Old 08 August 2020, 18:08   #1

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Buying advice please

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so hope you folks can help me..
I have had a regal sports boat and jet skis in the past, but sold as life chugs on.
Now the kids are grown up ish my wife and I had 2 weeks in Sandbanks and Salcombe last month and I realise how much I miss being on the water. Mrs H is actually as keen as I am, agreeing that a RIB makes a lot of sense while we are still young enough to do it, hence I am trying to determine what to aim for...
I don't want to go too big, or spend too much, but at the same time don't want to go too small then after a few weeks wish I'd gone a bit bigger/more power.
We will be using her for holidays inSalcome, up the estuary, maybe a bit of sea work down to Hope Cove etc, as well as Sandbanks and coastal to Studland bay etc. but nothing too daring...
It needs to be easy to trail and launch - so I'm guessing about 5 m works? -and should be able to be fun i.e. Decent speed on the plane, with 4 adults onboard.
I would welcome any views from you experienced RIBbers on best choices.
Many thanks in advance,
Old 08 August 2020, 19:38   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so hope you folks can help me..
I have had a regal sports boat and jet skis in the past, but sold as life chugs on.
Now the kids are grown up ish my wife and I had 2 weeks in Sandbanks and Salcombe last month and I realise how much I miss being on the water. Mrs H is actually as keen as I am, agreeing that a RIB makes a lot of sense while we are still young enough to do it, hence I am trying to determine what to aim for...
I don't want to go too big, or spend too much, but at the same time don't want to go too small then after a few weeks wish I'd gone a bit bigger/more power.
We will be using her for holidays inSalcome, up the estuary, maybe a bit of sea work down to Hope Cove etc, as well as Sandbanks and coastal to Studland bay etc. but nothing too daring...
It needs to be easy to trail and launch - so I'm guessing about 5 m works? -and should be able to be fun i.e. Decent speed on the plane, with 4 adults onboard.
I would welcome any views from you experienced RIBbers on best choices.
Many thanks in advance,
Wellcome to the forum ,many on here out of sports boat and into ribs ,you will be far braver in a rib and the wife will be much keaner for adventure ,as will feel safer ,four in 5 metres is going to be snug to say the least ,i reckon 5.85 or 6m will suit you well ,four jockeys maybe and a suicide seat at the front for he/she who feels the need ,
most important thing is budget ,you will need late £30,s for new in this catorgary , Ribcraft /xs is the way to go but then i started with Highfield and athough hated on here by some there is alot of family boating at fair money
Old 08 August 2020, 20:28   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
First you need to set a budget, then plan on breaking it. Do you want new or used? Obviously there is more bang for the buck used.

I can tell you my now wife did not like sitting on the tubes, but she was happy inside the tubes on a seat. We have put 6 onboard a 4.2m SIB with only a few wet splashes in large standing waves. Okay so my friend got drenched and wasn't too happy LOL. 4 scuba divers was never an issue with all sitting on the tubes, gear on the floor. The conditions you plan to boat in play a huge part in type of boat you need. Open ocean and rough conditions means a bigger rib. Carefully picking the days you venture out further, means you can go smaller and lighter. The trailer setup has more to do with recovery ease than the boat.

Having spent a lot of time on an Avon SR5.4 with twins I can say it was a smooth riding boat for it's size, and incredibly capable!

One thing I would recommend is a 4 stroke motor for it's quietness and ability to idle along without loading up. Makes those slow wildlife watching estuary adventures more enjoyable.
Old 09 August 2020, 11:30   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum SpyderMatt.

Set your budget. You'll know having owned boats before that you get what you pay for.

4 people on a sub 5m Rib is going to be tight. If you look at Ribeye A550 with side by side jockeys then a 2016 boat and Yamaha F100 retail for £33-35k. If that's enough to make your eyes water then you can opt for something more utilitarian.

Also consider what you're towing with, storage including will it be dry-stacked, etc.

Ribcraft and Ribquest are respected brands, deep V hull, various seating options and finish.
Old 11 August 2020, 20:43   #5

Thanks for the replies, v helpful. I am fine to buy fairly recent second hand as you tend to find you get all the electronics and VAT for free, but not much about at the moment, although I'm happy to wait till winter so hopefully more stock will be around then.
New pricing is hard to find out so I've emailed a few manufacturers to give me indicative pricing and see where that goes...
Cheers
Old 12 August 2020, 08:25   #6

Town: Putney
Length: no boat
Should we shy away from tubes older than x years? If so, what is x?
Old 12 August 2020, 09:51   #7

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrisPhillips View Post
It depends how it's been kept, a newish boat kept outside or an older boat kept in a garage.

You need to see the boat and take a view. (In my view only buy a hypolon boat).
Old 12 August 2020, 19:13   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrisPhillips View Post
As Ribtecer said, condition and how it's been looked after is everything. If the hull, transom, trailer and electronics tick all the boxes, allow £1k per metre, plus travel plus accessories, handholds, wear patches, etc for a retube. Transforms the boat, no question.
Old 12 August 2020, 21:21   #9

Town: Cardiff
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, v helpful. I am fine to buy fairly recent second hand as you tend to find you get all the electronics and VAT for free, but not much about at the moment, although I'm happy to wait till winter so hopefully more stock will be around then.
New pricing is hard to find out so I've emailed a few manufacturers to give me indicative pricing and see where that goes...
Cheers
Covid has pushed prices up most yards and brokers are poor at updating listings and dealers aren’t keen on handing out price lists let alone manufacturers......

Set a requirement and a budget and go from here also check towing capacity of car if towing or berthing/dry stack costs depending on locations etc.......
Old 22 August 2020, 19:25   #10

Aside from wonderful eBay what's the best sites for s/h ribs?
Old 22 August 2020, 20:11   #11

Gumtree, Marketplace, apolloduck, boats and outboards
Old 22 August 2020, 22:18   #12

Should ad lots of scam listings never pay for an item you haven’t seen and verified both the item and the seller
Old 08 October 2020, 19:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Covid has pushed prices up most yards and brokers are poor at updating listings and dealers aren’t keen on handing out price lists let alone manufacturers......
You're not joking. I have never known such sh** service...I have mailed 5 manufactures to provide £ guidance. One was brilliant couldnt help enough, the others no contact whatsoever, shocking
Old 08 October 2020, 19:58   #14

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
You're not joking. I have never known such sh** service...I have mailed 5 manufactures to provide £ guidance. One was brilliant couldnt help enough, the others no contact whatsoever, shocking
Thanks for the update my money is on xs as the most business like ???
Old 08 October 2020, 22:31   #15

Quote:
Par for the course I’m afraid...... word is pretty much all boat builders have full order books and supply cannot keep up with demand....
Old 09 October 2020, 01:09   #16

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Its not "sh** service" as such. That would be if you had paid for a service which you then didn't receive (or which was poor). Your problem is that they all have full order books and so are not interested in your business atm. It frustrating but I found a similar situation buying new 5 years ago.

FWIW I also found that phone calls are often a better route than emails. [emoji846]
Old 09 October 2020, 13:26   #17

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i am dealing with xs ribs at the moment getting some trinkets added and can say communication with James millet to be excellent not only while there working on my rib but during initial enquires too .
Old 09 October 2020, 14:31   #18

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
i am dealing with xs ribs at the moment getting some trinkets added and can say communication with James millet to be excellent not only while there working on my rib but during initial enquires too .

+ 1 for James at XS can not fault his quick responses to my daft questions.
Old 10 October 2020, 08:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Thanks for the update my money is on xs as the most business like ???
No naming and shaming from me, as said perhaps phone calls are the only way to go....

One question - what do folks think of BRIG ribs, as Wolfrock have a good selection with, (drum roll) pricing ! ?
Old 10 October 2020, 09:09   #20

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Ooooh I love a provocative post

I think they are a marmite rib brand - people tend to love or hate them. There a few threads to search on here.

As others have said, define your needs / budget, shortlist, then get some demos on the water before committing.

There will always be some compromise

If you intend keeping her in Salcombe there is something to be said for good local dealer support

Good luck in whatever your choice.

LT