Old 23 September 2021, 19:08   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Dyneema winch rope

Just looking for a bit of the expertise on the above subject
Been thinking about trying one of those cheapie imported winches with Dyneema rope for a while ,so mounted up for trial (couple of criteria were not to do away with hand wind, and had to be removed before leaving trailer unnatended ) so couple of pictures

But main question is after using a couple of times is the dyneema seems to have gone flat and almost looks like its been hot (but it hasnt ) ...........Is this normal please ? winch is 2 ton supplied with the dyneema and pullig (via a free running ally pulley ) 5.3 @700kg ish up 40 degree slipway
Old 23 September 2021, 19:41   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
I'm trying something similar. Winch with a 1.4T capacity and 5mm Synthetic Rope (not dyneema). The rope looks very flat when it's spooled on the winch drum. I've used it 2 or 3 times now and it works great via the remote.

I've thought about changing to Dyneema and splicing in a smaller hook. Possibly a winter project!

Old 23 September 2021, 20:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
I'm trying something similar. Winch with a 1.4T capacity and 5mm Synthetic Rope (not dyneema). The rope looks very flat when it's spooled on the winch drum. I've used it 2 or 3 times now and it works great via the remote.

I've thought about changing to Dyneema and splicing in a smaller hook. Possibly a winter project!

That looks similar to my set up but cant get my picture up at present ,i have mounted my winch flat on the main thru part of drawbar but this does mean i am running against the top of the fairlead all the time but i thought this would be ok as pretty normal at offroad events ,however i may revisit this fact ,and try and get the mouth of the fairlead pointing more up at the pulley
Thankyou
Old 23 September 2021, 20:21   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
But main question is after using a couple of times is the dyneema seems to have gone flat and almost looks like its been hot (but it hasnt ) ...........Is this normal please ?
Yes, it's normal. It can even set with a square section and it will fall out again in use.
Old 24 September 2021, 19:07   #5

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I’ve had Dyeema on a hand winch for years and it does go flat, i usually unwind it each year to take pressure off and never leave tension on the winch.
Old 24 September 2021, 20:30   #6

Thanks guys ,looks like your suggesting my worries are un founded ,just a simple little thing but am now reassured its not going to fail at anytime soon
not sure how long the dyneema has beeen about ,but certainly allows alot of strength in a small diameter and without energy storage i am guessing
winch i chose was a 4500lb ,2 ton ish but to be honest i think its min to do the job up 40 degree slipway and towed my nautica up today which is poss nearer a ton ,wouldnt buy any less rating ,however i think my battery is heathy but need to check out to be sure thanks for help
Old 25 September 2021, 14:44   #7

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Your boat may WEIGH a ton but you are putting no where near that on the winch. Even on a steep slip I’d be surprised if a winch sees more that a couple of hundred kilos force on it.
Old 25 September 2021, 15:50   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Your boat may WEIGH a ton but you are putting no where near that on the winch. Even on a steep slip I’d be surprised if a winch sees more that a couple of hundred kilos force on it.
That doesn't always work as other factors come into play, depending on type & condition of trailer you could be putting way more than 1t on the line once friction comes into play.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 25 September 2021, 17:54   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
you could be putting way more than 1t on the line once friction comes into play.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
on a 1 ton boat?
Old 25 September 2021, 18:47   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
on a 1 ton boat?

Theoretically quite easy tbh. Depending on the setup of the rear rollers & depth of water, you could quite easily put 2-3 times the weight of the boat onto the winch. It’s all about the angles & leverage.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 18:56   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Theoretically quite easy tbh. Depending on the setup of the rear rollers & depth of water, you could quite easily put 2-3 times the weight of the boat onto the winch. It’s all about the angles & leverage.
But surely that would indicate a poorly set up trailer?
Old 25 September 2021, 19:33   #12

RIBase
Quote:

Not really, think shallow slip, shallow water, you winch the boat upto the rear rollers/bunk, take the weight, the bow comes up to the rear rollers & lifts, the stern lowers as the bow comes up onto the rollers. You’re now not pulling straight, so the winch is now trying to pull the boat to its tipping point, until it gets there, it’s quite feasible that the load on the rope is more than the weight of the boat. It’s a simple Moments about a Point problem.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 25 September 2021, 22:57   #13

Quote:
I can assure that my trailer is not poorly set up ,it has 28 as new rollers on ally wing brackets ,across 2 swing beams ,what i would say is the slip i am using is steep and water behind is very deep and sheltered between steel piling .
when calculating which winch to buy i read somewhere you should allow 2% for every degree of slope when you are dragging a free rolling load ,hence i allowed the boat at 1 ton max and 30 degrees of slope x 2% giving an additional calculated load of 600kg therefore max 1600 kg
As i always try to load and unload at max top of tyrewall depth (4" of water) which i have been happily doing for many years with a manual 1.5 ton 2 speed fulton winch ,i thought 2 ton would leave a little margin
well as i have said all is good ,but whether there is much left in reserve i am not convinced ! i think i may fit an ammeter so i can see where i am running within the capacity spec in their current to load tables
Old 26 September 2021, 09:34   #14

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It is perfectly possible to have winch loads greater than the displacement of a boat. It is just the fulcrum effect and in certain circumstances, getting a boat on to a trailer will mean the winch is at the 'wrong' end of the fulcrum hence the loads will go up to more than the displacement of the boat.

In _Monkey's photo, the turning block will see twice the load that is on the winch or the winch line which you may wish to bear in mind.
Old 29 September 2021, 22:01   #15

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
What's the benefit of Dyeema rope over a webbing strap?
surely a nylon rope is more likely to catch / burn your hand than a flat strap if you need to handle / guide it?
Old 30 September 2021, 11:19   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
What's the benefit of Dyeema rope over a webbing strap?

surely a nylon rope is more likely to catch / burn your hand than a flat strap if you need to handle / guide it?

Short answer, strength. I’ve had various straps break over the years, one of which nearly ended in serious injury. Been using a 12mm Dyneema for 5 years now, no sign of wear or damage.
Old 30 September 2021, 11:56   #17

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Short answer, strength. I’ve had various straps break over the years, one of which nearly ended in serious injury. Been using a 12mm Dyneema for 5 years now, no sign of wear or damage.
Also with webbing it can go on folded which is an irritation.
I was considering getting some stainless rope and I'd never heard of Dyneema but this looks like a much better option. Just need to know the diameter for a 1t winch.

I'm using a second winch to draw boat and trailer up a dropped kerb more than I'm using it recovering on a slipway or beach to the car.

Edit: 6mm looks suitable, breaking at 2t, massive variations in price from various sellers.
Old 30 September 2021, 12:12   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Also with webbing it can go on folded which is an irritation.
I was considering getting some stainless rope and I'd never heard of Dyneema but this looks like a much better option. Just need to know the diameter for a 1t winch.

I'm using a second winch to draw boat and trailer up a dropped kerb more than I'm using it recovering on a slipway or beach to the car.

I’d just go for the 12mm which is rated to 7t iirc. Waay over specced, but the price difference is minimal & it’s easier to handle & lays better on the winch.
Old 30 September 2021, 12:15   #19

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
I’d just go for the 12mm which is rated to 7t iirc. Waay over specced, but the price difference is minimal & it’s easier to handle & lays better on the winch.
But larger dia might limit the length what i can get on and I'd like 15m. Need to check.

Regretting misbuying and not getting a two-speed winch.
Old 30 September 2021, 16:14   #20

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
I bought 6mm it just cut through the layers a bugger to undo, new winch has strap I’ll stick with that now until it’s knackered