Old 04 November 2020, 18:37   #81

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
I am a huge fan of secondhand, both cars and boats, and came into this not intending to buy new.

But there is so little out there and I only want to buy @3/4 years old max.

Tbh one benefit of new is that i actually don't want it until Spring next year, so a wait would suit me fine re build time and financing payments.

Something will surely turn up in the next 5 months or so [emoji848]
I’ve had a Ribcraft 4.8 and it came with a 50hp, way underpowered IMHO.
It soon got changed for more ponies [emoji41]
Old 04 November 2020, 19:25   #82
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
There's a video of a XS500 having it's tubes fitted on the 'RIBs Only' Facebook page. Just been added.
Old 05 November 2020, 18:53   #83

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Have a mate in the south Hams who has a 4.8m Ribcraft for sale with a 70hp Yam on the back

It’s on the Ribcraft owners group FB page
Old 05 November 2020, 20:54   #84

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
I am a huge fan of secondhand, both cars and boats, and came into this not intending to buy new.
But there is so little out there and I only want to buy @3/4 years old max as I don't want any hassle from repairs/dodgy kit, life's too short...

Tbh one benefit of new is that i actually don't want it until Spring next year, so a wait would suit me fine re build time and financing payments.
The market is indeed strange just now, and winter boating isn't for everyone. Fine if you have no restrictions work-wise. Today was beautiful, but the days are short.

Back to your dilemma. If it was a regular market, then boats would be available just now or into the spring. With the lock-down, then it's tatties over the side as we say.

I wouldn't be put off by a older boat if its been well maintained, but I understand you simply want to rock up and go. Even if you can find an older boat (5-10 years), then the engine may be a concern. The market for used mid-power engines has probably increased, so you can literally part it out, re-rig it and surprisingly still get a decent price for an older 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine.

Like you say - life is too short. Get that deposit down now and get your order in!
Old 08 February 2021, 20:29   #85

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
In case anyone is interested, after much deliberating I decided that I just didn’t want to look at the back end of a trailer out my lounge window 12 months of the year, so we have plumped for a Honwave 3.8 with Honda 20hp. New 2021 model coming next month.
I really would like a steering wheel but decided the storage problem was a bigger issue so let’s see how I get on with tiller steering. Plan is use for a couple of years then can trade up to a 5m+ RIB (when we move) and won’t lose too much at this price point.
And I have to say my view of dealers is still pretty bad...I could so easily have been persuaded by a good, positive, responsive dealer but they all make you feel you’re doing them a favour looking to spend 20k+ with them..
Honwave here we go
Old 08 February 2021, 20:48   #86

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
In case anyone is interested, after much deliberating I decided that I just didn’t want to look at the back end of a trailer out my lounge window 12 months of the year, so we have plumped for a Honwave 3.8 with Honda 20hp. New 2021 model coming next month.

I really would like a steering wheel but decided the storage problem was a bigger issue so let’s see how I get on with tiller steering. Plan is use for a couple of years then can trade up to a 5m+ RIB (when we move) and won’t lose too much at this price point.

And I have to say my view of dealers is still pretty bad...I could so easily have been persuaded by a good, positive, responsive dealer but they all make you feel you’re doing them a favour looking to spend 20k+ with them..

Honwave here we go

You’re not spending £20k+ on a SIB are you??
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2021, 21:49   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You’re not spending £20k+ on a SIB are you??
No That was the budget I was looking at when I started this post for a 5-5.5m Rib with trailer and basic electronics. Honwave is understandably way cheaper and much more wife friendly.
I was actually just reading your post re fitting a chart plotter to a SIB but I think it’s a bit above my skill set...
Old 09 February 2021, 07:03   #88

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
No That was the budget I was looking at when I started this post for a 5-5.5m Rib with trailer and basic electronics...

Phew![emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 20:00   #89

Quick update folks.
Had the T38 out quite a number of times now, down the Medway and into Poole harbour launching at Baiters predominantly. All good, I think for the money it’s a great package but do miss a steering wheel!
Hasn’t really been fast enough to get her fully up on the plane as MrsH starts to shout/ bounce before getting enough momentum. I have a week in Poole followed by a week in Salcombe end July so I’ll get a bit of solo time to give her the full beans with some, hopefully, calm conditions.
I’ve made @ nice mahogany second seat with grab handles and £6 brackets from Amazon.
Only bad point is the Honwave wheels. Dealer fitted the brackets too high so then supplied us with smaller wheels but the overall engineering is poor and moving from down to up and vice versa is a right old palaver in the water.
But generally loving being on the water again and already looking at 6m RIB prices (how can they be so high for a bit of fibreglass and UPVC ? J