Old 16 July 2020, 20:41   #21

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
No expert but reckon duty is about 6% and have to add vat i think ?
Old 16 July 2020, 22:55   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
So:

4000 boat
1100 shipping
550 trailer
====
1283 vat and duty
====
6933 (plus no doubt someone wants to charge you some handling fees)

So probably 12+ k including engine and battery (I’m guessing that’s not include). Oh, and then an anchor, ropes, vhf and ant, gps etc...

For something that might not be on a road legal trailer, assuming of course it turns up in many weeks time. And then, if you want to sell it nobody has heard of the brand, everyone, rightly or wrongly is suspicious of Chinese boats so you might not get much back.

Of course it’s your money and if you can afford to take a punt on 7k in the current climate then good luck.
Old 17 July 2020, 04:21   #23

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
So:

4000 boat
1100 shipping
550 trailer
====
1283 vat and duty
====
6933 (plus no doubt someone wants to charge you some handling fees)

So probably 12+ k including engine and battery (I’m guessing that’s not include). Oh, and then an anchor, ropes, vhf and ant, gps etc...

For something that might not be on a road legal trailer, assuming of course it turns up in many weeks time. And then, if you want to sell it nobody has heard of the brand, everyone, rightly or wrongly is suspicious of Chinese boats so you might not get much back.

Of course it’s your money and if you can afford to take a punt on 7k in the current climate then good luck.
If you have an engine and also all the other bits you mention then it is far less than that. Also I realized that the 'Punt' would only be the money you are required to Pay China before it arrives so about £4500 or even less if you can agree some sort of 50 % now and 50% when it arrives deal.

Resale value has never been a concern to me. My view is once you have parted with your money it is gone. Also I would not go with the trailer option which brings the cost of shipping down. I already have a trailer.

So all in all I think it is still an excellent deal

So more like:

Boat Etc £4000
Shipping £ 450
Tax and VAT £1150
Contingency £ 400

Total £6000

Use all the stuff you have and I feel that is very good value. At least half the cost of any UK bought new boat and you would still have to buy all the extra stuff you mention. Also from what I have read on here the wait time for a UK built boat is quite long
Old 17 July 2020, 05:19   #24

Been looking at the various Taxes etc and I think you would have to Pay VAT at the standard rate and also inport Duty of I think 2.75 % so to allow for a few extra charges I think we should be adding 25 % to the declared customs value. So the £1150 I state above is about right
Old 17 July 2020, 07:49   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
If you have an engine and also all the other bits you mention then it is far less than that.
not really you’ve still spent the money just spread over time. The person who buys that boat will want a shiny new engine on the back - you don’t buy a boat with flashy fake teak decks and stick some tatty old two stroke on it.

Quote:
Also I realized that the 'Punt' would only be the money you are required to Pay China before it arrives so about £4500 or even less if you can agree some sort of 50 % now and 50% when it arrives deal.
good luck with that, no company with any sense is going to ship a product to a random on the other side of the world without all the cash. No shipping agent is going to release it until all their fees, duties and taxes are paid at which point it will be too late to walk away on quality grounds.

Quote:
Resale value has never been a concern to me. My view is once you have parted with your money it is gone. Also I would not go with the trailer option which brings the cost of shipping down. I already have a trailer.
go for it then - you seem to be looking for people to tell you it’s a great idea. I think it’s a great idea for you to take the risk and tell us all how it goes. For any normal buyer looking for a budget boat they’ll need a trailer (a few posts up you seemed to suggest that you were planning to put it on a trailer).

Quote:
So all in all I think it is still an excellent deal
At least half the cost of any UK bought new boat and you would still have to buy all the extra stuff you mention. Also from what I have read on here the wait time for a UK built boat is quite long
The wait is for a UK built boat, created to your exact specifications. If you want a mass produced boat to standard spec then in normal (non covid times) various people will have those ex-stock of much quicker.

Humber would do you an assault that size for that sort of money.

Looking at the cost of valiants and mercury ocean runners being sold as packages the basic hull must be a similar price.

In all those cases you will get a boat you can touch and see, uk support if something goes wrong, a hull shape which is known (possibly not particularly deep V but well understood) and at least for the humber hypalon tubes.
Old 17 July 2020, 07:59   #26

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Good points well made Poly
Seeing...Hadleing...comparing...and inspecting anything you are going to Sea in and potentially putting you're life (and probably others) at risk in,is always a good idea!....apart from that...The world as a whole I'd just waking up to the implications of trading with Totalitarian controlled countries....and what you're hard earned ultimately pays to support.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 15:44   #27

It is clear that many are Prejudice and don't seem to want to see that good in alternatives. To some a Risk of 7 or so grand is not a big Risk and I simply have no interest in resale value what so ever so if I go for it that will not feature at all.

Any others on here got anything positive to say to perhaps balance out the few negative people
Old 17 July 2020, 15:51   #28

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Engine: Suzuki 20
Why do you need justification? It is your money to spend how you please.

If you think a Chinese rib will do what you need it to then crack on.

You seem intent on trying to convince others of your views, forget about it.

People are not all prejudiced, you are just asking something no doubt that has been discussed many times and you don't like the answer.

Not all UK made ribs are the same quality, when you know what to look for the differences are there. No doubt the same applies to one made elsewhere too.
Old 17 July 2020, 17:48   #29

nocando and Poly

No Justification need I assure you if I want to buy one I will they are so reasonable priced that it is not a big deal

I wonder if either of you have ever imported such an item which if you read back was the main thrust of the thread
Old 17 July 2020, 18:17   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
nocando and Poly

No Justification need I assure you if I want to buy one I will they are so reasonable priced that it is not a big deal

I wonder if either of you have ever imported such an item which if you read back was the main thrust of the thread

I’m sure we’ve met before, your voice has a familiar ring to it, I just can’t put my finger on it[emoji848]
Makes you think[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 19:47   #31

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Plumbing the depths in a big way there Dave [emoji1]
Old 17 July 2020, 20:09   #32

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’m sure we’ve met before, your voice has a familiar ring to it, I just can’t put my finger on it[emoji848]
Makes you think[emoji57]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Plumbing the depths in a big way there Dave [emoji1]
That’s some ‘BIG’ assumptions being made.................🤣🤣
Old 17 July 2020, 20:25   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Curiously, I had been wondering if there was "life after death" and maybe Plumby had got a leg out of the tomb. After all, Nocando is Fu Manchu...

...but then I remembered there was one born every minute
Old 17 July 2020, 20:41   #34

Getting back on post i reckon the poster has sort of proved a point ,or not ,IMHO having owned highfield and ribcraft ,the telling factor for me is the usd rate at the time ,and that aint right now ,6k for a unseen boat ,1.2k for a road trailer and 7k for 60hp ,thats making this https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...ibs-460/315788 ,look a no brainer for me
Old 17 July 2020, 20:46   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
look a no brainer for me
Evinrude Etec? But the manufacturer just bailed! Who wants to jump in?
Old 17 July 2020, 20:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Evinrude Etec? But the manufacturer just bailed! Who wants to jump in?
OK ,i was,nt going into such detail ,but what a lovely starter for 10k !!
Old 17 July 2020, 20:56   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
OK ,i was,nt going into such detail ,but what a lovely starter for 10k !!
To be fair (and I wasn't), I'd sink 10k in that before any k in a random photoshopped image on a virtual shop window.

And yeah, I have and would spend the money "at home". Comes 'round, goes 'round.
Old 17 July 2020, 21:54   #38

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Curiously, I had been wondering if there was "life after death" and maybe Plumby had got a leg out of the tomb. After all, Nocando is Fu Manchu...

...but then I remembered there was one born every minute

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 22:17   #39

As leisure boats go, I think she looks quite nice (I'm more of a rugged guy). But the console is wrong. Whoever is on the bench gets my 4r5£ in their face? Doesn't look much space between the suicide seats and the anchor pad seat either...

If you ware buying from a dealer in the UK you'll normally find they can let you come and almost mark up with a pencil where you want the console etc. (There may be structure limitations).

You'll be adding your own engine etc - have you done it before? I'd want mine done by someone who's done it. I reckon I know what I'm doing. I'd still let someone else do it!

£6k - you'd get a UK supplied, chinese built in that length (3d-Tender XPRO) for less $$ and have someone to be able to go back for a discussion with if something isn't going right. OK so the guy laying the GRP isn't in this country, but the dealer is.

BUT - I'm keen you buy. None of the others on here will buy it off you when you decide to sell, and you told me you don't care about resale value... [:-D]
Old 17 July 2020, 22:54   #40

Quote:
I was having a little Surf on the net and came across this Rib. It is 4.8 m long (other lengths available) and comes with all the stuff you see in the pic

Can someone enlighten me - I see them a lot these days... whats with the half a seat, giant's step thing on the back of toobs these days... what is it meant to do... and ... why would I want it and the anchor roller teaked?

Tags
rib