Old 15 July 2021, 08:16   #1

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
Eastney Slipway - Langstone Harbour

Has anyone used the Eastney Slipway into the run at Langstone Harbour recently?

I haven’t used it for a few years, but hoping to launch the SIB on the trailer there tomorrow morning.

Just looking for any updated local knowledge, and if the slipway is clearish of shingle.

Thanks
Old 15 July 2021, 10:39   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
You are talking about the public slip next to the Eastney Cruising Association one on the Portsmouth/Southsea side of the channel?

last time I was down there a few weeks ago it was very well covered in Shingle, all the way up to the high tide mark, but of course that can change overnight.
I seem to remember the track and car park were also in a terrible state with deep ruts and holes, but that may have been from before.

If you've used it before you obviously realise that there are no facilities there at all, and on a quiet day with little traffic coming and going it's not somewhere I'd leave my car and trailer for too long.

If it was me I'd be launching from the other side of the channel at the Ferry Boat Inn on Hayling Island, but of course you do have to pay for parking and launching.

Nasher.
Old 15 July 2021, 15:37   #3

Cheers Nasher,

That’s exactly the info I was after. I will be coming down the A3, so it’s no time difference to either side.

I think on your information, I will go to the ferry boat side and launch there. I’ve launched there before as well, so hopefully it isn’t too busy tomorrow.
Old 16 July 2021, 05:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
You are talking about the public slip next to the Eastney Cruising Association one on the Portsmouth/Southsea side of the channel?

last time I was down there a few weeks ago it was very well covered in Shingle, all the way up to the high tide mark, but of course that can change overnight.
I seem to remember the track and car park were also in a terrible state with deep ruts and holes, but that may have been from before.

If you've used it before you obviously realise that there are no facilities there at all, and on a quiet day with little traffic coming and going it's not somewhere I'd leave my car and trailer for too long.

If it was me I'd be launching from the other side of the channel at the Ferry Boat Inn on Hayling Island, but of course you do have to pay for parking and launching.

Nasher.
Where do you recommend to park on the ferry boat side? Do you have any idea on the parking costs?

Thanks
Old 16 July 2021, 10:58   #5

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundercatRob View Post
Where do you recommend to park on the ferry boat side? Do you have any idea on the parking costs?

Thanks
Big, council run gravel car park on the left hand side just before the slip, 50ish meters away, trailers can be left on the grass verge. It has parking meters, from memory its about £7-8 per day but don't hold me to it.

Andy
Old 17 July 2021, 20:26   #6

Thanks for the all the info.

We went from the Ferry Boat slipway. All was fine, however I found it very expensive. Bearing in mind I’m launching a 4.2m SIB. The costs were:

Launching Fees - £15 - Langstone Harbour
Trailer Parking - £15 (All day, regardless of 1 hr or all day)
Car Parking - £5.80 ( paid for a few hours, 4/5 I think)

So that’s £36 to launch and park up for 4/5 hours. It’s the trailer parking that’s excessive I think. Some people (mainly jet skiers) seem to dump their trailers at the top of the beach, or in little verges.

It’s was fairly quiet when we launched, with just a jet skier in front of me. But we we recovered at about 3 o’clock, it was rammed with jet skiers trying to launch. I expect it would be carnage over a busy sunny weekend!

We had a good day though. Went over to the IoW for a bit of lunch and a burn about.
Old 18 July 2021, 19:19   #7

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
That does seem a lot!
Have you tried Selsey East Beach? We often go from there, and I was out from there today in a mate's SIB (no trailer - I don't know if trailers attract an extra parking fee). £1.70 parking all day, no launch fees. The ramp probably takes a bit of getting used to (wooden, long, steep at the end), but plenty of people launch boats bigger than yours there (mostly with 4x4s it has to be said). Depending on where you are coming from, its probably only an extra 20 minutes or so drive.
Old 19 July 2021, 00:05   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundercatRob View Post
Thanks for the all the info.

We went from the Ferry Boat slipway. All was fine, however I found it very expensive. Bearing in mind I’m launching a 4.2m SIB. The costs were:

Launching Fees - £15 - Langstone Harbour
Trailer Parking - £15 (All day, regardless of 1 hr or all day)
Car Parking - £5.80 ( paid for a few hours, 4/5 I think)

So that’s £36 to launch and park up for 4/5 hours. It’s the trailer parking that’s excessive I think. Some people (mainly jet skiers) seem to dump their trailers at the top of the beach, or in little verges.

It’s was fairly quiet when we launched, with just a jet skier in front of me. But we we recovered at about 3 o’clock, it was rammed with jet skiers trying to launch. I expect it would be carnage over a busy sunny weekend!

We had a good day though. Went over to the IoW for a bit of lunch and a burn about.

Only launched there once but pretty sure we only paid parking