RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
Ok getting a bit closer to a posible final,selection. Maybe between an XS500 and Ribcraft 4.8. Viewed the XS today, good size maybe a bit basic but was not surprised tbh, appreciate that's their pedigree, any useful comments on these two ?

And should I only buy after a sea trial,as I haven't helmed a boat in 10 years and never a RIB so it's gonna feel a bit weird on a 20 min spin so would I learn anything ?
Thanks in advance...

If your talking about new, then take into account the dealer support your likely to receive after you've received the boat. It can make a big difference.

I can't speak first hand for Ribcraft, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it's quite good. Having bought an XS new, I have experienced their after sales support and although I'm sure there are many that will praise them my experience is sadly not good.

Bear in mind that all XS warranty claims are back to their workshop, which means if the boat is two hundred and fifty miles away without a trailer then effectively there is no warranty.

You mentioned Brig earlier in the thread, for the type of use you suggest that your going for they could well be worth a look. You would also have a dealer on your doorstep when your in Salcombe and possibly a much easier rib to sell in the future.

That said, if rough water ability is more important than looks, then you won't go wrong with either the Ribcraft or the XS.

All the above is obviously just my opinion and no doubt many will disagree.
Old 16 October 2020, 23:03   #42

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Are you buying new or used?
If used then I wouldnt consider buying without a sea trail you need to know the boat runs & performs as it should at all speeds, a quick run on a hose tells you nothing.
Be careful of the xs if it has any age to it, the earlier glued polyurethane tubes could degrade from uv & seams can fail, newer versions have welded tubes which are better & some come with hypalon tubes but most are polyurethane
Not much to choose between the two boats imho, our sailing club had both, the extra length of the xs was noticable
Old 17 October 2020, 19:31   #43

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Great point, used should mandate a test, I think as there is almost no used stock arround I think buying New is more likely at the moment..hence why I'm a bit more focussed on minimising depreciation by buying a quality RIB, just in case things change ..
Old 17 October 2020, 20:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
Great point, used should mandate a test, I think as there is almost no used stock arround I think buying New is more likely at the moment..hence why I'm a bit more focussed on minimising depreciation by buying a quality RIB, just in case things change ..
In that case I'd say spec the boat in hypalon, not saying polyurethane is inferior but I think its a bit marmite & if you might sell in a short time you'll probably find buyers prefer hypalon. Not an issue as I'm sure xs offer hypalon for the same price as pu
Old 17 October 2020, 21:58   #45

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Not an issue as I'm sure xs offer hypalon for the same price as pu
Why would anyone spec PU then?
Old 17 October 2020, 22:29   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Why would anyone spec PU then?
Because pu is superior in some ways, it is more abrasion resistant and the welded seams are claimed to be better than hypalon glued seams.
Things may have changed but last time I dealt with them the cost was the same, although they do push the pu tubes.
Their retube pricelist still lists the costs as the same so presumably the boats cost the same
Old 17 October 2020, 22:58   #47
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Things may have changed but last time I dealt with them the cost was the same, although they do push the pu tubes.
Their retube pricelist still lists the costs as the same so presumably the boats cost the same
The price is the same. I went for pu tubes, partly because Laurence was convincing in his sales pitch, but mostly because I had the chance to have a good look at an old XS with pu tubes that had been used as a commercial rib ride. The tubes on that were still in really good shape.

Fourteen months on I still think I made the right decision. Will I feel the same when I come to sell, who knows.
Old 19 October 2020, 06:36   #48

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
The price is the same. I went for pu tubes, partly because Laurence was convincing in his sales pitch, but mostly because I had the chance to have a good look at an old XS with pu tubes that had been used as a commercial rib ride. The tubes on that were still in really good shape.

Fourteen months on I still think I made the right decision. Will I feel the same when I come to sell, who knows.
In my view the only part of Hypalon that is correct is the word Hype.

The other materials that ribs are now made of are just as good and in many cases better. When I also discussed this with Laurence at a recent boat show it was as if he was fed up trying to dispell the Hype that still exists around Hypalon. Some people find it very hard to accept that things move on
Old 19 October 2020, 07:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
In my view the only part of Hypalon that is correct is the word Hype.

The other materials that ribs are now made of are just as good and in many cases better. When I also discussed this with Laurence at a recent boat show it was as if he was fed up trying to dispell the Hype that still exists around Hypalon. Some people find it very hard to accept that things move on
Whilst I'm not disputing that pu is catching up with hypalon the fact is many pu & pvc boats fail at a far younger age than equivalent hypalon boats. And whilst the manufacturers claim recent improvements not many folk want to be the test pilot given it can be 10 years plus before a problem rears its head.
Heres an example of what can happen to an old pu boat
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4201692499045/
Hence the reason folk favour hypalon
Old 19 October 2020, 12:47   #50

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
My 5M XS is fourteen years old had a hard life and the tubes are still like new
Old 20 October 2020, 08:27   #51
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Heres an example of what can happen to an old pu boat
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4201692499045/
Hence the reason folk favour hypalon

I looked at that ad when it was live and saw no mention of the tubes being pu so I guess you know a little more about it.

That aside I'm not sure that it's a very fair example to use. Even a hypalon rib is going to suffer if it is as old as that looked, and as neglected and abused as it seems to be.
Old 20 October 2020, 11:09   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
I looked at that ad when it was live and saw no mention of the tubes being pu so I guess you know a little more about it.

That aside I'm not sure that it's a very fair example to use. Even a hypalon rib is going to suffer if it is as old as that looked, and as neglected and abused as it seems to be.
That picture shows a typical pu tube failure & yes hypalon can fail too, the difference being hypalon is a lot easier to repair & doesnt tend to fail along seams like pu, our sailing club owned a pu boat that failed & required retube at 7 years old although it did look in better condition than the similar age hypalon boats. my point wasnt that one material is better than the other but that in the main most folk would chose hypalon over pu if all else was equal.
Old 20 October 2020, 15:34   #53

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
My 5M XS is fourteen years old had a hard life and the tubes are still like new
But are they PU or hypalon ???
Old 20 October 2020, 16:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
But are they PU or hypalon ???
PU .... very much doubt Hypalon would look as good at that age! yeah they 'had' manufacturing issues early doors but now resolved and yeah its also more difficult to repair, but lot tougher and more resilient to UV than Hypalon

Mine never looses any air, no patches, no fading
Old 20 October 2020, 16:49   #55

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Quote:
PU .... very much doubt Hypalon would look as good at that age! yeah they 'had' manufacturing issues early doors but now resolved and yeah its also more difficult to repair, but lot tougher and more resilient to UV than Hypalon

Sorry to go off on a tangent .... But why is PU more difficult to repair ?
Old 20 October 2020, 17:02   #56

Quote:

Hate to spoil your day but your boat is pre the time they had problems. Our sailing club boat that had problems was a 2010 boat. They came through and retubed the boat but if you think they were past the failure stage when your 2006 boat was made I'm afraid your mistaken.
And here lies the problem, how do you know when the issues are sorted? Its not something you want to find out 10 or even 15 years down the road.
But my main point is the biggest majority of buyers will prefer hypalon hence my advice to the op that if he thinks he may sell in a few years time then the hypalon boat is the one to go for
Old 20 October 2020, 17:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecast View Post
Sorry to go off on a tangent .... But why is PU more difficult to repair ?
You use the same glue but totally rely on chemically cleaning & not abrading the material to get a key, patches don't appear to be stuck & its more difficult to get a good bond. The material tends to fail along seams or go porous over large areas due to uv damage making finding & repairing leaks harder.
Old 20 October 2020, 18:46   #58

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
An interesting article on the pro's and con's of each.

https://www.powerboatandrib.com/2018...-of-rib-tubes/
Old 20 October 2020, 19:07   #59

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
An interesting article on the pro's and con's of each.

https://www.powerboatandrib.com/2018...-of-rib-tubes/

That’s an interesting read - thanks
Old 21 October 2020, 11:15   #60

Quote:
Hate to spoil your day but your boat is pre the time they had problems. Our sailing club boat that had problems was a 2010 boat. They came through and retubed the boat but if you think they were past the failure stage when your 2006 boat was made I'm afraid your mistaken.
And here lies the problem, how do you know when the issues are sorted? Its not something you want to find out 10 or even 15 years down the road.
But my main point is the biggest majority of buyers will prefer hypalon hence my advice to the op that if he thinks he may sell in a few years time then the hypalon boat is the one to go for
That's ok haven't spoilt my day mate .... facts are my own personal experience of PU tubes has been very good, the tubes are about the only thing that haven't been replaced and still look like new