Old 08 March 2023, 17:58   #1

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Youtube England to Isle of Man by SIB

I found this youtube channel interesting viewing.
It doesnt start too well though because they have to repair a puncture on one of the boats before setting off.
Its about 40 miles of open sea by sibs. Epic adventure or a bit too crazy? You decide.

Old 08 March 2023, 19:29   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Thats a good watch ..............but a bit scary !
Old 08 March 2023, 22:46   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Personally the longer I watched it the more I got annoyed, perhaps its just old git syndrome!
Old 09 March 2023, 07:07   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Personally the longer I watched it the more I got annoyed, perhaps its just old git syndrome!
I thought the same, poorly prepared & poorly equipped, couldnt even get the distance correct its only 30 miles open water not 40. Could have easily become rnil statistics imho.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 09 March 2023, 07:27   #5

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
*cringe*
Old 09 March 2023, 07:39   #6

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Ha Ha ,it would be good to hear their opinion on which beach wheels they would choose !
Old 09 March 2023, 11:15   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Ha Ha ,it would be good to hear their opinion on which beach wheels they would choose !
Judging by the no of holes in the green boat I think they just go for the "drag it over the rocks"method of launching [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 09 March 2023, 11:46   #8

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Good training film for 'How not to'.
Old 09 March 2023, 11:49   #9

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
A bunch of young guys having fun, I think the video was intended as a bit of a wind up 🤷
Old 09 March 2023, 15:50   #10

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Well they took a bearing, went in company, had enough fuel, seemed in the main to have a form of life jackets and went on a calm day

Looked a tad haphazard but they had the basics down

Not sure how it would have panned out if anyone had gone in or the weather turned but protected by being young. What could possibly go wrong [emoji1]
Old 09 March 2023, 22:33   #11

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
A bunch of young guys having fun, I think the video was intended as a bit of a wind up 🤷
They've made to many similar videos for it to be a wind up.

I'd agree, set out to have fun.- but, no kill cords attached, an outboard they know has been "playing up", The "Green" leaking like a sieve, only one person knowing where they were going, the list goes on.
Old 12 March 2023, 23:54   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I watched this some months ago. The difference between my "seafaring" and the advice I give compared to their adventuring is chalk and cheese but I enjoyed the video and could see that behind the overt and sometimes jarring laddishness they seem sound and resourceful fellas.
Old 14 March 2023, 20:18   #13

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
Interesting video.

It reminded me that I wanted to SIB over to the Scilly Isles.

Anyone ever done that?
Old 20 March 2023, 04:44   #14

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
They have just put another video up of themselves with their sib and hiring 2 cruisers and doing the Caledonia Canal [emoji23]
Old 22 March 2023, 06:45   #15

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex View Post
I found this youtube channel interesting viewing.

It doesnt start too well though because they have to repair a puncture on one of the boats before setting off.

Its about 40 miles of open sea by sibs. Epic adventure or a bit too crazy? You decide.

Quality puncture repair there too. They don't deflate the boat, don't use 2 part glue, don't let it cure overnight and by the look of things the patch material was duct tape. And one boat using a known unreliable engine....

That they didn't die and had a good time overall is I triumph of guts over gumption I feel.
Old 22 March 2023, 07:59   #16

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Only just seen this and enjoyed the spirit of adventure of these lads. I am probably older than most folk on here and remember the days of no sat nav/gps 2 part epoxy glue, kill cords the internet and the health and safety regime. Trips like this tend to make you more resourceful. My first boating adventure which was well over 50 years ago was circumnavigating round Anglesey in a 12 foot oh sorry 3.6576 meter boat with a 25 hp outboard and a road map for navigation. I had a few mishaps but it was a great bit of fun. The modern snowflake society is ruining people you only have to read some of the stupid things people ask for on here. Sorry rant over, I just remember the days when Britain was great not the soft selfish lazy nation that we have become.
Old 23 March 2023, 12:27   #17

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Oh dear ..it was only two weeks ago and I would have given my right arm for a bit of duct tape

I got a puncture at sea and had to use some 5 min Araldite to glue a piece of plastic I found on the shore..to fix my leak

60 years at sea and Im as bad as the youngsters... will I never learn ?

I will remember to pack my stormsure self adhesive patches next time as I had left them at home (its really just fancy duct tape)

Still ... it saved calling out the RNLI to rescue me from the offshore reef I landed on to find out why my tube was going soft. I then enjoyed my day going another 25 miles before going home.

Old 23 March 2023, 15:22   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I got a puncture at sea and had to use some 5 min Araldite to glue a piece of plastic I found on the shore..to fix my leak
Araldite! You don't know how good you have it.

I once found myself ashore with a pinhole leak in my tender, looking at my moored RIB, just out of reach. The repair kit was on the RIB. I hadda use a quill from a herring gull feather to plug the hole before cutting quite a jaunty figure speeding out to the mooring...
Old 23 March 2023, 16:22   #19

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yeah..I was lucky I had it with me Willk

I was thinking along the same lines that you thought of ..just something to plug the leak.

My hole was about the size of a small pea and the tube collapsed very quickly. (A small section of seam gave way over a spot which had worn almost through while transporting it it the box trailer. It was fine until I got out to sea)

The araldite works by solidifying into a plug in 5 minutes..in much the same manner as your feather would have stopped the flow. I only inflated the tube enough to keep shape and the sea out. This photo shows my flabby repair tube.

In my opinion the people who are in more danger of death are those who think PVC glue will set in freezing cold temperatures and everything is soaking wet. I also suspect hypothermia would have killed me that day if I followed instructions and sat on the reef a mile off shore for 24 hours.

You will know the reef too Willk as its Dubh Sgeir between Fladda and Luing just south of Easdale ..not the best place for a puncture the last week of February ..temperatures were below zero the whole week and swimming was not an option due to the strong tides that flow round that reef.

My stormsure self adhesive patch.. (Duct Tape type stuff) would have been my prefered repair but a beggar cannot be a chooser. I have used araldite before and knew it worked ..which is why I had it ..and I also always carry a wee foot pump

I should perhaps add that I do carry a Barton Clam emergency repair thingie ..but there is no way Im going to make a small hole into a one inch hole so I can insert the clam.

But that just my thoughts based on my real life experiences.. and like the lad who temp repaired his SIB ..we are both still alive to warn other that two part PVC glue is not the answer on a wet freezing day when stuck on a reef.
Old 23 March 2023, 18:22   #20

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
I understand it can be done if you have to, but those chaps decided to set off with a dodgy repair. Had they patched it stuck on a reef on the way or something I'd be impressed the dodgy patch held and congratulate the ingenuity but they did this when they could have aborted and fixed it properly with no risk to themselves and just some inconvenience in needing to delay. Not my idea of good seamanship but they made it so heyho.

Tags
sib