Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2022, 12:39   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Most expensive 3 minutes of pleasure in my life

Finally got the opertunity to take the Voaire and my Suzuki 20hp for their first voyage since buying them new (which seems a very very long time ago)

Headed to Loch Awe with teenage son and dog for a couple of nights wild camp and to run in the outboard.
Being complete newbies we thought a non tidal loch,along with seeing some amazing videos of donnys here this would be best.
We also wanted to gain a bit of experience before hitting costal waters that can be quite unforgiving on the east coast.

Althouh a 8hr round trip in a well overloaded car and roof box it was really worth it to see the amazing scenery, with the added benefit of spending quality time with my son.

All was set......the car with outboard, the excel, camping equipment and all the works..off we went.

Found a nice little spot to set up a temp camp on the shore and set up the boat for its first trip the next morning to a more secluded camping spot.

Morning was dry with heavy rain and wind forecast later so put dog in the car and loaded up the boat with everything except dog and tent which we would come back for on a second trip after making sure our chosen spot was suitable.

Had to row out a distance, only to have to return for the OB kill chord which we left in car for safety!!!!

That drama over and red face dying down from the round of applause we got from some onlookers..... went to 2000 rpm after a few minutes,then pushed up towards the 2500 rpm.

Unfortunately that's where the fun ended, and to be honest a bit of panick set in!

Engine warning light came on, and dropped the ob into a limp mode.

Not sure if we should just try to row back or chance we did no serious damage to to the engine, we did the later and make it back to shore.

Scared to try out again in case we damaged the outboard, we gave up on the boat and just did a bit of hiking and camping instead, and came home a bit early before the worst of the weather struck.

So my obvious question is...

What else could be wrong with the outboard?

Engine oil fine.
No noticible blockages at the intake.

Couple of things to add is

We had to transport the OB as if sitting on the transom at its highest setting as didn't have space to lay on its side.

While running OB in the barrel to do last minute check everything was ok, we still had a feeling the water was on the warmer side than I would have expected...(although having no experience of outboards this was probably nothing.)

But how hot would you expect a barrel of water to be after a 10 minute idle?

Anything else I could check that could cause a new ob to overheat or this light to stay on? or is there anything we might have done wrong to cause this?

So anyway that was it! Ł3500 plus all the other stuff for a few minutes fun

Cheers..... Brian
Old 18 April 2022, 12:51   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Is the engine run in?
Was the warning light flashing? If so did you take note of the sequence of flashes? They will tell you why it’s in limp mode. Do you know anyone with the diagnostic software? Fault codes will be stored in the ECU. If you’re anywhere near South Yorks. I can plug it in for you.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 13:01   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Weed or bag on the intake dropped off when you stoped the engine?
Old 18 April 2022, 13:52   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Unless I've missed it... Did you actually see a good strong pee stream when out on the water and how was the pee stream in the test bucket?

Jeff is straight on a really good possibility but you should have noticed the pee stream had stopped.

And as PD says... get it on a diagnostic to see what has been recorded.
Old 18 April 2022, 13:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Is the engine run in?
Was the warning light flashing? If so did you take note of the sequence of flashes? They will tell you why it’s in limp mode. Do you know anyone with the diagnostic software? Fault codes will be stored in the ECU. If you’re anywhere near South Yorks. I can plug it in for you.
Happened so quickly and still at work just now, but: Light stayed steady on we think....(but now wishing we hadn't panicked and had taken a video to be sure)

Up in Aberdeen if you fancy a trip PD to show me how to handle our setups properly and no I don't know anyone with software to check the faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Weed or bag on the intake dropped off when you stoped the engine?
I did tilt the ob up a bit to check if it was clear before heading back, but again I can't be 100% sure to be honest jeff.
Old 18 April 2022, 14:03   #6

RIBase
Most expensive 3 minutes of pleasure in my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Happened so quickly and still at work just now, but: Light stayed steady on we think....(but now wishing we hadn't panicked and had taken a video to be sure)

Up in Aberdeen if you fancy a trip PD to show me how to handle our setups properly [emoji4]and no I don't know anyone with software to check the faults.

I did tilt the ob up a bit to check if it was clear before heading back, but again I can't be 100% sure to be honest jeff.

Did it definitely go into “limp mode”?
It could be the oil change reminder.
Aberdeen is a bit off my patch these days.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 18 April 2022, 14:05   #7

Fenlander I have never really thought it was that great a flow from new while just running in a barrel compared to others I've seen on YouTube etc, but there was certainly water coming. But I don't really have any first hand knowledge to compare.

I was just running it in its first 1hr 45 minutes under
3000rpm when it happened....maybe 10 minutes into the run after being ticking over for a few minutes in gear but no revs.
Old 18 April 2022, 14:09   #8

Town: Wyboston, Bedford
As others have said, possibly a blocked inlet.

Sorry if stating the obvious, but I presume the leg was lowered into the water? If it's an electric tilt engine, I was forever accidentally knocking the tilt button on my last boat and unaware that I had raised the leg and didn't know the leg was out of the water until the alarm went off. That was on a cabin cruiser though so less likely on a RIB/SIB.
Old 18 April 2022, 14:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
As others have said, possibly a blocked inlet.

Sorry if stating the obvious, but I presume the leg was lowered into the water? If it's an electric tilt engine, I was forever accidentally knocking the tilt button on my last boat and unaware that I had raised the leg and didn't know the leg was out of the water until the alarm went off. That was on a cabin cruiser though so less likely on a RIB/SIB.
Its ok obvious is good......always the best place to start... but no its a manual and was full down at the time.
Old 18 April 2022, 14:36   #10

Although I've had the set up for a year now, we hadn't used it apart from in a barrel when I got it, again to empty any trace of fuel out of it for the winter, then once again before going on the trip to the loch last week. So probably about an hour total.
It ticked away fine on the water up to about 2500rpm then when stepped it up to nearer 3000rpm the power died and was about 2000rpm I think.

But now I'm questioning myself that it was a solid light, and even if the power did stay in limp mode at all!

I wish now we had took more time to suss out what was going on and that we had tried again instead of being fearful of causing damage to the engine.
That day we never saw 1 boat on the loch but on the Saturday they were everywhere and I'm sure someone would have advised us a bit more.
I'm not really keen having our first try out at open sea, especially not knowing if there is an issue or not, and there isn't really any sheltered waters or lochs nearby.

Hmmmmm
Old 18 April 2022, 14:40   #11

Another time I had an alarm go off I discovered that my mate was sitting on the fuel line!

Is there anywhere your fuel line could get trapped or kinked?
Old 18 April 2022, 14:42   #12

Much cheaper than when I had a DF20A...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283931494...wAAOSwS8he-jGu

It will show if you have any recorded events... or if it was just a bad dream.
Old 18 April 2022, 14:48   #13

Another simple thing that would hold you to limp home revs is incorrect adjustment of/or a faulty neutral switch which is to stop it being revved over 3000rpm unless in gear.
Old 18 April 2022, 15:18   #14

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Brian, so sorry to here your first trip out wasn't that successful.
I'm not experienced enough to give any concrete advice, however a couple of random thoughts.
I'm a great believer in the old adage "if you don't use it, you'll lose it". Is it possible that there is a problem with impeller because it's not been used - reference your comment about a weak telltale and warm/hot barrel of water?
Is your oil level as it should be, have you lost some oil (not laying your OB on its side when transporting), and thats caused low oil pressure?
I wish I could be of more help as I know you've been waiting a long time for your maiden voyage.
I'm in Oban the last two weeks in August, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you to get out on the water if you can find the time.
Old 18 April 2022, 15:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Another simple thing that would hold you to limp home revs is incorrect adjustment of/or a faulty neutral switch which is to stop it being revved over 3000rpm unless in gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Much cheaper than when I had a DF20A...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283931494...wAAOSwS8he-jGu

It will show if you have any recorded events... or if it was just a bad dream.
Bad dream indeed....made worse that Suzuki might void
any warranty because it hadn't been serviced last year although it only did 1/2 hr of running in a barrel!

Definately useful to have the reader if I plan keep the ob. Think I will get it for peace of mind anyway before heading out again if all is well with a barrel run again.

Quote:
Another time I had an alarm go off I discovered that my mate was sitting on the fuel line!

Is there anywhere your fuel line could get trapped or kinked?
Fuel was my first thought when the engine started dying after a few posts on here....also thinking I might have not released the breather enough, until I saw the light and decided it might be oil or something.

But I think everything fuel wise was ok...although I had just bought a new larger tank, pipe and bulb off ebay which I hadn't actually tested as it only came days before
Old 18 April 2022, 15:21   #16

Again not wishing to insult your intelligence, but I presume the fuel vent was open?

Sorry just throwing anything into the mix at the moment!
Old 18 April 2022, 15:21   #17

Quote:
Again not wishing to insult your intelligence, but I presume the fuel vent was open?

Sorry just throwing anything into the mix at the moment!
Sorry again - just re-read your post!
Old 18 April 2022, 15:35   #18

RIBase
Another “bleeding obvious” one, you were actually in gear and not trying to rev past 2000rpm in neutral? There’s a rev limiter when in neutral.
Old 18 April 2022, 16:00   #19
Spammer

I opened this thread thinking it was about women
Old 18 April 2022, 16:12   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Although I've had the set up for a year now, we hadn't used it apart from in a barrel when I got it, again to empty any trace of fuel out of it for the winter….

Just for future reference, don’t drain the fuel. It’s a fuel injected engine with a HP fuel pump that’s cooled by the fuel. They don’t like being run dry.