Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
nocando and Poly

No Justification need I assure you if I want to buy one I will they are so reasonable priced that it is not a big deal

I wonder if either of you have ever imported such an item which if you read back was the main thrust of the thread

Never a boat, in fact I don’t think I can recall anyone on here ever importing an individual boat from China. Back in the day Codprawn got enough derision for importing one from the Channel Islands. I have imported high value items from Asia in the past both as one offs and regular purchases in the day job, mostly small enough to fit on a pallet and even that is a total ball ache. I hope you speak the language of Inco terms, bills of lading and customs paperwork. I assume you don’t have an EORI number? There is presumably a way to avoid that - but it probably involves a fee to some agent! If you can risk the cash without using letters of credit you will at least save that heartache.

When’s it coming?
Old 18 July 2020, 01:11   #42

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Never a boat, in fact I don’t think I can recall anyone on here ever importing an individual boat from China. Back in the day Codprawn got enough derision for importing one from the Channel Islands. I have imported high value items from Asia in the past both as one offs and regular purchases in the day job, mostly small enough to fit on a pallet and even that is a total ball ache. I hope you speak the language of Inco terms, bills of lading and customs paperwork. I assume you don’t have an EORI number? There is presumably a way to avoid that - but it probably involves a fee to some agent! If you can risk the cash without using letters of credit you will at least save that heartache.

When’s it coming?
I also have not bought any item to this value direct from China and many of the things you mention above are not familiar to me. I have two friends who work in the Transport Industry who did a lot of import/export work and I am sure they would assist. I am still emailing the Manager of the factory as it is quite difficult thrashing out the finer detail because of the language barrier although her English seems quite good.

As to when it will arrive or indeed if I will buy this time will tell on that one.
Old 18 July 2020, 06:08   #43

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
For me personally I wouldn’t buy if I hadn’t seen it first.

I’m sure there was a lost a while back where someone visited a Chinese factory? Might be worth a search in here?
Old 18 July 2020, 07:34   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
For me personally I wouldn’t buy if I hadn’t seen it first.

I’m sure there was a lost a while back where someone visited a Chinese factory? Might be worth a search in here?
I remember seein g that at some point but where indeed.

I have seen these boats at various boat shows under various names they generally looked good but buying like this is indeed a leap of faith
Old 18 August 2020, 03:46   #45

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Rosie
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50
Hi I am new on here but I would definitely be interested in seeing what Chinese boats look like being used cheers m
Old 18 August 2020, 05:23   #46

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/visit-t...ory-81358.html
Old 18 August 2020, 21:09   #47

Can I ask which company you are looking at ??
Old 18 August 2020, 21:14   #48

Quote:
So:

4000 boat
1100 shipping
550 trailer
====
1283 vat and duty
====
6933 (plus no doubt someone wants to charge you some handling fees)

So probably 12+ k including engine and battery (I’m guessing that’s not include). Oh, and then an anchor, ropes, vhf and ant, gps etc...

For something that might not be on a road legal trailer, assuming of course it turns up in many weeks time. And then, if you want to sell it nobody has heard of the brand, everyone, rightly or wrongly is suspicious of Chinese boats so you might not get much back.

Of course it’s your money and if you can afford to take a punt on 7k in the current climate then good luck.
I am interested to know what your answer is instead of the above solution ??
Old 18 August 2020, 21:42   #49
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I don’t know where your Tornado was made but the company responsible is in Denmark - that seems to be the difference!
Old 18 August 2020, 22:34   #50

Import duties are 1.7%
Old 18 August 2020, 22:36   #51

I agree with you it looks a very good properstion
Be happy to share container of your intrested
Old 18 August 2020, 23:39   #52

The company might well be responsible in Denmark
But rest assured lot of bits on it didn’t come from denmark
For example the center console with its Chinese number on the in side hhhmmm ��
Old 19 August 2020, 07:51   #53
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
China Made Ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saparkintent View Post
I am interested to know what your answer is instead of the above solution ??

I’m not sure I understand your question. I own a boat so don’t have a problem to solve. 99% of people here bought boats from somewhere they could physically see the product (or a similar one), in a jurisdiction where they have good consumer rights if something goes wrong, and where they didn’t need to deal with customs duty and import VAT. If you want to be a maverick pioneer who breaks the norms then go for it - but you are coming here asking if anyone else has done it before which implies you prefer to follow in others footsteps.
Old 19 August 2020, 11:17   #54

Quote:
I’m not sure I understand your question. I own a boat so don’t have a problem to solve. 99% of people here bought boats from somewhere they could physically see the product (or a similar one), in a jurisdiction where they have good consumer rights if something goes wrong, and where they didn’t need to deal with customs duty and import VAT. If you want to be a maverick pioneer who breaks the norms then go for it - but you are coming here asking if anyone else has done it before which implies you prefer to follow in others footsteps.
Or he still want s to do his own thing but is investigating who else might have done it
Old 21 August 2020, 08:43   #55

Town: Melbourne
I see there are 2 threads running on this.

I just received my RIB from China last week.

I'll post photos shortly and link to them from the relevant threads.

I bought it sight unseen from a Chinese manufacturer. I didn't do a heap of research, but rather enough to make me comfortable with the purchase.

It was only fairly recently the details of someone else in my country that had already purchased some of them to sell as a business. They did mention this to me early on but I had forgotten about it.

Stand by for photos and details.
Old 21 August 2020, 10:23   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
you would stand at that helm with seating behind for passengers.
That console is not screwed down yet, it's just sitting there for illustration purposes, just like the engine. They should have put it back a bit as it makes the front of the boat look smaller. The console isn't tall enough for full-time standing up. If you were over 6ft, you'd be reaching down to use the steering wheel.
Old 21 August 2020, 10:32   #57

I ordered my 5.1 metre RIB from the HaiHao boat factory in Qingdao China after viewing their website and making some inquiries via the Alibaba chat app with the company. Maggie my sales representative was extremely helpful and made a series of videos for me of the factory floor and the production process. She had clearly done this before as she was saying my name in clear English and explaining what she was filming. Of course there are stories of videos being made in factories supposedly making your product, however in this case I had no concerns. Maggie did tell me that they have shipped many boats to my country and looking at their facebook page, they are sending out at least a large boat or two per week.

The base cost of the 5.1 metre RIB was USD$3,020 for a 1.2mm PVC fabric. Hypalon was a significant amount more. I am fully aware of the Hypalon versus PVC arguments and for me, it was not worth the extra as based on my last PVC boat looking in immaculate condition after 6 years, I figure this one will last a lot longer and it's also 1.2mm versus .9mm of the old one.

I paid extra for packaging, around $220 for iron and wooden box (which I didn't need in the end). The boat comes standard with a pair of oars, foot pump, repair kit, anchor tray, centre console, bilge pump, mechanical steering, 60 litre built in fuel tank, fibreglass arch roll bar with 3 lights, pencil ends, front and back storage with cushions.

I purchased some extras including full boat cover, rear ladder, side tube ladder (very impressed with this), aluminium tubed folding sunshade, 4kg anchor, 4 life-jackets, extra wiring switches, 1 extra cushion for the front with steel supporting base and an extra set of mounting points for the tube ladder so I can use it on the other side.

All up around US$4,100.

I also purchased 2 x 2.3 metre inflatables to help subsidise the freight costs and sell privately. I paid US$280 for them including oars, pump, repair kit, seat bag, full cover, extra mounting points for davits, aluminium floor, round rear ends, and 1.2mm fabric which is not common for inflatables of this size. I sold these almost immediately on arrival for US$600 on Gumtree.

Sea Freight is where I got caught out a little, however I had factored in fat for this as it did seem to be a little too cheap based on the quote.

I was expecting to be up for US$2,600 including 10% GST (no import duties into Australia from China, due to free-trade agreement). Due to an issue with the container types coming out of Qingdao being mostly frozen (reefer) containers, the freight agent was not comfortable putting the box into a container safely without damaging the floor. I believe this motivation was actually because of the unusual shape of the box and the difficulty in loading additional freight (and making money from it) in with it as they are a freight consolidator.

New price for freight, GST and ALL import costs, including freight to the Port of Melbourne and delivery and pickup of the container with freight to my house 30kms from the port was US$3,800.

All up costs US$7,900 from start to finish. Build time was 20 days, shipping time was 18 days port to port from Qingdao China, to Melbourne Australia plus a few days due to Border Patrol having to scan the 20ft container.

The trailer I already had was US$1,200 with an all up weight of 1650 lb's with RIB on-board.

I had to wire up the boat and fit GPS with maps and a Standard Horizon VHF radio which cost me around US$400.

It is currently being fitted with a Mercury 80hp 4 stroke. This is 360 lb's, plus battery. This is the larger 2.1 litre 4 cylinder in-line engine which revs much less than the 60hp and is in theory much quieter and potentially more fuel efficient.

The cost here for this engine fitted is US$7,500.

Total cost without trailer US$15,400.

Why did I buy this size? It's the biggest boat that I could fit into my garage. The frustrating part is that for literally US$600-$800 more I could have bought a 5.5 metre or larger which would have been a much larger boat, however it wouldn't fit my garage, plus I would have had to purchase a new trailer with brakes and a larger motor with hydraulic steering and the costs start to stack up.

Apologies as the pics don't have the fabric seats clipped in, however you get the idea.

How is the quality? The fabric is really good and it's noticeably thicker than my old .9mm boat. There are a couple of areas where some fabric strips haven't been aligned perfectly straight (around the front below the anchor tree), but it's minor cosmetic and not structural. The fibreglass work is very good and there are only a few minor areas of gelcoat that aren't super-shiny, but that being said, a dealer would normally polish these up during the pre-delivery process. The moulded grip on the floor is very good and there are few if any imperfections in the mould. The seat is a good width with the cushion at 900mm, however the backrest mounts are wide so the grab handles are a lot wider than that. The seat on front of the console is a good size for my 6 and 7 year old to sit and hold the handles, or they can sit up front or on the extra cushion on the front (not shown in the pics).

I chose primary colour, decorations, grab-handle placement and colour, tube ladder positions, rear ladder and position of the console.

I think that's it. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

The 2.3 metre boats were surprisingly good quality and very durable. They sold like hotcakes which has got me wondering if I should be buying some more of them.

Old 21 August 2020, 10:38   #58

Old 16 February 2021, 16:06   #59

Town: Thaxted
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: China
Engine: Outboard, 50hp
Chinese RIB

So I've just ordered this from China, pretty much exactly as pictured in the opening post from @smallribber (gone for grey stripes rather than white and black GRP). Should be here in 6 weeks or so, so I'll keep you posted.

Old 16 February 2021, 16:42   #60

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid_rib View Post
So I've just ordered this from China, pretty much exactly as pictured in the opening post from @smallribber (gone for grey stripes rather than white and black GRP). Should be here in 6 weeks or so, so I'll keep you posted.

Genuinely interested to see how it turns out! which engine are you going with?
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib