I'm sure "skippering boat Yan" should read "skippering boat one"
Old 25 March 2023, 19:49   #42

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Proves no one is perfect Steve ..

If Im totally honest .. for me I found their video very entertaining but a bit loud and "inyerface" for my taste ..but appreciate that is the younger generations way.

I have let the guys know my thoughts and also posted them a link to this entire thread as I felt I was spending too much time replying to it when its absolutely nothing to do with me .. My aim was mostly to entertain you guys too with my replies as Ribnet has been quiet lately ? and also get the guys a bit more exposure with their OYZ videos.

I suspect OYZ are killing themselves laughing reading all this but also delighted that their video has entertained so many and had so many views.

Perhaps they may add their own comments ..and who knows ..may say I have been talking bollox and we really are as stupid as the video showed us to be.

Im definitely leaving it at that now.. High tide is mid morning tomorrow.. I have the cameras on charge and Im camping out on a trip in the wee F Rib. Its to snow a little tonight and temperatures are to be well below zero in Monday morning.. perfect conditions to try the new artic sleeping bag and camp mat I bought after almost dying of hypothermia at the end of Feb. The video will be posted on my own channel later ..assuming I survive

Best regards
DonnyW
Old 25 March 2023, 20:00   #43

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Have a good trip Donny, you're far hardier than this "southern" softie
Old 25 March 2023, 21:55   #44
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
...perfect conditions to try the new artic sleeping bag and camp mat I bought after almost dying of hypothermia at the end of Feb. The video will be posted on my own channel later ..assuming I survive
SO - with all this talk of Video Promotion, I'm now unsure if you are emulating Scott of the Antarctic, or you left the bedroom window ajar again?

Old 25 March 2023, 23:17   #45

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
hey thanks for the opening Willk ..and Im delighted to get the chance to promote one of my videos

This one is no spoof ..it tells the true story of a bitterly cold night camping and I thought I wasnt going to make it though the night.. made worse by the fact I had to get out my sleeping bag 8 timet.. to empty my 60:30 premix of Guinness and Brewdog.. I was certain my poor blue dangler would break off ... every time I had to get out my summer sleeping bag to shake it.

Im no Scott of anywhere .. just an old Scot being himself. Im sure the camping police will have a ball .. knowing Im going in a small Vango Banshee tent tomorrow night in the same place..but this time alone..so no rescue party to unthaw me if my new Alpkit Skye 800 duck down bag breaks down, or my Alpkit Dozzer mat gets a leak and I forget the stormsure patch. I wont have VHF either..but I will have a PLB.. 6 tins of Guinness and 4 tins of Brewdog Punk ..to help me fight the cold ..and hopefully make a long dark night feel shorter ...wish me luck
Old 26 March 2023, 14:11   #46

I joined this group to find likeminded boaters, and one of the first posts I click on is a load of whinging old folks complaining about young lads actually getting out there and trying something, when most of that generation can’t even get off their phones or computer games. Seems like a lot of you have lost what it means to have an adventure. Didn’t think the RIB/SIB community would be so sensitive but hey ho. What a first experience of this website.
Old 26 March 2023, 15:45   #47

Hi Lewis, and welcome to Ribnet.

Just woke up from my afternoon nap and read your post

Don't think you've read the whole thread. I could be wrong as my maths isn't what it was when I was younger! but I think it's probably a 60/40 split in favour of OYZ, so not everyone is an old moaning git like me.

Seriously though, I applaud what they do. It's how they portray thier "fake" cavalier attitude towards safety that I dislike, which to be fair to the lads has disappeared from their later video's.

Anyway stick around, it's generally a good forum. The odd troll pops up every now and then, well one in particular under different guises.
Old 26 March 2023, 15:55   #48

Steve,
Thanks for the welcome, I plan on sticking around and gaining some insight from you fellas.
On returning to the thread, it seems you’re right, and my initial reaction was probably an oversight on my part.
Good to see people supporting these young lads, and good to know that their later videos are better in terms of taking things seriously. I think I’m going to go and have a look through them now over a cup of tea and a couple of digestives.
Thanks again
Old 26 March 2023, 17:29   #49

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Great videos need to mention fishing in the title though as that's what appears to get the hits on YouTube. Google Honwave and fishing videos, 250k views. Good luck.
Old 26 March 2023, 18:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Great videos need to mention fishing in the title though as that's what appears to get the hits on YouTube. Google Honwave and fishing videos, 250k views. Good luck.
You've hit the nail on the head

My next video is going to be titled " Redneck's now a Honwave and never caught a fish" perhaps then I can earn some money
Old 26 March 2023, 18:36   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew1sGreen View Post
Steve,
Thanks for the welcome, I plan on sticking around and gaining some insight from you fellas.
On returning to the thread, it seems you’re right, and my initial reaction was probably an oversight on my part.
Good to see people supporting these young lads, and good to know that their later videos are better in terms of taking things seriously. I think I’m going to go and have a look through them now over a cup of tea and a couple of digestives.
Thanks again
Take a look at Donny's (The Gurnard) video's. We may disagree on a few points, but insperational is an understatement. I would never have ventured as much or as far without watching what he has done.
Old 08 June 2023, 12:40   #52

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I still think it is an irresponsible video.

Being a relative newby, all be it with over 150 hours on the water, mostly on the sea, I still tend to look at things from a "newbies" perspective - "could I do that", "would it help me", "so that's how that's done", "that's a good idea" ect. When I saw that "repair" and using an "unreliable" outboard before they had set off, it annoyed me because if I didn't have the experience and was completely new to boating (I have sailed dinghies and kayaked for a long time) I may have thought that was an acceptable way to do things. I think no matter what your hobby or past time is, you should impart your knowledge onto others in a safe, responsible manner.

You... saw that the "repair" wasn't real and everything was exaggerated to gain veiws and subscribers, but would a total newby, who is hungry for knowledge, have looked at it the same way, maybe or maybe not.
Completely agree, Steve.

Their aim was to make it "laddish" to get more YouTube views - but possibly at the cost of the safety of someone naive to boating (and the rescue crew who are called out).

I use the University of YouTube a lot, and a few years ago I was totally taken in by a very convincing video about battery charging, which it turned out was a spoof. And I'm reasonably knowledgeable about electricity...

Trello.
Old 09 June 2023, 20:10   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
Completely agree, Steve.

Their aim was to make it "laddish" to get more YouTube views - but possibly at the cost of the safety of someone naive to boating (and the rescue crew who are called out).

I use the University of YouTube a lot, and a few years ago I was totally taken in by a very convincing video about battery charging, which it turned out was a spoof. And I'm reasonably knowledgeable about electricity...

Trello.
Half a stories no good............?
Old 10 June 2023, 13:41   #54

ah, now, Tinker, if you search my posts, you will see I have asked a plethora of daft questions - so I don't imagine I have much street cred on this forum.

To tell the rest of that story would just perpetuate the assumption by members of the forum that I am a blithering idiot... [emoji4]
Old 10 June 2023, 20:23   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
ah, now, Tinker, if you search my posts, you will see I have asked a plethora of daft questions - so I don't imagine I have much street cred on this forum.

To tell the rest of that story would just perpetuate the assumption by members of the forum that I am a blithering idiot... [emoji4]
We all start this journey as blithering idiots and improve from there, as for cred and forum, they just dont really mix that well unless the forum is on its arse.

I'm trying to think of a disaster I have orchestrated but I'm struggling tbh.......although swapping fuel from tank to tank with a naked flame present was borderline disaster area ......we was on the banks of the river Severn so had the option to turn and run but chose to fight the fire and thankfully, by hook and crook, came through the other side unscathed......so far.
Old 11 June 2023, 22:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
...as for cred and forum, they just dont really mix that well unless the forum is on its arse.

Yes, I was just kidding about the street cred: this forum is great for people freely giving good information, and not "competing" with others with regards being the best informed, or making unpleasant remarks about other members. Unfortunately, a lot of the internet is full of just that kind of behaviour - you only have to look at some of the very cruel posts in the comments sections on YouTube.

My battery-charging foolishness pales in comparison with your setting a fuel tank on fire on the banks of the Severn - I would love to have seen that! [emoji1]

Tags
sib