (Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday afternoon) , dinners and drinks included on Friday and Saturday nights, all berthing for boats taken care of throughout rally, briefing pack with all necessary information, Official decal (stickers for the boat).

The race fee that I have offered to you (£900) will cover one boat with all the crew. I am happy to offer this price to three entrants as I said before.

There's quite a large selection of boats entering, from medium sized ribs and race boats to the largest which is a 60 foot hovercraft. The rally is in fact open to all classes of powerboats which gives more scope for everyone to enter.
There will be various different awards on the final day in Deauville for different aspects of the rally.

I hope this answers your questions,

Ed
Old 01 July 2005, 19:31   #50

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Entering a typical RYA sanctioned 3C race, which includes launch, recovery, berthing, safety cover, and pretty much taking over an entire town for a weekend only costs IRO 200 quid per boat. A 'top notch' UK poker run is IRO 200 quid, a simpler one 50 quid or so - and you stand a chance of winning a fair bit back it you're lucky. Now I don't mind a bloke making a bit of money, but I gotta feel I'm getting value for money - and at 900 quid, your discounted rate, that's a huge step up in price to run in convoy with a few other boats - so what extra are the entrants getting over other formal & informal events that justifies the extra cash?
Old 02 July 2005, 04:01   #51

Town: New York City
Boat name: Liverbird
Make: Caribe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 40
Are Delboy & Rodney involved somewhere ?

As far as i can understand for 900 quid your getting a briefing pack and a couple of official race decals (stickers in other words)
Old 02 July 2005, 06:48   #52

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Where's Deauville, is it near Folkestone?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2005, 09:25   #53

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverbird
As far as i can understand for 900 quid your getting a briefing pack and a couple of official race decals (stickers in other words)
Has far as I can understand it seems you didn't read what Auracle wrote.

Whether its good value or not is upto the individual. But as Auracle seems to be this weeks victim I guess everyone should carry on .

Personally if I was going to enter I would look into the questions raised about who was running it, as there seems to be some issues. But the bloke seems happy to reply on this forum when he doesn't need to do. If there were issues then all he needed to do was not reply and a bunch of people who weren't going to enter would soon forget about him.

Cheers

Mark
Old 03 July 2005, 11:33   #54

Boat name: Stand two
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200
Send a message via MSN to LOPC member
Deauville Rally

£900 seems a lot but then again, it is not a usual rally.

Deauville is on the North Coast of France and for a three day long rally that includes parties and hotel stays as part of the whole event, it is a lot more than a map for directions and also a couple of expensive looking stickers.

I am a friend of the organisers and I would like to re-itierate and confirm that Rupert Bonham-Smith has nothing to do with the rally at all, since the organiser has felt that he is a somewhat destrcutive liability. The organisation of the rally is being done by Auracle and he is fully aware and pro-actively taking every step to ensure the efficient running of the rally.

I think that if you go to www.deauvillerally.com it will explain the true nature of the rally. I think that there are a few people that might be interested in this rally, and I am very keen to go, and strongly believe that there are more people that would be interested if they were fully informed

well, this finishes my virgin posting on rib.net forum and it seems that a lot of the banter is akin to a children's playground with some of the comments on other 'threads.' But then again, I am sure that there are a lot of people that are not too pleased with some members of the boating community...
Old 03 July 2005, 20:32   #55

Town: exmouth
Boat name: cider daze
Make: revenger
Length: 27
Engine: outboard 200 xs
pictures of my rib ciderdaze have been used on the web site, nobody asked me, does this mean i can go for free if so i am up for it
Old 03 July 2005, 21:09   #56
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOPC member
he is a somewhat destructive liability
wiv a naim lyke rewpirt bonam smiff i aynt fkin sirprized

dorris cholmondely-gArfish
Old 03 July 2005, 21:23   #57

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish
...dorris cholmondely-gArfish
How sweet, gArfie.

Old 03 July 2005, 21:23   #58

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !

Us
Old 08 August 2005, 00:58   #59

Length: 10m +
No further information?

The website is lacking real info.

Where are the refuel stops?

The website says 200 miles, yet it works out at about 270 miles!

There is no 'notice to mariners' on the PLA website about 30 race boats leaving Tower Bridge on the 3rd!
Old 08 August 2005, 14:13   #60

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
phew.. what a lot of horseshit.. I think just for the fun of it will come down from Nieuwport and do a few turns across their bows...
( But it makes interesting reading on a wet Monday)
Jonathan