Old 10 October 2020, 18:37   #21

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
I would welcome any views from you experienced RIBbers on best choices.
Many thanks in advance,
If you are Salcombe regulars like us then you know it's also the Ranieri capital of the UK and there's also a Boston Whaler main dealer and plenty of those in the harbour. My reasoning for considering these as RIB alternatives is that they take the same outboards, there's more deck area for the same footprint and no tubes or glue to worry about. Both are extremely capable at sea, a BW hull is completely filled with foam and cannot sink. Both will never need a retube. They don't look stupid with a bimini

Although we still have our RIB we are not keeping it, the similar size Ranieri gives my timid wife much more confidence and it suits our needs better while not being too expensive to fuel and license or difficult to manoeuvre and store when on the trailer. A happy wife means more time on the water.

We've come a long way from our Sibbing days. Lost a lot of money on that because we purchased brand new. Whatever you decide, if you buy nearly new if you find you made a mistake or see something better it won't cost too much to change, only some inconvenience.
Old 10 October 2020, 23:35   #22

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
If you are Salcombe regulars like us then you know it's also the Ranieri capital of the UK and there's also a Boston Whaler main dealer and plenty of those in the harbour. My reasoning for considering these as RIB alternatives is that they take the same outboards, there's more deck area for the same footprint and no tubes or glue to worry about. Both are extremely capable at sea, a BW hull is completely filled with foam and cannot sink. Both will never need a retube. They don't look stupid with a bimini

Although we still have our RIB we are not keeping it, the similar size Ranieri gives my timid wife much more confidence
Very intrigued by the additional confidence in an open hard boaT vs a rib, could you expand? How do they handle rough water? Are they a dry ride in chop? Is it the visual aspect? Poor experience with a Rib Sib?
Old 11 October 2020, 01:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Very intrigued by the additional confidence in an open hard boaT vs a rib, could you expand? How do they handle rough water? Are they a dry ride in chop? Is it the visual aspect? Poor experience with a Rib Sib?
Poor experience manhandling heavy SIB but good experience with a RIB and we will miss her.

I haven't been out solo yet to test the new boat nor been out on the open sea, we only just took delivery. From what I have found so far it's a very different ride and is more stable, more planted. More like the big RIB we did our PB2 in yet it's not much longer than our present RIB. It's got a lot more beam and a lot more weight, we are a lot higher above the water and it's got a deeper V than we had before. More horsepower yet slower, previous owner fitted a Doel fin which is also a new experience, I don't really notice when it comes onto the plane which is kinda weird. I think the engine's too low so much to work out.

Our RIB has a wider tube diameter than most which no doubt contributes to stability, but they intrude into the deck area making it hard to move front to aft because of the jockey seat which gives it good balance and handling. I'm sure a bigger RIB would give us the space and solve that. We found when we were heavily laden with four people and gear the rear sponsons were over half submerged which created a massive amount of drag/wake at sub planing speeds to the chagrin of moored boaters and fishermen, also leading to poor fuel economy. Again a bigger RIB would fix this, however I'd probably have to switch to a braked trailer and pay for storage away from home due to the extra length.

The Ranieri has a bench seat across the stern where I was able to lay flat out and two people can do the same on the front decking and sunbathe or use it as a diving platform. Underneath I think there's enough space to stow the Airhead towable we've got and there's still an abundance of storage for other gear which would normally be placed in dry bags and clipped on somewhere. MrsL is always worried about the dog getting too hot, a bimini means it can have shade from the sun and we can keep dry maybe if there's a shower.

It just works for us so much better. I don't have a picture of ours on the water yet but below is one I snapped when kayaking two weeks ago. It must go quite well with the 150 on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranieri19s.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	135375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranieri19.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	135376  
Old 11 October 2020, 08:43   #24

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I can't comment on Ranieri, but have driven a number of the small/medium Boston Whalers in both inland and coastal locations. Definitely more useable deck space than an equivalent sized RIB, typically more relaxed-style leisure oriented seating for spending time at anchor, and stable platforms at rest. I've always found them a very wet and bumpy ride though in anything other than calm conditions.
Old 11 October 2020, 09:53   #25

Guess I should have asked what your rib was and where you use it? The heavier hard boat is on an unbraked trailer? For 4 adults Rib must have been a 5/5.5m minimum? Wonder how it compares to an 18ft fletcher or Picton sports boat?

Where I am sunbathing really isn’t a functional element of boating but a rain cover would be most welcome.
Old 11 October 2020, 19:18   #26

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Great feedback but I think I remain in for the RIB experience. For us, and a bit weird I grant you, my wife never felt totally safe in our Regal sports boat, esp after a very rough trip back to Salcombe from Hope Cove, which was scary I don't mind admitting. We then got a jetski and she felt totally safe on the back with me, so easy to spin on a sixpence and avoid any big rollers.. I'm hoping the rib will be similar vs a big heavy chunk of fibreglass.

One q - how important is it to sea trial one as I would imagine it's perfectly likely they're won't be one available of my particular ~5m boat ?
Old 11 October 2020, 21:08   #27

Forgive me but the smallest current ranieri is 380kg + a 70? HP motor 155kg And a 16 gallon fuel tank..... 45kg of fuel gives you a small amount of capacity for all the usual gear (Anchor, ropes, towable etc)

Most 750kg unbraked trailers have a Roughly 625kg capacity

https://www.rib.net/forum/f49/dockin...tml#post821706 Trailer looks quite low I would run it over a weigh bridge But looks a good size boat for the weight Which is why I am surprised, I have been looking for a rib (Typically a lighter hull) and can’t get one (Legally) on an unbraked trailer At that sort of size......
Old 11 October 2020, 21:30   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
One question - what do folks think of BRIG ribs, as Wolfrock have a good selection with, (drum roll) pricing ! ?
They seem to sell plenty so can't be all bad!

That said, I wouldn't trust any online review of Brig as they had a very concerted effort at astroturfing the forum when they were emerging here. As boats built on style, to a budget they will keep many people plenty happy. I'm not sure how they hold up long term or if they keep their value as well as some of the more "rugged" styles - but as a poor man's Ribeye - probably fulfills a need.

PS the reason they have pricing there is because pricing is one of their selling points. Always be wary of anything that markets itself as "cheap".
Old 11 October 2020, 22:46   #29

Quote:
Forgive me but the smallest current ranieri is 380kg + a 70? HP motor 155kg And a 16 gallon fuel tank..... 45kg of fuel gives you a small amount of capacity for all the usual gear (Anchor, ropes, towable etc)

Most 750kg unbraked trailers have a Roughly 625kg capacity

https://www.rib.net/forum/f49/dockin...tml#post821706 Trailer looks quite low I would run it over a weigh bridge But looks a good size boat for the weight Which is why I am surprised, I have been looking for a rib (Typically a lighter hull) and can’t get one (Legally) on an unbraked trailer At that sort of size......
It's a Ranieri 15 which are only made to order nowadays, it's 4.6m long vs our 4.2m RIB and about the same amount wider.

You are correct it's looking low, the suspension is shot and AlKo no longer make the axle so Peak Dynamics are making me a bespoke one for £237 delivered, using 70mm galvanized box normally used on their 1000kg axles so the suspension is uprated. The suspension arms are currently 0deg horizontal where they should be 22.5deg.. Potholes are not very kind to the boat.

I will definitely get it weighed at some point, the plate says 400kg max with 120kg max engine weight. I think a Ranieri 17 could also go on an unbraked trailer.

P.s. there's a clean Ranieri with only 168 hours on the engine and brand new trailer on eBay and a deal to be had for about £11.5K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BramberAlKoTrailerAxle.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	135380  
Old 11 October 2020, 22:53   #30

Duplicate post
Old 12 October 2020, 17:48   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Duplicate post
I had looked at this one https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7792702250905/

Which is a 15 with 50hp and sits on a brakes trailer that certainly doesn’t look oversized for the boat.

Boat purchase on hold for the moment due to lockdown but hopefully not for too long.
Old 12 October 2020, 18:26   #32

Quote:
I had looked at this one [url]https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1247792702250905/[/uto]
Owned by a guy named Jamie, it's the same one on eBay and the same model as mine. I nearly went to view but same day purchased mine (on Gumtree) which cost £8.5K, two years older and similar low hours. This one has the latest graphics and a 2019 engine and trailer though. They don't come up very often, even rarer in this condition.

Reddish Marine salesman (Mike?) is selling his personal Revolution 15/50hp next spring, he's expecting at least £10K. They have a used boat section on their website.
Old 12 October 2020, 18:40   #33

Not sure if he owns it looks like a trader to me £8500 sounds good £12k is proper money
Old 14 October 2020, 05:31   #34

Town: Chelmsford
I have Sibs, Ribs and also Sports boats (Mainly Bow Riders).

There is much spoken about how much better a Rib is than a Sports boat and I must say I am not convinced.

After Limecc Posts on here (Previous thread) about the Ranieri I think they are very good boats and may be a better option them a rib.

The main thing over a sports boat is that you are sitting higher up just like in/on a rib.

They do however seem hard to come by
Old 14 October 2020, 08:06   #35

Quote:
Not sure if he owns it looks like a trader to me £8500 sounds good £12k is proper money
Selling another one https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1147147956862/

Certainly makes yours look well priced
Old 14 October 2020, 10:19   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I think they are very good boats and may be a better option them a rib.

The main thing over a sports boat is that you are sitting higher up just like in/on a rib.
I'm conscious that this thread's been hijacked and is off topic so I'm not going to post again so just a few points to close.

Apparently the hulls have a 'high pressure' design often used on racing hulls I wonder if there are any Ribs that employ the same stepped hull?

"Ranieri is renowned for using hull steps even on very small craft, so it is well worth having a closer look at this part of the boat" - link to review: https://uk.boats.com/reviews/ranieri...italian-drama/

@Hdav, thanks for the other link. You are spot-on about him being a dealer, undoubtably they hold their value well. Keep one nice and you don't have to deduct the price of a retube as it gets older.

Honda seem to have a partnership going with them, there's another dealer in Lymington. There's a split second clip of one taking a wave here:
https://www.honda.co.uk/marine/exper...s/ranieri.html

It would be nice to meet up with some guys on here sometime next year and maybe go for a bit of a jolly and compare. Great to have good company and the backup.

@Spydermatt, I'm not suprised you had a bad experience with the Regal. I wouldn't touch bowrider type craft with a barge pole, especially if the thing has an inboard engine.

Interesting reading about Beerbelly's transition from Valiant to Humber. Seems we are all seeking the ideal boat, at least according to our circumstance (which may change).
Old 14 October 2020, 17:08   #37

Town: Chelmsford
The ideal boat don't exist (but I think the Ranieri comes close) that is why I have several from a canoe to well larger

And I am not rich I just managed to buy then at good prices.
Old 16 October 2020, 19:13   #38

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Ok getting a bit closer to a posible final,selection. Maybe between an XS500 and Ribcraft 4.8. Viewed the XS today, good size maybe a bit basic but was not surprised tbh, appreciate that's their pedigree, any useful comments on these two ?

And should I only buy after a sea trial,as I haven't helmed a boat in 10 years and never a RIB so it's gonna feel a bit weird on a 20 min spin so would I learn anything ?
Thanks in advance...
Old 16 October 2020, 19:24   #39

Quote:
Ok getting a bit closer to a posible final,selection. Maybe between an XS500 and Ribcraft 4.8. Viewed the XS today, good size maybe a bit basic but was not surprised tbh, appreciate that's their pedigree, any useful comments on these two ?

And should I only buy after a sea trial,as I haven't helmed a boat in 10 years and never a RIB so it's gonna feel a bit weird on a 20 min spin so would I learn anything ?
Thanks in advance...
Even if you had a trial you'd need it to be back-to-back and in challenging conditions to compare performance. Otherwise it comes down to what you like the look of best.

If it were me after taking advice on here it would come down to what deal I could get on which.
Old 16 October 2020, 20:31   #40

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
We have an XS500 with a Mariner 60 on the back, in its fourth season now. Been very pleased with it thus far.

Build quality wise I would say both are comparable...robust and workmanlike in finish.

The Ribcraft has a slightly deeper V hull so will give a softer ride in lumpy conditions, and is widely acknowledged to be one of the best riding 4.8m ribs out there.

Having said that, the XS is still very capable, and perhaps only slightly more ‘slammy’ in similar conditions. We use ours on the North East coast around the Farnes, rarely feel compromised, but accept we cannot push on in big seas and keep up with the 6m+ boys.