There is nothing even on the web site, or Gumballs site
Old 06 September 2005, 15:35   #262

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
Mark, I dont think people are knocking the event at all - .

WHAT!!!! It's been knocked by loads of people on here, just read some of their bitter comments.

And I don't buy into the fact that they are only knocking the organisers...by default they were willing the event to fail.

I suspect certain people on here just couldn't bear the fact that people who weren't part of their clique (and maybe didn't have that much experience)were organising an event that involved boats and Ribs in particular, and they went all out to destoy it by using this forum. That is what I call small minded jealousy.

And Mark is right. They don't know when to stop knocking it, probably because it was so successful.

God knows what gleeful comments we would have had if it been a failure.
Old 06 September 2005, 15:38   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
Who won?
Would love to see some of the photos!
There is nothing even on the web site, or Gumballs site
Photos are being put together and will be on Guball 3000 website soon
Old 06 September 2005, 15:48   #264

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
The cost is a case in point - when many asked what the charge included, the questions were igonored or again pointed to the website that was / is wooly to say the least. Mark, as for the only people being able to comment on the cost being those who went on the rally - horseshit. I know what value for money is - £900 on ifs, maybe's and could be's on a rally isnt. £900 on a decently organised cross channel trip with parties and accomodation could have been and that's the problem - not enough detail and too much spin left people non the wiser.
The cost is a very interesting case in point. I think the £900 mentioned on RibNet had been discounted down from £1300, yet back June, The Telegraph ran an article mentioning £800 per entrant.. Link.
Old 06 September 2005, 16:00   #265

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
wrong.

dont know who was willing the event to fail tim - cant see any evidence of that on the threads - perhaps I'm missing something - I certainly wasnt and even some of the most ardent posters didnt go that far - it's all about attitude as far as I'm concerned and just because I think the organisers came accross as clowns doesnt mean I wanted the event to fail "by default". Most ribnetters have a sufficiently high IQ to be able to seperate an event from the personalities behind it and I'm sure you do too..

As an example, I think Ken Livingstone is an arse and Tony Blair and deceitful lizard but still wanted the London Olympic bid to be successful becuase of the benefits it should bring to the capital. In the same way, events such as the DV rally can only be could for boating in general - but it doesnt mean I have to have any respect for those behind it.

As for comments being bitter - perhaps, but more likely it has been that people have become a bit weary of bullshit over substance and the use of the forum to abuse the very people the organisers should be trying to attract.

As far as I am aware, nobody went out to destroy the event - eupa threatened to ride accross the thames but I would hardly call this a feat of destruction would you?

The organisers not being part of my or anyone else's clique is neither here nor there - I have very little in common with the Earl of March and am certainly not in his clique, but he organises one of the best days out of the year at the Festival of Speed at Goodwood for all car lovers, regardless of their backgrounds, social standing and wealth. Being part of a clique is absolutely neither here nor there in determining how successful an event is or how much support it gets from the public...

"small minded jealousy" - trust me tim, from recent experience, most people on here have absolutely no reason to be jealous of anybody involved in the organisation of the rally.
Old 06 September 2005, 16:09   #266
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
I have met Rib babe and she is very much a real person.
. . . and you have a very close personal relationship with HM The Queen too!

John
Old 06 September 2005, 16:11   #267

Donutsina911

You make some very good comments and comparisons, some of which I agree with, some I don't.

Whatever...I had a fab day out in great company with nice people (really they are!) and I want it to happen again with morre boats.

You must understand that I am very lonely being the only Rib moored permanently on the Tidal Thames, and any events that happen on my stretch of water I am a fervant supporter of. ( I might draw the line at an Al Qaeda Rally to Parliament)
Old 06 September 2005, 16:11   #268

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
...all of the above.... and.... Rupert is a lying, cheating, deceitful little *****, who I will have a go at any time I see his unpleasant little self about.. until such time as he apologises and makes amends….. I know this is not my usual standard of response, but I’ve grown weary of being nice….
Old 06 September 2005, 16:13   #269

Old 06 September 2005, 16:14   #270

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Come on Jono don't beat about the bush, say what you mean!
Old 06 September 2005, 17:38   #271

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
I have met Rib babe and she is very much a real person. She is a charming lady who took part as crew on the Deaville Rally.

next question?

I thought she was one of three "chelsea" bimbos- that were taking their rib across the channel - well that was implied in the initial post, and now the poor woman has been downgraded to a simple deckhand- it makes me very suspicious of the whole thing. Tell you what , to show my good faith- I will enter the 2006 one.

jonathan
Old 06 September 2005, 17:49   #272

Town: London
Boat name: Spectre of Defeat II
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 80hp merc
MMSI: N/A
All in all a success

The gods smiled on the rally and all entrants enjoyed near perfect weather.

Of course there was a bit of faffing around whilst rebecca loos had some snaps on the boats and the irratic pace of the pace boat meant that some of us got through more fuel than we expected.

As we got to the entrance of the Thames it was clear that we would not make Ramsgate so we put in to Whitstable and a very kind rib owner who runs four commercial vessels took us upto the petrol station in his van and as a result we caught up with the fleet and with another 200 litres in the tanks managed to surf in the wake of the Sea Ray all the way across the channel and just made it into Boulogne at night with 20 litres to spare! With the sun setting on the white cliffs of Dover the channel crossing for me was the highlight.

Of course the event was not perfectly run and that was only to be expected. Ed and Duncan from Gumball had taken on a big task and obviously some things would be overlooked and learnt for next year.

Selfishly I chose not to be involved as I wanted to enjoy the rally as a competitor and it was a great way to spend my last days in the boat world before I start a proper job in London this Autumn.

What cannot be ignored is the huge spirit of friendship and comraderie which has been built between the pioneers and a number of people who had never been in a rib before are now completely hooked. That is very positive for the industry as you can be assured they will be spreading the word all this week in London. Next year this will be very big!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nerd.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	14240  
Old 06 September 2005, 18:01   #273

Photos of rib babes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
I thought she was one of three "chelsea" bimbos- that were taking their rib across the channel - well that was implied in the initial post, and now the poor woman has been downgraded to a simple deckhand- it makes me very suspicious of the whole thing. Tell you what , to show my good faith- I will enter the 2006 one.

jonathan
They all exist the photos will prove it! Stay tuned!
Old 06 September 2005, 18:04   #274

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Selfishly I chose not to be involved as I wanted to enjoy the rally as a competitor and it was a great way to spend my last days in the boat world before I start a proper job in London this Autumn.

You mean to say that you have found somebody to employ YOU??. Well, well well. With your record????

jonathan
Old 06 September 2005, 18:10   #275

glad it went well (honest!)...
Old 06 September 2005, 18:25   #276

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
They all exist the photos will prove it! Stay tuned!
And the footage from the helicopter filming?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 18:53   #277

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre racing
Selfishly I chose not to be involved ....
I think the expression "dumped like a hot potato" comes to mind...you are a feckin' liability to poor old Ed... I was gonna rise to the bait when I saw the state of the RIB in your picture which, from your record of boat preparation, must be yours... but then I thought... too easy....
If you give it a whiz next year, Eups... I'll crew for ya.... I can't wait for the party... I think I'll go down a storm, don't you?
Old 06 September 2005, 19:23   #278

A few photos for those who are interested

http://www.atlantic-web.com/deauville.htm
Old 06 September 2005, 19:58   #279

Length: no boat
"A few photos for those who are interested"

What did I miss!!!!
Old 06 September 2005, 20:37   #280

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Indigo Blue
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 250 outboard
Perhaps Rupert should apologize to Eupa and you can all make friends! I'm sure that if you all sat down for a beer you could make things better between yourselves - then again I am not a councellor.
Here is a link to a cool website which might help you all relax (you need sound).
http://www.infinitewheel.com/dubselector.html

The rally sounds fun anyway.