Old 24 June 2020, 21:56   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It’s a slippery slope Donny, by the time you are 75 you’ll be buying a cabin rib! (You might need to sell the house to fund it).
Old 25 June 2020, 07:13   #22

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi again HH ..Im afraid I will cancel Sat as the boat is now bought and I have a lot to do over the next few days with stripping down the Gurnard , disposing of parts I cant recycle ..and getting my trailer ready for a long trip south to pick the boat up. However I do appreciate you offer..thanks.

As to the name of the new boat ... Im afraid I don’t have much imagination for such things .. but as the few hairs left on my neck are now old and grey ..it will possibly be called “Grey Gurnard” but that may change once I can get an after lockdown haircut ?

Thanks again Jeff..yup..I think pop rivets might be the way to go..to supplement a solid sikaflex bond.

Hi Poly.. yup..I may last longer than my own self defined sell by date ..but I see no future for an old git like me in an all electric world.. a world where ancient hippies sneek down to sheds at the bottom of their garden to sit sniffing petrol fumes. I will be happy enough to fade out along with the IC engine ..we kind of grew up together.

Once I get the boat ..I will no doubt make videos of the build in the same manner as this one which is my latest update on the F-Rib 275 which I also own. It shows the kind of things I make..including small launch trolley .. Mounting the OB .. in hull transducer housing ..bow cover etc.

Thanks again folks
Best regards
Grey Gurnard
Old 25 June 2020, 08:25   #23

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
What day you heading down will keep an eye out for u coming up the m6
Old 25 June 2020, 11:34   #24

Its always a sobering thought as to how easy it is to slice up a SIB. A Stanley knife goes through them like knife in hot butter ..yet I trust my life with these fragile air bags. Of course it is relative as I realise a Stanley knife would take the life out of me just as easily.

The serial No on the plate shows she was made in 2004 although bought by a friend in 2005 .. so the glue was actually 16 years old ..and would have lasted another year if pottering in quiet waters.. but that is not my style.

Despite years of hard use ..she only had two punctures. One where a floor board rubbed through a corner into the tube, and the other where a carelessly stored anchor rubbed through a tube. No holes in the floor whatsoever despite a million rocky landings.

I sometimes give reasons to those who say “why have a Sib on a trailer when you can have a Rib.”

Among my own various reasons i have been known to say..”its easy to dispose of a Sib at the end of the day..cut up a fibre glass hull and you will possibly never want another”. I have done both a few times so speak from some experience.

However I have never tried an Ali hull boat..so its going to be a new experience and Im looking forward to it.

Old 25 June 2020, 12:53   #25

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
sad to see the old girl in that state Donny
Old 25 June 2020, 13:03   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post

Tis too.
There’s an outfit on FB selling stowage bags & holdalls made from recycled tubes. Maybe a (dignified) way for the old girl to retire.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 13:13   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Tis too.
There’s an outfit on FB selling stowage bags & holdalls made from recycled tubes. Maybe a (dignified) way for the old girl to retire.
thats a good idea saddle bags for kit
Old 25 June 2020, 13:34   #28

Yup..its always sad when a cherished possession has had its day.

I recall the day I disposed of my seago slat floor ..it was 16year when it died.. and it gave me many years of pure pleasure. I wrote about it on Ribnet too..longer lasting members may recall that day ?

But all was not lost as its vital organs still go to sea in my F Rib to this day. The seago slats made the floorboards .. the safety rope fasteners sikaflexed to the floor to hold things down ..I still sit on its seat which my late father also sat on in his Avon tender . Some of its PVC is also glued to the Frib .. so all is not lost.

The Gurnards organs will go to good use too ..

Already the stringers from the Quicksilver are being donated to a guy who has a Quicksilver but no stringers ..I plan making a bow cover for the new Quicksilver.. from the black PVC bottom .. some of its fitting will also be used to attach things to the boat. The gurnard bench seat will be transferred to the new boat so I can still sit in my old grove ..etc. etc

If Im honest.. I suspect its why my ex left me many years ago.. she started to worry I was going to recycle her ..and she knew how partial I am to mince and tatties.

The saddest part for me now is.. I have suddenly realised that after 30 years of inflatable boat ownership ..and owning a max number of three at once ... I now have none ... I have only two small Ribs.. God forbid the next newbie who asks about trailers for his SIB .. cos you know what I will say ..

However deep inside I will always know why a SIB on a trailer makes perfect sense to some.

A wee video to remember TWO great boats ..as the PS Waverley is struggling too

Old 28 June 2020, 09:22   #29

Some old SIB’s never die ..they only metamorph

The "Gurnard’s" vital parts will go to sea again ..in a new form. For me, she had a proven and very workable layout.

The centre console was designed with a specific purpose in mind. To keep my camera equipment dry in even the wettest weather and to always have it close at hand to capture the spur of the moment happening. So the console ..which I made from exterior grade ply and painted in external household gloss paint, seven years go, will be fitted to the new boat. Its lasted well despite not being made from marine grade materials. I hate paying extra for "marine" when house stuff suits me just as well

It has had a fresh coat of paint which reflect the new boat’s colour scheme. (Its the Grey quicksilver 420 Ali hull which I have ordered). I will supplement the drab colour with a touch of red so it is a bit more visible at sea. Two of the “Gurnards” handles have found a new home on the sides of the console

It also houses the fishfinder, the battery, has a drawer for bits and bobs, radio holder, compass and also gives me something for me to hang onto when bouncing about in the briney.

I sat on garden kneeling pads attached to the bench seats in the “Gurnard”. Seven years later they are still like new apart from a bit of colour fade. So now they are wrapped in a part of recycled PVC tube.

The finished seat pad will look smart on a black bench seat ..and I think I will keep the Gurnard,s bench..just so I feel perfectly at home in the new boat on its maiden voyage

I have also been busy cutting and cleaning other parts for donor transplant into the new boats body. I have enough red PVC from the tubes ..(and its inside is in perfect condition) ..which will make a lovely red PVC bow dodger

As for the new boat ? ..I got an email last thing on Friday to say it had arrived. I just need to get it 400 miles to Scotland so I can start fitting it out. I have asked for transport quotes..or may drive myself and collect it .mood dependant next week.

Best Regards
Grey Gurnard
Old 28 June 2020, 09:58   #30

Nice one Donny. You have the makings of a cracking boat there.
Looking forward to a blast in it
Old 28 June 2020, 10:55   #31
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post

Nah, he wants to get that on eBay...

I suggest: “ex RNLI Zapcat, need some repair to port tube, but easy fix - £1200 Ono” for the description!
Old 28 June 2020, 11:27   #32

I know you say it in jest Poly ..but I watch gumtree regularly and often see boats in terrible condition or things like rowboats with sheds built on their back ..and advertised ...

“ Grab a bargain ..perfect first boat .. great for family fun and ideal for fishing”.

I read that as

“Get ripped off ..buy your last boat ..and if you are lucky the RNLI will fish you and the kids out the brink.. ”

Sadly many years ago, a very good friend of my late father..lost his son because he bought such a boat.

Its just my way .. but I would rather destroy a boat that I will no longer go to sea in ..than sell it as “A project” and perhaps have someone loose a life because they don’t know any better.
Old 28 June 2020, 14:51   #33
RIBnet admin team

It was indeed in homage to those gumtree and YouTube adds I posted my comment.

I know there is no way you’d try to sell it like that. I wouldn’t be amazed if you managed though. Every year a new wreck arrives in the boatyard where I keep mine - someone works fervently on it for weeks or months and then they are never seen again. sometimes the boat goes other times it’s sits for another year before the yard owner disposes of it (he’d agree with your sentiments about fibreglass - at least with Ali he’d cover his costs with the scrap value). I never considered that when the boat disappeared maybe the owner had too - literally rather than just flogging it to its next financial victim.

I was a bit surprised you didn’t sell the old Gurnard on, but I can imagine the guilt if you read on the next a month later about someone’s kids drowning after the back fell off.
Old 28 June 2020, 19:55   #34

RIBase
By the time you add all the bits up to be recycled plus post if bought new about the same as you get for it without the hassle or the what if it fails to be honest I thought it was in better fetlle at face value shows you have to keep an eye on condition still 16 years old wonder how much a year at 2004 prices
Old 28 June 2020, 20:35   #35

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Not much knowing Donny he sqweeks when he walks [emoji23][emoji23]
Old 28 June 2020, 20:45   #36

Yup..HH..I have it down to the last penny ..see below

Hi Jeff ,,to answer that question... in July 2013, I was selling a wee hardshell boat for £1300. A guy I knew through work said he would swap me for his 2005 Quicksilver 430HD, a low hour 2005 Mariner 25HP two stroke, a trailer, a set of HD Trem transom wheels, and a heavy PVC cover.

The trailer lasted until two years ago as did the cover. I gave the transom wheels away. So for 7 years of boating it cost approx £200 per year. The outboard is still going strong so you could in theory deduct approx. £800 from that if I sold the OB..but Im keeping it... Its why I chose a new short shaft boat of similar size.

That boat travelled the west coast of Scotland including Jura, Mull, Colonsay, Eigg, Rum, Canna, Muck and Skye. Only one left that I wanted to do was Islay..but tides and weather never materialised.

I don’t think there will be many inflatable boats done those kind of journeys and at a cost of £200 per year..so it was a very good value for money boat for me.

I was a bit surprised to see the transom joints starting to separate as I checked it before storing for winter. It was only the transom joints that were failing..the rest was in very good condition as it was welded tubes..not glued. There was always a doubt after the floor wore into the tube and punctured it around three years ago..as that was the first sign of wear. Bouncing around Garroch head last summer..the seat broke with my weight..again just wear and constant bouncing cause it.

I guess I was also looking for an excuse to get rid of her and try something new. An old inflatable that is very heavy .. (with no trailer or outboard as Im keeping them both) and a transom needing reglued would not get much even if I was that way inclined , I wanted the PVC and other bits.. so it owes me nothing.

The new boat will be very similar..same kind of layout etc..so hopefully I wont notice having a hard hull again..apart from better fuel consumption as I was happy with the cruising speed of the old boat.

I can confirm the new boats name will be “Grey Gurnard”. I have left the Guinness alone this weekend so I have a steady hand for the sign writing and logo. I print the letters from the computer..cut them out and then pencil round them on the name board..before filling the outline with paint. I have completed the GRAY and the logo..just the word GURNARD to go …

As soon as I get it … it will have its maiden trip and I can fit it out once I get round to it ..no rush for that..I want to do some islands again soonest.
Old 28 June 2020, 22:11   #37

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Donuts goodbye to the Gurnard and hello to the Grey Gurnard!

Looks like a good purchase. Looking forward to seeing more of your trips Donny. Stay safe [emoji1303]
Old 29 June 2020, 11:31   #38

Town: hamilton
Make: Elling
Short shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi shinyshoe.. I just had a quick look..but those boats have long shaft transoms..and if I had a long shaft or the money to buy a new outboard ..there is not a question in my mind that it would have been the Excel Virago 420 and kept it tiller steer ..look at its V hull compared to these boats. A friend has one and they are great boats.. but boat plus outboard is too much for my pension pot at present

But I specifically wanted a short shaft and 4.2 meter boat as I have a good 2006 Mariner 2 stroke 25HP ..and it keeps my costs to 3k ..which is my budget for this year. That limited my choice. I may upgrade and get a new Yamaha 30HP with P&T for the Quicksilver in a couple of years though
Hi Donny great to see you have splashed out on a new Boat.
Will it take a short shaft as I have two short shaft engines my self
Regards Nacnud
Old 29 June 2020, 11:55   #39

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Looking forward to this new boat adventure more than most Donny. As has been hinted at before most who have bought or claimed to have bought this hull type disappear into a black hole feedback wise as if they've signed a non-disclosure.

Going to be great to hear a true report from a fellow forum member... certainly folks with them I've chatted to at the pontoon seem very keen.

Re the old SIB I reckon you'll have enough tube material left for a stunning going out jacket!
Old 29 June 2020, 12:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacnud View Post
Hi Donny great to see you have splashed out on a new Boat.
Will it take a short shaft as I have two short shaft engines my self
Regards Nacnud

Hi nacnud ..the Quicksilver 420 Ali Hull has a short shaft transom .. which is why I purchased it.

Unfortunately the Excel Virago (shown in the photo you quoted) ..which in my opinion has the best hull for chop in the lightweight Ali hull small ribs that I researched.A friend has one and he also agrees its a great boat.. unfortunately it is a Long Shaft ..which put it beyond my reach. ..as I would then need the boat..a new outboard..and if going that much..a consule as well. Im too stingy to spend that amount on a boat.

The quicksilver at 3K suited my wallet..and when it arrives..will give an honest report ... backed up with video clips ..for anyone else considering such a boat.

Hope that clarifies things