Old 15 July 2021, 11:14   #1

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Magnetic transducer mount

Since I'll probably be waiting a while for my SIB, I'm now putting my mind to accessories.

It is very important to me to have a good, reliable transducer mount - one that holds it's position firmly, and also allows the transducer to be removed at the end of the day, since rolling it up inside the boat is probably not a great idea. I also want to have an easy way of using different transducer/sonars on any given day since, aside from fishing, my work can involve collecting and processing sonar data.

The best looking option I have found online is this magetic setup: https://www.fishfindermounts.com/pro...ucer-mount-kit

I can find reference to the company on this forum, but only for the strap on tube mounts. This magnetic option seems perfect: slim-line with no obvious snagging points when the transducer is not attached, and could easily buy separate mounting brackets for different transducers to use as required. Has anyone tried one? Keen to hear how they go in the real world, and what the service from this Canadian company is like. If no one was tried one, I think I'll probably take the plunge and give it a go, since they seem otherwise well reviewed. Their head unit mounting options look interesting as well, but I think I'll probably end up making something to go around the seat, and already have a tupperware battery box etc that I use in the kayak.
Old 16 July 2021, 13:40   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Never seen those, doubt they would hold on a boat that travels at a reasonable speed.

Depending on what the transom is made from you could use a sliding mount bracket and slide the transducer completely out of the two piece bracket. I ordered two of these https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fis...mm/137923381/p for my current boat a few weeks ago but they haven't arrived yet. I run three transducers, possibly another soon.
Old 16 July 2021, 13:52   #3

Don't know, Jon - magnets can be very strong! Plus I'll only be running a 6hp, so "speed" is a relative term here. I like the idea of them because the transducer can be popped off completely, and the boat rolled up with no snagging.

I must say thought that the ones you posted look quite good. If the sliding part complete with transducer can be completely removed fairly easily, that could work as well - and much cheaper than shipping the magetic jobby in from Canada. I'll take a closer look.
Old 17 July 2021, 07:38   #4

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Magnets only work on steel and iron.

Don't want either of those near a boat I own.
Old 17 July 2021, 08:24   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I reckon you are overthinking this. A simple strip of timber with a single hole in the transom and attached by an eye bolt and eye nut would suffice. A slot or multiple holes in the timber would allow for different transducer depths if needed. The eye nut and bolt can be done up tight enough without tools and the mount removed in moments.

Here is my very crude version which I was going to re-make in hardwood to a nicer standard but in the end I stopped using a depth reading going just for mapping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transducer mount.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	138142  
Old 17 July 2021, 08:45   #6

You're probably right, Fenlander. The mount that jonp posted looks like a slightlier fancier verison of what you have there, although I think I would prefer to have something permanently mounted to the transom, so that any attaching and undoing is to this mount rather than going through the transom. How do you have the nut set up for the eye bolt? A hole right through the transom? If so, how have you sealed it? By the look of it, the system jonp posted (which is quite reasonably priced) is something like a vertical track system - I might even be able to rustle up something similar using bits of track I have around for my kayak mounts.
Old 17 July 2021, 09:03   #7

I just have the hole a little oversize and use a cotton bud with something like marine varnish or paint on to give a couple of coats on the wood inside the drilling. A more elegant solution is to go a bit more oversize and epoxy/sikaflex in a sleeve.

All my sibs have had holes in the transom for this or that, none sleeved, and even up to ones 20-40yrs old I’ve never see rot originating from these drilling’s.
Old 17 July 2021, 09:13   #8

Thanks Fenlander, food for thought!
Old 17 July 2021, 09:20   #9

Just consider it the doable cheapy backstop option if nothing else.
Old 17 July 2021, 09:27   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Lowran...iABEgKyifD_BwE

You can buy g clamp ones too