Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Hope other users see this, as any risk of premature engine mount failure feels like a serious safety item to me.
I really can't understand why it isn't a recall. If the weather/sea conditions would have been different at the time it failed then it could have been a totally different outcome.
Old 26 August 2021, 11:11   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Be great to see a pic of the old part if they give it back to you.
Old 26 August 2021, 11:21   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I really can't understand why it isn't a recall. If the weather/sea conditions would have been different at the time it failed then it could have been a totally different outcome.
but on that basis every fault that might develop with an outboard should be the basis for a recall; given you may break down for multiple reasons which are not the manufacturer's fault (no fuel, crap fuel, water in fuel after big waves, dodgy battery, etc all being completely out of their domain) its not unreasonably that they don't see large vibration = safety risk. A recall usually means (a) its potentially dangerous or (b) its going to cause damage that's even more expensive to fix.
Old 26 August 2021, 11:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Be great to see a pic of the old part if they give it back to you.
I've been in touch with the dealer this morning.

The new parts haven't arrived as yet, I also asked them to either save the "old" mounts or take some photos.
Old 26 August 2021, 11:43   #25

It's just a general interest having been a car/outboard/small engine problem solver all my life every day is a school day.
Old 26 August 2021, 11:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
but on that basis every fault that might develop with an outboard should be the basis for a recall; given you may break down for multiple reasons which are not the manufacturer's fault (no fuel, crap fuel, water in fuel after big waves, dodgy battery, etc all being completely out of their domain) its not unreasonably that they don't see large vibration = safety risk..
I disagree Polly, "no fuel, crap fuel, water in fuel after big waves, dodgy battery," is not the same as inappropriate, incorrectly specified parts fitted by the manufacturer.
Mercury have openly admitted that there is a problem by issuing a service builtin stating that the engine mounts should be changed for stiffer mounts on short shaft OB fitted to SIBs & RIBs when the customer notices excessive vibration.

"A recall usually means (a) its potentially dangerous or (b) its going to cause damage that's even more expensive to fix".......
I am not overstating it when I say the OB behaved like an out of balance washing machine. The maximum speed I could do was less than 6 knots in a very calm sea, the slightest swell and I was having to stop. If it would have failed completely, it would have caused serious damage and have been very dangerous.
Old 26 August 2021, 12:19   #27

As a fault by the manufacturer that can cause a significant failure it is something that ticks the box in terms of recall. However, if it were a fault in a batch rather than across the board then typically it wouldn't.

You would think though, that with everything being tracked as it is in modern manufacturing one might expect them to know which engines are at risk due to receiving the faulty parts.

Ultimately, it always boils down to money, whether it's cheaper to fix them all or just the ones where the customer survives long enough to request their solution.

Probably best for anyone with such an engine to try and get the mounts replaced while under warranty regardless of whether at fault?
Old 29 August 2021, 12:19   #28

Had a good chat with the service tech at the dealers yesterday.
Apparantley its not just the upper engine mounts that they will be changing.
The are changing the upper mounts, lower mounts and and adding a "damper", which I am happy about, as everyone seems to understand the problem and knows how to solve it................ BUT......... there is a distinct lack of parts, and more worringly no advisory date as to when the parts will be available!
Tomorrow shall be a test of Barrus/Mercury customer service. I have a two week "boating" holiday booked and paid for the last two weeks in Sept, which will be a little problematic without an OB. Hopefully parts will become available, or will they loan me an OB
Watch this space
Old 29 August 2021, 22:04   #29

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
You would think that as it is a known fault being repaired under warranty that a replacement Ob should be supplied with the manufacturer footing the bill?

Similar happened to a car of ours and the garage carrying out the warranty repair gave her a car until the repair was done which was paid for by kia.

Maybe marine suppliers dont do similar?
Old 31 August 2021, 18:35   #30

Barus/Mercury Technical Support & Warranty appear to have come up trumps. They have been in contact with me and the servicing dealer. The parts will be delivered on Thursday, hopefully I will have my outboard back in time for when I go to Freshwater East.
Putting aside that I still think the affected OBs should be subject to a recall, it's a sign of a good company when quick action is taken to resolve a problem after they have been informed.

I shall post an update when I get my OB back.
Old 31 August 2021, 19:25   #31

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Good news there Steve. [emoji106][emoji106]

Barrus have also been very attentive since we contacted them. In fact received an email today confirming they have the upgraded heavy duty mounts in stock in UK/Belgium so our local dealer should have no problem getting the parts.

Not an emergency for us at the moment as original mounts are fine but emailed our local dealer today anyway to book a slot. Reckon in the long run best to get them upgraded.

Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 31 August 2021, 19:40   #32

No problem Chipko, that for me is how a forum should work.

I'm wondering if the change of mounts will alter the characteristics of the OB. Obviously I will only be able to tell when on the water.
Old 08 September 2021, 15:09   #33

Picked up the repaired OB this morning.
New upper and lower engine mounts and a new damper. I had spoken to the service tech on the phone yesterday, and he told me that there was a considerable difference between the old upper mounts and the new upper mounts. Not in appearance, but on the elasticity of the mounts, the new ones being a lot stiffer.

As soon as I had tightened the transom clamps on to the engine stand, I could immediately tell the difference. The movement at the bottom of the skeg is approx 10mm forward and 10mm back, whereas the movement with the old mounts prior to them failing was approx 20 - 25mm forward and back, after they had failed it was closer to 50mm forward and back.

I've included a pic (just for you Fenlander) of the old upper mounts, not that you can tell much.
The central boss of the mount can be moved very easily, much more than I would have imagined, I've actually had stiffer exhaust mounts on a car!

Obviously the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I'm going to Freshwater East next week, so I shall do a report on the OBs performance with the new stiffer engine mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0828.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	138727  
Old 09 September 2021, 17:14   #34

Forgot to mention in the post yesterday Douglas Marine Ltd. Old fashioned good service and good communication.
They had lined up an OB for me to borrow if mine wasn't ready for my holiday, a 15hp Parsun, but at least it would have got me on the water.
Old 09 September 2021, 21:20   #35

They look like voided bushes that are all void and not much meat. I guess the new ones will have reversed that ratio.
Old 09 September 2021, 21:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
They look like voided bushes that are all void and not much meat. I guess the new ones will have reversed that ratio.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the new ones, but that would make sense.
Old 16 September 2021, 09:27   #37

A post to close off this thread.

Has the change of engine mounts altered the performance of the OB?

Launched yesterday out onto the Cleddau Ddu at Pembroke Dock - I will start a new thread about "Freshwater East"
First thing I noticed was a slight increase in vibration, but nothing uncomfortable or annoying and it soon smoothed out when revs increased.
Had to alter the trim pin to the first hole. I had been running in hole 2 as prior to engine mount change, but the prop wasn't always gripping and it just didn't feel right. I may have to pack the OB as it now appears to be a bit low in the water.
Speed doesn't appear to be affected either way, but I think revs are down a little. Unfortunately the little tacho I have isn't working so I'm relying on sound. Got up on the plane just as quickly.

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome.
Old 20 September 2021, 20:58   #38

Need to add an update.

Out again today with my usual set up / weight.

First time out after the mount replacement was without Isla (dog) and the spare 5ltrs of fuel, anchor and kit I usually carry, so I was approx 50kg light.
Now back to trim hole 2 and I can't tell the difference in performance or feel of the OB between prior to the engine mounts failing and after they have been replaced.
Still have a gut feeling that the WOT revs are down, but cant confirm until I get a new tacho.
Old 15 May 2023, 13:51   #39

Town: Chezzetcook
Boat name: bones
Make: prince craft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp
I know this is an old thread now but i just started having the same issue with my 2018 or 19 20hp mercury, the motor is verry loose feeling when you shake the top of motor, it has a bad uncontrollable wobble at speeds above planed out, do you happen to have a tsb number, i try to call my dealer to order parts and everything is discontinued, can’t seem to find part numbers for updated parts, 20hp short shaft, any help would be appreciated
Old 15 May 2023, 14:23   #40

Leave it with me and I'll see if I can get the part nos for you.
I think if you use a Mercury approved dealer they might be able to do it under warranty.