Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 18 May 2023, 14:24   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Irregular Revving? Newish Merc 20HP

Hi all - I took the boat out for the first time since last Sept '22. This is the third year I've owned my Mercury 20HP EFI 4-stroke, bought new from Excel in 2020. I went really easy on the engine, v steady at first and then cruising at about 5-6 knots for about an hour. After about 15mins I noticed that the revving became really irregular - revving downwards from where it was and then in one instance revving up higher and throwing me about a bit.

I wondered if that was normal for a 'first run' of a new season? A couple of other things to know:
I used some petrol from last year.
I've been running the engine every month or so with a hose connected for 5-10 mins but this was the first time the engine has been in gear and had throttle for 6 months.

I've attached a link to a video - it was worse than this half an hour before... engine noticeably shaking a bit when the revs dip. I kept the throttle still throughout.

Thanks

Old 18 May 2023, 17:45   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Tonus, did you have the vent open enough on the fuel tank? Possible kink in the fuel line from the tank to the OB?
Old 18 May 2023, 18:33   #3

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Ah yes I see how that could be an issue… I did have the vent open - perhaps not enough. I’ll try again next week and make sure it’s wide open.

The revving was really quite erratic at one point and I stopped the boat dead - like I said seemed to rev up suddenly. Wasn’t do bad after that but yeh it could be a blockage somehow.

I just thought it might be a common problem that people get with cold engines/dodgy petrol etc