Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Speed through Anchored boats

Rant warning i am affraid!

i spent much of last weekend anchored in Osbourne bay enjoying the remains of our summer. What really got me was the speed at which some people feel is acceptable to move through anchored boats.

now we were well inshore (about 30 yards from the shore line) and we constantly had ribs and sports boats coming past us at plaining speed and even the odd motor cruiser at semi displacement speed.

If it was a question of being pissed off about spilling my wine i wouldnt bother writing but there were plenty of people in the water throughout the day and i am sure that most people would have no chance of getting out the way of a speeding rib! (or any boat for that matter)

I am affraid that whoever was helming the large ribcraft that several members here took around the british isles did themselves no favours by hammering into Osbourne Bay on saturday evening at around 30 kts between the anchored boats with the cd player pumping and lots of screeming and shouting. i could hear the crys of displesasure from the other boats but maybe you couldnt.

what this boils down to is, lets realise we may need to be a little bit considerate when in confined spaces with other boats at anchor and the strong chance people will be in water.

rant over...
Old 08 August 2007, 07:28   #2
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
We saw a similar thing on Sunday. We were in Priory Bay and after spending a while on the beach we packed up and left but while we were motoring out we saw a guy on a large jetski thrashing around the moored boats doing high speed 360s, no doubt being very impressive.

As you say, there were a number of people in the water and kids in tenders as well as people skiing not far away. We called at him to slow down but he ignored us. Not sure what can be done but common sense should prevail around moored boats like that.
Old 08 August 2007, 07:33   #3

Town: East Sussex
Boat name: Bfor
Make: Jeanneau
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 3gm30
Stretch some 80lb fishing line between two boats at "jet-ski-head" height.

(And that is in jest, lest someone accuses me of inciting violent behaviour)

Lastly - why does the sensible 6 knot speed limit in the Itchen apply to Jet Skis ?
Old 08 August 2007, 11:10   #4

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb View Post
Lastly - why does the sensible 6 knot speed limit in the Itchen apply to Jet Skis ?
On my way to/from Ocean Quay Marina I see quite a few vessels to whom the 6 knot speed limit obviously does NOT apply! While I can just about understand a younger skipper's youthful exuberance, there are those of more mature years who seem to think they are exempt.

I guess it takes all sorts ....

Andy
Old 08 August 2007, 15:44   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Don't get me started on this!

We has similar experiences in Osborne Bay on Sat & Mon and our blood was seriously boiling.

I'd just about calmed down and now you've got me going again!

I won't even start ranting about the lack of life jackets among helm/passengers of these offending vessels....
Old 08 August 2007, 21:48   #6

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
i would like to say it was all jet skis but in their defence, all the ones i saw this weekend were being Very considerate playing well away from anchored boats and moving through gently.

i dont want to get at anyone having fun but there is enough water around for us all to enjoy it safely!