Old 23 March 2023, 19:31   #21

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Only just seen this and enjoyed the spirit of adventure of these lads. I am probably older than most folk on here and remember the days of no sat nav/gps 2 part epoxy glue, kill cords the internet and the health and safety regime. Trips like this tend to make you more resourceful. My first boating adventure which was well over 50 years ago was circumnavigating round Anglesey in a 12 foot oh sorry 3.6576 meter boat with a 25 hp outboard and a road map for navigation. I had a few mishaps but it was a great bit of fun. The modern snowflake society is ruining people you only have to read some of the stupid things people ask for on here. Sorry rant over, I just remember the days when Britain was great not the soft selfish lazy nation that we have become.

Well said Sutty [emoji106]
Old 23 March 2023, 19:32   #22

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yeah..I was lucky I had it with me Willk

I was thinking along the same lines that you thought of ..just something to plug the leak.

My hole was about the size of a small pea and the tube collapsed very quickly. (A small section of seam gave way over a spot which had worn almost through while transporting it it the box trailer. It was fine until I got out to sea)

The araldite works by solidifying into a plug in 5 minutes..in much the same manner as your feather would have stopped the flow. I only inflated the tube enough to keep shape and the sea out. This photo shows my flabby repair tube.

In my opinion the people who are in more danger of death are those who think PVC glue will set in freezing cold temperatures and everything is soaking wet. I also suspect hypothermia would have killed me that day if I followed instructions and sat on the reef a mile off shore for 24 hours.

You will know the reef too Willk as its Dubh Sgeir between Fladda and Luing just south of Easdale ..not the best place for a puncture the last week of February ..temperatures were below zero the whole week and swimming was not an option due to the strong tides that flow round that reef.

My stormsure self adhesive patch.. (Duct Tape type stuff) would have been my prefered repair but a beggar cannot be a chooser. I have used araldite before and knew it worked ..which is why I had it ..and I also always carry a wee foot pump

I should perhaps add that I do carry a Barton Clam emergency repair thingie ..but there is no way Im going to make a small hole into a one inch hole so I can insert the clam.

But that just my thoughts based on my real life experiences.. and like the lad who temp repaired his SIB ..we are both still alive to warn other that two part PVC glue is not the answer on a wet freezing day when stuck on a reef.

Well Said Donny [emoji108]
Old 23 March 2023, 19:41   #23

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Guess I'm just a snowflake
Old 24 March 2023, 08:20   #24

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
HI Steve .. No I dont think you are a snowflake...

I do think you missed the point of the video though

To me .. it is a very cleverly though out video designed to get views and they do this by playing on how gullible many people are.

It worked as they intended as it has 28K views and almost overnight got them over 1K subscribers. Lets face it..a straight forward crossing to the Isle of Man in a SIB under normal circumstances would hardly get a view..it would be boring to watch and not many would watch longer than a minute.

So these clever young lads spiced it up by picking every conceivable rooky mistake they could think of and then exaggerated and exploited these points.

An example is the "green" leaking like a sieve theme which they constantly remind their audience about. To exaggerate that situation, which they knew would get viewers going and keep them watching ..they put duct tape on various other parts of the boat.

"The massive hole at the rear which you can hear air coming out of" ..didnt even blow the blob of glue away when applied to the fully inflated tube ..which it would do if it was a massive hole. They may have even intentionally found an old worn out SIB for the video knowing it would be accompanied by the other boats if it should unexpectedly fail. A perfect way to begin the story and keep folks attention. Even the unseen elements ..like the carefully rehearsed speeches ..and the moody music all keep the wind up scenario going.

Dont belive me ?

Ok..its your choice..but take a look at my leak on the reef posts.. it was also complete fantasy.. (but inspired by a small leak I did get.) I posted to illustrate how easy it is to tell story's on the internet.

IMO the lads are not as stupid as many of you seem to suggest .. but that is the image they wanted to portray for the video ..and it worked perfectly

Of course..my opinion only. ..and you can think I may be the gullible one...its your choice
Old 24 March 2023, 08:33   #25

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
"All he could taste was haggis, buckfast and free university"

Very entertaining. Its like when you watch top gear, they mess about, but you know they have a load of health and safety behind them. As already stated, the leaks on the green boat cant be that bad as its perfectly rigid when getting air. Even if the worst happened and the green boat sank and the evinrude died, they could all have piled into one of the bigger boats with that yam 25 and been fine.
Old 24 March 2023, 09:07   #26

Quote:
Dont belive me ?

Ok..its your choice..but take a look at my leak on the reef posts.. it was also complete fantasy.. (but inspired by a small leak I did get.) I posted to illustrate how easy it is to tell story's on the internet.
Hi Donny, have I read that correctly?

If I have I hold up my hands and admit that I'm the gullible one. I was taken in by your story of fantasy and the lads video.
Old 24 March 2023, 09:11   #27
RIBnet Supporter

At this point, I would like to state that my gull feather incident was 100% real
Old 24 March 2023, 10:49   #28

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
They used say don't believe everything you read in the newspapers... and so it is tenfold with "content creators". I'm happy to be entertained by their content without getting too wound up by apparent foolishness, danger or constructed scenarios.... as with a Tom Cruise film. For example I have been following the videos of an adventuring Youtuber across the world for years and it is apparent some of the things they apparently happen across by chance have taken a lot of planning behind the scenes but it makes for a good watch so what.
Old 24 March 2023, 11:14   #29

Hi Steve .. there is no fire without smoke .. I did repair a leak on Easdale Shore using araldite two weeks ago. Then went round the island of Luing. I certainly wasn't stuck on a reef a mile off shore .. that was purely to exaggerate my predicament ..knowing I would confess once others had absorbed the info...and to illustrate its easy to set believable scenarios that dont actually exist.

Perhaps its because I make videos that I realise "OutsideYourZone"has been carefully put together to tell their entertaining story .. its been well constructed with different camera view points switching from one person to another as they continue the well thought out themes. That does not happen by amatures with a go pro or by accident.I found it enjoyable entertainment ..but nothing more. I do wish I had there video telling skills though

An example that had me in stitches what that "worst piece of rope that I have ever been thrown" scene. I can only imagine they used a gallon of hairspray or similar to get it to stay in such a rigid tangle. Oh ... and the "suncream on" scene where he has slapped it everywhere to exaggerate that point he was putting it on.

Although my leak post was tongue in cheek..it is true that even one part PVC glue wont set in freezing cold wet places. Its also true Araldite will harden into a plug in such situations..a piece of duct tape over the plug will hold it in place to allow you home.

These guys put some duct take over the massive leak..but I suspect it was a small leak which they feared could enlargen. Im pretty certain I can see the outline of a small patch below the duct tape and its a very good way of holding a patch in position giving more time for glue to set. I use Stormsure tape ..other old hands on this forum use Tear Aid because they too know PVC glue is as good as bubble gum at sea.

If you SIB long enough.. I suspect eventually you will get a puncture as sea ..so I hope my posts have given you something to think about ..how will you repair a leak at sea if its cold and wet. If you wish ..You can experiment various ways at home so you don,t get caught out if and when it happens

This is my little emergency patch tin I forgot that day .. luckily I had Araldite and a wee foot pump in my small FRib. I know from using it in the past when I got leaks at sea, some araldite to plug the hole then stormsure patch on top will keep me afloat and inflated a week or more.

Best Regards
DonnyW
Old 24 March 2023, 11:22   #30

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I'm reminded of a salient quote from history that i once read on a website;

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln 1888
Old 24 March 2023, 16:10   #31

Pealing the Duct tape off "The Massive Rear Leak" to do a more permanent repair after the event

Soaping the area and .. Look..no bubbles ??? Hmmm .. It even looks quite a good temp repair to me

IMO .. I think they caught many folks out ..which I suspect was their plan

One thing is obvious to me ..they thoroughly enjoyed their "OutsideYouZone" experience ..you can see it in their faces .. oh to be young again *Sigh*
Old 24 March 2023, 19:11   #32

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>another video up of themselves with their sib and hiring 2 cruisers and doing the Caledonia Canal

Rather enjoyed that as a reminder of our similar adventure a good few years ago on a decent size cruiser with a round tail Avon and my Mariner 2hp 2-stroke as tender/fun boat.

As an example of how well resourced these guys are their two boats on the canal with fuel and canal dues would have been about £4500 low season or £6500 high season. So they're not really struggling for puncture repair outfits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beldorney Castle moored.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	142375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beldorney Castle moored2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	142376  
Old 25 March 2023, 12:38   #33

Quote:
If you SIB long enough.. I suspect eventually you will get a puncture as sea ..so I hope my posts have given you something to think about ..how will you repair a leak at sea if its cold and wet. If you wish ..You can experiment various ways at home so you don,t get caught out if and when it happens

This is my little emergency patch tin I forgot that day .. luckily I had Araldite and a wee foot pump in my small FRib. I know from using it in the past when I got leaks at sea, some araldite to plug the hole then stormsure patch on top will keep me afloat and inflated a week or more.

Best Regards
DonnyW
Hi Donny, I have had a puncture whist out on Ullswater. I did a temporary fix using a ribbed conical wooden cone to bung up the small hole until I got back to where the truck was parked. Admittedly it wasn't out at sea and I could have walked the 6 miles back if it had failed, but it didn't. I carry the wooden cone in my repair kit, which is very similar to yours but with the addition of gaffer tape, after it was suggested that I carry one in the SIB by Pikey Dave when I was seeking advice on how to repair a small leak under the rubbing strake. Which leads me onto why I still think it is an irresponsible video.
Being a relative newby, all be it with over 150 hours on the water, mostly on the sea, I still tend to look at things from a "newbies" perspective - "could I do that", "would it help me", "so that's how that's done", "that's a good idea" ect. When I saw that "repair" and using an "unreliable" outboard before they had set off, it annoyed me because if I didn't have the experience and was completely new to boating (I have sailed dinghies and kayaked for a long time) I may have thought that was an acceptable way to do things. I think no matter what your hobby or past time is, you should impart your knowledge onto others in a safe, responsible manner.
You looked at that video not only from an experienced boating point of view, but also from a good experienced video makers point of view. So you saw that the "repair" wasn't real and everything was exaggerated to gain veiws and subscribers, but would a total newby, who is hungry for knowledge, have looked at it the same way, maybe or maybe not.
We all looked at things differently, and long may that continue, but I stand by what I think.

Regards,

Steve
Old 25 March 2023, 13:57   #34

Thats ok Steve ..everyone is entitled to their opinion...and all Im trying to do is express mine.

I dont know the OYZ guys so not trying to defend them.. just trying to explain its a spoof movie like Blazing Saddles or Airplane.

Have you seen their more serious video of going round Arron..a place you went on an organised Scottish SIB outing suitable for beginners. ?

Can you put hand on heart and say everything went well and no risks were taken on your trip ... compared to their round Arron trip (and not their spoof video )?

As for their navigation and route planning it was bang on, it is 40 miles from St Bees head to Douglas as stated by OYZ. So dont believe everything on RIBNET either Everyone makes mistakes and ther video took a humorous way to highlight it

While I remember .. I was talking to a guy who came from Embo in the north of Scotland only last week ...he was asking after you and the haggis man as he was on your Arron trip.
Old 25 March 2023, 14:38   #35

I watched the OYZ video of their trip around Arron last night and really enjoyed it, it's a trip I'd like to do again but a little more leisurely than the first time

Yep, the "organised" Scottish Sib trip "suitable" for beginners was a baptism of fire and not really suitable for complete beginners, but I don't believe any real risks were taken or perhaps I was to concerned that my OB was going to fall off to notice.

If it's the guy I think you are talking about, Zander, then I shall always feel gratitude towards him and his mate (sorry forgot his name) for shadowing me back to Largs, always felt safe with them nearby.

If your around Oban early July well have to meet up for a pint or three?
Old 25 March 2023, 15:09   #36

His mate is Ron Steve .. they were on a Scottish SIB outing I was on a few years back. Poly organized this one. I got a bad leak hauling my SIB off the trailer at Largs and the rear section went flat within minutes. That was at the start of our weekend. Poly and the rest of the guys will confirm.. I repaired it with Araldite and slapped a patch over it. Half an hour later we all set off. We went 60 miles that weekend in some bad weather ..F4 -F5 round Ardlamont point can be wild as you know.

Anyhoo knowing Poly and because he organized it..Im willing to bet if he thought I was being stupid or taking a dangerous risk.. he would have told me. I wrote the right up about it on this Forum and a thread was started on the repair etc. Back then not one person said I was irresponsible or stupid.. yet it was a worse leak than the Green Machine. I knew the repair would work fine..because I have the experience of doing it quite a few times. I also know about baffles and using SIBs at sea with three chambers because the forth is flat.

The guy went to sea with an unreliable outboard knowing his mates would help them. You too went to sea and crossed from Arran to the mainland with a very unreliable outboard ..knowing you had folks to assist. Where is the difference ? Did all your party stay with you to assist ? Im pretty sure the OYZ gang would all rally round as a full team

But I might be wrong .. folks will make up their own opinion ..and I dont mind if you think that. Give me a yell when you get up to Benderloch and I will have a coffee or three with you ..

Im going back to sleep now..well camping in the cold again..have fun guys
Old 25 March 2023, 16:06   #37

Quote:
The guy went to sea with an unreliable outboard knowing his mates would help them. You too went to sea and crossed from Arran to the mainland with a very unreliable outboard ..knowing you had folks to assist. Where is the difference ? Did all your party stay with you to assist ? Im pretty sure the OYZ gang would all rally round as a full team
Absolutely no comparison can be made. My outboard was less than 4 months old, just been serviced and had done 35hrs, so for all intents and purposes reliable. The upper engine mounts failed out at sea between Arran and Bute so how else was I going to get back to the mainland? Yes it was good knowing I had folk there to assist me, Haggis (for all his faults) knew exactly what to do and Zander and Ron shadowed me back to Largs for which I will always be grateful.

Where's the difference?

OYZ set out knowing they had an unreliable outboard from the mainland hoping it wouldn't fail, which it did.
My "new" fully serviced, reliable outboard engine mounts failed out at sea. In my opinion, that's a world of difference.

Enjoy your boating trip.
Old 25 March 2023, 17:32   #38

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Thats ok Steve ..everyone is entitled to their opinion...and all Im trying to do is express mine.

I dont know the OYZ guys so not trying to defend them.. just trying to explain its a spoof movie like Blazing Saddles or Airplane.

Have you seen their more serious video of going round Arron..a place you went on an organised Scottish SIB outing suitable for beginners. ?

Can you put hand on heart and say everything went well and no risks were taken on your trip ... compared to their round Arron trip (and not their spoof video )?

As for their navigation and route planning it was bang on, it is 40 miles from St Bees head to Douglas as stated by OYZ. So dont believe everything on RIBNET either Everyone makes mistakes and ther video took a humorous way to highlight it

While I remember .. I was talking to a guy who came from Embo in the north of Scotland only last week ...he was asking after you and the haggis man as he was on your Arron trip.
They didnt go direct to Douglas, they took the shorter open water crossing to ramsey bay which is only 30 miles then hugged the coast down to Douglas. They claimed 40 miles of open water which was incorrect. As for their navigation, they spent considerable time heading towards the mull of Galloway which ain't enroute to the IOM

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 25 March 2023, 18:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
They claimed 40 miles of open water which was incorrect. As for their navigation, they spent considerable time heading towards the mull of Galloway which ain't enroute to the IOM

Ah Beamer.. good to see you still around

If you watch their video they clearly say 40 miles from St Bees Head to Douglas.. I have turned on subtitles and screen shots to show you are mistaken. Where do you get Ramsay bay from if not out your imagination ?

Going from St Bees Head to Douglas Via Ramsay bay would actually make the route longer and if you are in a 3.6 meter boat its all open sea although I appreciate if you are in your car ferry you may think different.

Have you talked to the guys to find out if they really were miles off route or just winding you up as its the easiest thing in the world to set a waypoint anywhere on a GPS and say thats where you are ?:
Old 25 March 2023, 19:30   #40

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Ah Beamer.. good to see you still around

If you watch their video they clearly say 40 miles from St Bees Head to Douglas.. I have turned on subtitles and screen shots to show you are mistaken. Where do you get Ramsay bay from if not out your imagination ?

Going from St Bees Head to Douglas Via Ramsay bay would actually make the route longer and if you are in a 3.6 meter boat its all open sea although I appreciate if you are in your car ferry you may think different.

Have you talked to the guys to find out if they really were miles off route or just winding you up as its the easiest thing in the world to set a waypoint anywhere on a GPS and say thats where you are ?:
Watch it again! they landed in port cornaa which yes it would make their route longer but only roughly 30 miles of open water then 10-15 miles of coast hugging.
They also state they were totally disoriented & headed for the isle of whithorn

Tags
sib