Old 27 April 2021, 08:47   #1
Sye

Town: Reading
Boat name: T40
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF30
Capelli Tempest 500 in the UK

Hey guys, Been in the club for a while but this is my first post. After buying my Honwave T40 in Dec and after using it up and down the river during restricted travel I took it out from Northney at the weekend. Anyone that was out in that area over the weekend will know it wasn't ideal conditions and after miss timing the tides I got stuck on the Langstone side of the bridge and had to take the long way around along the seafront in 1.8m swells. What can I say! What an adventure! Uncomfortable, yes! Scary! Yep!! But that being said I plodded forward at 4knts into wind over tide and although the bench flew off, as did the transom tank I made it one piece. However, what I did learn is that I need a bigger boat - So I've just agreed to buy a mates Capelli Tempest 500 with Yam 100. I've been searching the internet and understand these are a med boat and made in Cyprus where they are very popular. However I'm keen to know if anyone in the group has one of these in the UK? I did read(possibly on here) that one guy had a problem with his after burying his bow into a ships wake and the tube coming away from the front. Obviously after being out in the deep a mile or so offshore in the my little tub at the weekend I really want to make sure me and my family would be safe in the Capelli if we got caught out and conditions changed for the worse. Would also be nice to know I'm not the only person in the UK with one
Old 16 May 2021, 21:33   #2

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Hi, I have a Capelli Tempest 470 with Suzuki 70, which I've now had for about 10 years. It is a great very well made & designed and seaworthy boat and I've had a a lot or reliable fun with it. This has included trips to the Channel Isles (Alderney) from Poole and the Scilly Isles from Penzance, in which I went with a flotilla of other, mostly much larger ribs and was easily able to hold my own with them in some quite challenging seas.
The 'Med' design is largely seen in the comparatively large amount of deck/sunning space that is available as compared to most UK based ribs. This is however at the expense of more secure type jockey seating. It is also great for locker storage enabling all kit to be secured 'below' decks.
The hull is a good deep V of excellent design and was shown in the channel crossings to be far more capable than similar sized Zodiacs.
Interestingly, I also graduated from a Honwave.

see the video trailer to one of our trips:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Here is a Cheesy Trailer:

And here is the Video:

Thanks for a great trip
Old 16 May 2021, 21:53   #3
Sye

Hey Longjohn,

Thanks for reaching out, I was hoping you would as come across a few of your posts on here when searching for Capelli. Love that you graduated from a Honwave too 😀 Great to hear of your adventures and confidence in the Capelli. I feel real lucky getting mine as they seem to be fairly rare in the uk and I have to admit I totally understand the added safety of the jockey type seats, but the med style layout with the storage will work much better for me and my family on fair weather trips to coastal anchoring points along the south coast. We’re looking forward to sunning swimming lunching and tubing from it as soon as the weather decides it wants to come out this year. As well as a few possible harsher trips to do some fishing with mates as the weather turns. It’s down at rib repair at the moment having a few little bits done such as adding my transducer and getting the strapping tape redone under the tube of the bow as has spent its life in the Thames rubbing up against banks. Plus a few few over things like having the hull acid washed etc.. to get out some of the stains. So excited to get it back and hoping the weather changes soon! I always wondered if the honwave would make it across to the silly isles on the right day in the right weather?? And even had a few other guys with SIB’s possibly up for doing it in a flotilla but after I got caught out by the tide and had to come the long way around the front of the island head Into 35k winds ams 1.8m swell I think I’d rather do it with something a little more solid under foot 😂 if you search Simon Frewin on YouTube your see a short vid I did of the experience which will give a rough idea of when I realised I needed a bigger boat 😂😂 That being said if I was to do it I’d always try to catch a group of guys doing it at the same time just in case, but it’s 100% up on the bucket list.
Old 16 May 2021, 22:01   #4
Sye

Wow some serious hardware in the vid! Great video btw �� the crossing out looked lumpy �� How long did it take?
Old 17 May 2021, 07:57   #5

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sye View Post
Wow some serious hardware in the vid! Great video btw �� the crossing out looked lumpy �� How long did it take?

Yes the crossing out was pretty lumpy - more so than the vid shows. It took just over 3 hrs , coming back was mostly as smooth as a mill pond and took about 2 1/2 hours.
Old 17 May 2021, 08:11   #6
Sye

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Yes the crossing out was pretty lumpy - more so than the vid shows. It took just over 3 hrs , coming back was mostly as smooth as a mill pond and took about 2 1/2 hours.
The cameras never do the conditions any justice whatsoever. Just dug out the vid I mentioned where it was 1.8-2m swell and other than the noises from me as we dropped off the waves it looks like a glorious day 😂

https://youtu.be/wP-mvlYcRZY
Old 16 November 2021, 10:22   #7

Town: fort william
Boat name: happy jazz
Make: capelli
Length: 10m +
Engine: twin 250hp
Sye, did you end up Getting the capelli rib? I came across a capelli 900WA at the beginning of the year.
I wasn't looking for a capelli but ended up with one as the price was right and the condition of the rib was right. 2008, one owner, 109hrs on twin suzuki's!

I don't love the look of the boat, but it has proved itself. Outer hebrides of scotland twice this summer. Put over 100hrs on it this year alone! Absolutely solid boat! Overkill thickness on the fibregalss hull and cockpit. I am having a custom hard top made for it. I love the open air feeling of a rib but i do use this one for overnights and it has been known to rain from time to time up here in sunny scotland

So far its been a great boat. Feels solid on the water. Even at 50kts!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MDcgMPFC86kT2THo6
Old 16 November 2021, 10:31   #8
Sye

Awesome!! I did see a 770s out in Poole over the summer and see that there is one for sale down there now which may be the same one. I did get mine in the end and if you search Simon Frewin on YouTube your see some of the vids from a couple of runs this year. I absolutely love it! And we had some amazing times this summer but like every captain I do long for a bigger boat 😂 We also came across a lot of other rib users on our travels who were ever so slightly jealous of the med boat lay out whilst we sunbathed on the front and they balanced on the tubes 😂 The wife longs for something with a cabin and a toilet on it so may keep this one for a bit and see how the market is next yr.
Old 16 November 2021, 10:34   #9
Sye

Just saw the pic!! This is the ultimate for me and hope to one day have something like this!! Absolutely stunning!!
Old 16 November 2021, 10:41   #10

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sye View Post
😂 The wife longs for something with a cabin and a toilet on it so may keep this one for a bit and see how the market is next yr.
I can sympathise there Sye, my better half put it this simply. "I want a boat with a downstairs". It appears it's not open for discussion!
Old 16 November 2021, 10:42   #11

ticks most of the boxes for me.

Fast, yet fun for the family.

Toilet, sink, frdge and a really big double bed!

You can tube behind it, you can overnight with it.
Came with a complete canvas tent for the top which makes it suitable for 4 adults.

The only thing it doesn't have is a hard top. I am working on that as we speak

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6CiQDL84B6sFZ3FV7
Old 16 November 2021, 10:44   #12

i took a bunch of pictures as i was considering selling it mid summer. Then i changed my mind as i was having too much fun

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGHciF5SvHkjxjEk9
Old 16 November 2021, 11:46   #13

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander123 View Post
i took a bunch of pictures as i was considering selling it mid summer. Then i changed my mind as i was having too much fun

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGHciF5SvHkjxjEk9
That's a lovely looking boat - I won't show her the pics though, I'll never hear the end of it!
Old 16 November 2021, 11:55   #14

I removed the link. I forgot that some of the album had videos. May have been content that would violate one of the forum rules.
It has been a great boat. I am building a hard top for it then having a sail maker fabricate some windowed canvas panels. Need a bit of protection to extend the boating season up here on the west coast of scotland.
Old 16 November 2021, 12:54   #15
Sye

She is an absolute stunner and would be absolutely perfect for us! Need to save a few more pennies though! 😂 Hopefully you keep it a few more years and when I’ve got enough saved up I can buy it from you. Do you keep her in the water or on a dry stack? Or do you trailer her? I’d imagine she sticks out just a little from the back of the car on a trailer 😂
Old 16 November 2021, 13:32   #16

i kept it in the water all summer and out on a trailer during the winter or for a service.

Towed it home from south hampton at the beginning of this year.

Thats it behind my hilux. (i had to deflate the tubes to get it road legal width)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHZ4Dgjritq5T7cn6

and this is it sitting next to my 6.3m humber ocean pro
https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3x1ERKSv1F3Lr5r7