Old 05 April 2021, 14:13   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Welding gearboxes never usually lasts if it works at all, unless you can strip & rebuild the box yourself then it's not a good option as the cost v likely success ratio is poor.
The 60 & 70 are the same box the 75 & 80 85 & 90 are the same case but different spline on shaft
There was a 50 based on the downrated 60/70 however they are few & far between most 50s you see are the 40/50 version which is a different box altogether.
Old 05 April 2021, 14:59   #22

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
You need a box from a 3 cylinder 60 or a 70 nothing else fits straight on. The 50G what Ken mentioned on post 21 is the same crank spline as it uses the 850cc crank. Your issue with a 50G gearbox is its a smaller propshaft which uses a g series propeller.
Old 06 April 2021, 08:28   #23

Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke
Thank you all for such a detailed response and help. It really is a massive boost.
So following all your advice my plan is to do a temp repair using a jubilee around the whole area, ive drilled the end of the crack and going to do temp repair with epoxy. When I tighten the jubilee there is no movement in the crack so im hopeful the repair might hold, even if i can get a few more months to get saving and find a suitable replacement gearbox that would be fine. will keep updated but thanks again
Old 06 April 2021, 14:55   #24

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.low View Post
Thank you all for such a detailed response and help. It really is a massive boost.
So following all your advice my plan is to do a temp repair using a jubilee around the whole area, ive drilled the end of the crack and going to do temp repair with epoxy. When I tighten the jubilee there is no movement in the crack so im hopeful the repair might hold, even if i can get a few more months to get saving and find a suitable replacement gearbox that would be fine. will keep updated but thanks again
Well done and I think that should work and you might be surprised how long it will hold up.

Many people want to mend/replace what they have so that it is like Triggers Broom but to me if you can effect a repair using simple things so much the better. Let us know how you get on

Tags
yamaha