RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Something I ment to ask Mr GG, what's a "transducer"?

It’s the working end of the sonar/depth finder/fish finder equipment. Essentially when told to do so by the display unit it sends one or more pulses of ultrasound into the water and “listens” for the response (echo from hard stuff) which it then sends back to the display unit - which works out how to display it in a manner the user might understand. To work properly the transducer either needs to be immersed in water, or in good acoustic contact with something else which is in contact with the water - any tiny air gap will cause it to fail - for the same reason pregnant women have KY jelly rubbed on their belly when getting an ultrasound.
Old 03 October 2020, 10:26   #122

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Thanks Poly, everyday's a school day
Old 03 October 2020, 10:27   #123

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Good fun indeed Jeff, can't bend enough now to even sit in a kayak!
Another place we really enjoyed was under the bridge at Ballachulish on a springtide, now that's a place I think I would try a SIB.
52 years ago i started boating with kayaks slalom and river running same thing the old back let me down still i enjoy the sibing just as much
Old 03 October 2020, 10:37   #124

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup..Poly has covered the transducer’s duty pretty well.

Only thing I can add ... is its not only pregnant wummin that get KY jellied bellies. I get it on a regular basis too .... to sound out my damaged baby..the liver. Im delighted to say that only last week I got the all clear ... so I can still take the medicine that keeps my old age aches and pains to a minimum ..and allows me to lead the life style I enjoy .. sitting at campfires contemplating why life is so hard.

Photo is a snap shot of my last multiday adventure’s video for this year. Coming soon to my video channel.. so do stay tuned... it was a fantastic couple of days where I never saw a single face mask. It was like living in pre covid times again

Jeff..give us a shout next time you are up and we can social distance around another boating adventure next year
Old 03 October 2020, 10:45   #125

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yup..Poly has covered the transducer’s duty pretty well.

Only thing I can add ... is its not only pregnant wummin that get KY jellied bellies. I get it on a regular basis too .... to sound out my damaged baby..the liver. Im delighted to say that only last week I got the all clear ... so I can still take the medicine that keeps my old age aches and pains to a minimum ..and allows me to lead the life style I enjoy .. sitting at campfires contemplating why life is so hard.

Photo is a snap shot of my last multiday adventure’s video for this year. Coming soon to my video channel.. so do stay tuned... it was a fantastic couple of days where I never saw a single face mask. It was like living in pre covid times again

Jeff..give us a shout next time you are up and we can social distance around another boating adventure next year

will do for sure Donny ive got one eye done just waiting for the other hope before christmas can't believe how clear my vision is. ive missed the boating this year in a big way still made the changes ready for the next adventure
Old 03 October 2020, 11:12   #126

Hey..good news on the eye front Jeff.

As you know I had both mine done a while back ..just glad I only have two eyeballs and not three. My vision is perfect too.. well.. most of the time... except when I have too much pain relieving medicine.

On my last adventure I went where we half planned to go this year Jeff ..except the weather put paid to it back then. This time it was over 20 degrees and big blue sky .. the midges had gone too.. Loch Buie was paradise

Until this big bastard flew down and stole my sassages when it though I wasn't looking .. still ..it was an adventure worth going hungry for ..

Till next year .....
Old 03 October 2020, 13:39   #127
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Only thing I can add ... is its not only pregnant wummin that get KY jellied bellies. I get it on a regular basis too ....
I wondered where you were going with that for a moment!

Quote:
Im delighted to say that only last week I got the all clear ...:
Old 03 October 2020, 15:20   #128

RIBase
Looking forward to next season too mate good news on your liver keep safe
Old 20 May 2022, 08:42   #129

Now the proud owner of a new Yamaha 25HP four stroke EFI outboard I was left with the problem of filling in the holes that I had drilled in the Aluminium transom which bolted the old Mariner 25HP two stroke on. Unfortunately portable outboards don’t follow a standard template so the holes cant be re-used.

The transom is hollow so filling the holes to stop water entering the void is a must. After a lot of head scratching ... the solution I have come up with is plastic push fit rivets from car accessory shops. They fit perfectly and with a bit of silicon sealant seal the holes perfectly.

I thought it worth posting in case any other inflatable Alu hull owners wonder how to fill in old drill holes.

Of course if you know of any better ways..Im certainly willing to listen and try it out ..as it had me stumped for a few days.
Old 20 May 2022, 09:43   #130

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Sounds like a neat solution Donny. You must be looking forward to getting it run-in to see how it performs.
Old 20 May 2022, 10:23   #131

Thanks Steve ... and yup Im looking forward to some great adventures with this outboard. It should use around 40% less fuel that the old two stroke and it has the benefit of electric start. Not that I mind yanking a pull start but I wanted it for the battery charging circuit. Im means I can go indefinite periods at sea without worrying about charging up the cameras and the I Pad I take on the multi days camping trips.

I have yet to get it at sea as I have only just got it and .. Im busy wiring up the fixed VHF and USB ports ..fitting the bilge pump etc but as its wet and windy weather it keeps me busy ..then I will be off round the inner Hebrides again.

I have had it going in a big bucket and the difference between the old two stroke and this one is night and day so far. I quick prod of the start button and its running ..no choke and blue two stroke fumes to faff about with .. but the hard to believe bit is.. its silent ..I only know its running cos the tell tale is pumping water .

Its not much heavier than the old two stroke either so I can easily haul it into shallow drive or lift it for landing.
Old 20 May 2022, 15:52   #132

RIBase
Very nice Donny, good solution to the holes.
Old 20 May 2022, 16:49   #133

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Always like a bit of lateral thinking to resolve a problem [emoji106]. Nice one Donny
Old 20 May 2022, 18:01   #134

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Enjoy your lovely shiny new engine Donny, the silence of a 20+hp modern 4-stroke at/around idle is indeed uncanny.
Old 20 May 2022, 18:31   #135

The superior MPG could keep him away from the pub for longer! The Lord giveth. And He takes away.
Old 20 May 2022, 19:05   #136

Thanks Jeff ... I used your wiring diagram on the Excel build thread to wire up my top drawer so thanks for including it.

The Icom MC330 radio is a lovely compact size but just as powerful as its larger brothers.

When I built the console 10 years ago ..it was made around a plastic basin in the base as I always dreamed of having a large 12v battery on board. The plastic basin will keep it dry even if water sloshes around in the boat'

The console was made of normal B & Q ply and painted with house exterior paints 10 years ago and it will last another 10+ years despite being well used in a marine environment. So there is no need for expensive ply and paint for home made boat bits ... unless of course you want to use it.

Hi Neil .. hope you have the Mariner under control again ..and lets hope thast pesky rain goes back to Spain again.

Hi Fenlander .. yup..the dealer when he demonstrated it warned me to be sure its not running if Im going to repress the started button. Its that quiet ..some folks try starting it again not knowing it is running and the starter motor can jam in the flywheel .. if I try. Never had that issue with the old two strokes.

Hi TmMorris ..with my mileage ..and what I got for the old Mariner .. I think the Yam will be paid for in 4 years of use .. however I will need to learn to service it ..but Im looking forward to that too..its all part of boating for me.

Incidentally ..although it took most the winter waiting to get the outboard .. my dealer was the perfect gent. He kept me informed every step of the way .. Im quite sure I could still be waiting if it was not for him pushing Yamaha to deliver. He also gave me an excellent price .. so its very worth mentioning I got it from David Anderson Marine . He is also a name many forum folks will know as he goes by the name of “Davie” on this forum. So a big thanks from me and also to Craig for recommending him.
Old 21 May 2022, 21:15   #137

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Glad you finally got your engine look forward to seeing your review on its performance
As for your comments about your console lasting another ten years maybe but will you 🫣take care and enjoy [emoji106]
Old 21 May 2022, 21:52   #138

RIBase
Glad the excel build helped Donny you’ve got a sweet set up there mate, just done a major service on mine the service manual was a god send to be fair. I’ve had a few four strokes now all nearly silent both yam and Suzuki you’ll feel like a millionaire with the fuel saving.
Old 23 May 2022, 19:24   #139

Thanks HH if it all ends tomorrow as Im now 67 this year.. I have done many things many others only dream about ... so I wont take any more care than I always do.

Hi Jeff ....it was your EFI fourstroke..and of course Gordons..that made me realise just noisy smell and inefficient these old 25HP two strokes really are.

Finally the rain and strong winds abated enough to allow me to get the first 45 miles under the new Yamaha 25hp EFI fourstroke’s belt.

Everything is now permanently wired including fixed VHF, Bilge pump, Voltmeter, and USB ports. The main outboard has full side to side lock and doesn’t get restricted by the Aux outboard. The tiller handle is six inches longer than the old Mariner’s tiller so I had to move seat and console forward to accommodate it.

First hour was hard going on me ..not the boat .. various displacement speeds in the rain and a cold NW wind.

Second hour a bit easier on me .. on and off the plane ..but no cruising speed stuff

Third hour perfect for me..cruising at 20mph which is around half throttle

I did a half hearted speed test for around a minute and easily reached 25mph at around three quarter throttle but didn’t want to push it further until I get a few more miles in. However the Old Mariner two strokes top speed was 25mph with a good run .. so this new outboard is faster. A friend down south who has the same boat and outboard told me his reaches 30mph. I didn’t really believe that when told..but I do now.

Cruising at 20mph .. I used to tell passengers in my boat that I wasn’t being rude not talking to them .. but I could not hear a thing because of the loud high pitch whine of the old two stroke. At 20mph with the new outboard.. I even heard my mobile phone ring and could easily hear the VHF. I never turned my handheld VHF on when I used the old Mariner as I could not hear it. It is much quieter than the two stroke when cruising

I am delighted with the new OB so far. Only slight niggle with the new outboard is the lever to lift or drop the outboard is in an awkward position to get at when the outboard is raised. Something that the YouTube reviews highlighted . My finding on noise and performance seem to tie in with the YouTube reviews too so Im not alone in my findings.

Therefore I am absolutely delighted getting rid of the old Mariner and replacing it with the lightest weight 25HP fourstroke on the market at present . The Yamaha F25G EFI fourstroke
Old 23 May 2022, 19:32   #140

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Looking good Donny [emoji108]