Old 27 March 2023, 08:32   #1

Town: Carlisle
Boat name: ??? - find out soon
Make: Hydrus H6
Length: 3m +
Engine: Petrol 15hp outboard
Outside Your Zone - Ask Us Anything

Hi Everyone

We heard we had caused a stir on this forum with our crossing to the Isle of Man and there are some misconceptions surrounding the video so we thought we would make an account and give you guys a chance to ask any questions you may have.

For anyone who hasn't seen the video: https://youtu.be/Bpp_zdZsRNg

For anyone who hasn't seen our channel;
www.youtube.com/outsideyourzone
Old 27 March 2023, 10:07   #2

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Your videos are good and entertaining, keep making them. I like them [emoji108]
Old 27 March 2023, 10:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Your videos are good and entertaining, keep making them. I like them [emoji108]
Thanks mate, appreciate that a lot! As you probably know the videos are for entertainment and fun, often designed in a way to keep people who aren't interested in the boats engaged so its great to hear you enjoy them.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:45   #4

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
I've done some very long offshore sib journeys too so I loved watching your youtube stuff. I can see that you have to keep it entertaining for those with millisecond attention spans, but that's always going to wind up those people that know the topic well and want some substance. I do everyone a favour on my own youtube channel and just stay silent and video the view. Hence i only have about 30 views. Maybe i should rock a mankini for the thumbnails lol
Old 27 March 2023, 11:01   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum.

You are fully aware some of your antics, or at least the way you portray them, will grate a bit with us older lifetime boating folks but so what... your videos of a bunch of good hearted lads having fun are very watchable.

Get that Caledonian Canal part 2 uploaded asap please!

BTW the only question I have is what are you using to film... phones... GoPros or something better?
Old 27 March 2023, 11:11   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi OYZ..welcome to Fibnet.

Hope you dont mind if I ask you a question too

Do you think you are outside my zone ?

I enjoy a bit of fishing if that help you answer

Old 27 March 2023, 11:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
I've done some very long offshore sib journeys too so I loved watching your youtube stuff. I can see that you have to keep it entertaining for those with millisecond attention spans, but that's always going to wind up those people that know the topic well and want some substance. I do everyone a favour on my own youtube channel and just stay silent and video the view. Hence i only have about 30 views. Maybe i should rock a mankini for the thumbnails lol
You are right, we skip over a lot of the prep and safety gear in order to keep the video moving which we can see could annoy people who want to see things done throughly. You should defintely do some speaking to give the videos more character as Donny does. I think the mankini might do the trick to be honest mate!
Old 27 March 2023, 11:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You are fully aware some of your antics, or at least the way you portray them, will grate a bit with us older lifetime boating folks but so what... your videos of a bunch of good hearted lads having fun are very watchable.

Get that Caledonian Canal part 2 uploaded asap please!

BTW the only question I have is what are you using to film... phones... GoPros or something better?
Thanks pal! We are glad you get it and are buzzing for the next Cale Video (Out sunday 12pm).

We use gopros for the majority of action shots, iphones with 4k for speaking and chiller clips and of course the drone for the insane views and action.
Old 27 March 2023, 11:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi OYZ..welcome to Fibnet.

Hope you dont mind if I ask you a question too

Do you think you are outside my zone ?

I enjoy a bit of fishing if that help you answer

Hi Donny,

Not at all, we think you would fit in with the lads no problem. In fact we would love to do an adventure with you soon so you will have to give us some contact details and we will get something planned.

If you are looking to get outside your zone we are sure we can think of something amazing for us to do!

We are looking forward to doing some fishing this year too, as we haven't had a chance to do that with our SIBs yet.

Love your videos by the way!
Old 27 March 2023, 11:48   #10

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi again OYZ..I will give you my Email address the same way I contacted you.

I think I like the Idea of a Gurnard OYZ combine video ... could catch a few more of the bottom feeders... if fishing is involved

Beware though.. I survived a freezing cold night in my tent last night ..just to see if I would live or die...thats how hard core this old SIBer is

My cereal milk was frozen solid and I could have skated on the coffee water this morning .. so thats my next video so watch out for it coming soon

I hate giving the punch line away but ..I was as warm as toast this time
Old 27 March 2023, 13:27   #11

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi lads, think I was probably one of the biggest detractors from your IOM video. The only reason being the "percieved" lack of preparation and the "percieved" cavalier attitude towards safety at the begining of the video. I now totally understand its to retain the viewers attention, but I honestly believe it could lead some ill informed newbies into thinking that it's OK to put to sea in a dodgy sib with a dodgy engine.
However I did enjoy the vid of your trip around Arran.
Old 27 March 2023, 14:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi again OYZ..I will give you my Email address the same way I contacted you.

I think I like the Idea of a Gurnard OYZ combine video ... could catch a few more of the bottom feeders... if fishing is involved

Beware though.. I survived a freezing cold night in my tent last night ..just to see if I would live or die...thats how hard core this old SIBer is

My cereal milk was frozen solid and I could have skated on the coffee water this morning .. so thats my next video so watch out for it coming soon

I hate giving the punch line away but ..I was as warm as toast this time

Great to hear pal, OYZ x The Gurnard should make for some good videos.

Sounds rough but we wouldn't doubt you could survive that, we look forward to seeing the video.
Old 27 March 2023, 14:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi lads, think I was probably one of the biggest detractors from your IOM video. The only reason being the "percieved" lack of preparation and the "percieved" cavalier attitude towards safety at the begining of the video. I now totally understand its to retain the viewers attention, but I honestly believe it could lead some ill informed newbies into thinking that it's OK to put to sea in a dodgy sib with a dodgy engine.
However I did enjoy the vid of your trip around Arran.
We were definitely a little cheeky with the Johnson engine but we had a lot of gear that we didnt mention in the video, the 4 horsepower and towing rope in case of engine failure, EPIRB, 2 VHFs, GPS with SOS, AIS, contacted the coast guards and had a friend from St Bees RNLI stood on St Bees Head watching us. Glad you enjoyed the Arran videos though mate!
Old 27 March 2023, 15:17   #14

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Loved the OYZ videos when I stumbled across them recently.
I’ve only been boating for a couple of years (and myself am probably overkill with the safety stuff) but it is true to say that I still need the occasional little push to do things that I’ve never done before in places I’ve never been before. You can’t compare how good it feels to do new things.
When I watch a Donny Wilcox or OYZ video it’s always inspiring!
Old 29 March 2023, 18:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
Loved the OYZ videos when I stumbled across them recently.
I’ve only been boating for a couple of years (and myself am probably overkill with the safety stuff) but it is true to say that I still need the occasional little push to do things that I’ve never done before in places I’ve never been before. You can’t compare how good it feels to do new things.
When I watch a Donny Wilcox or OYZ video it’s always inspiring!

Exactly, no better feeling mate! Cheers pal, we will get a collab video made for you
Old 29 March 2023, 20:38   #16

All the rib.net love is in place tonight!

Personally not my bag. I'm going to say that's a mixture of lots of stuff: (it's to IoM venture that I watched)

1. The venture wasn't really that adventurous - was it? People cross the English Channel in SIBs every day according to the news.

2. The preparation and jeopardy was a bit first generation top gear. You know where they converted cars to boats etc. You know stuff goes wrong. But you also know no-one dies. Difference being the viewer has built the relationship with the presenters over years...

3. If you are making out the adventure is pushing limits, don't then do it with an engine that doesn't work and a boat that doesn't float

4. Who is your audience? Is it boat folk? Or randoms. Boat folk want to know what they might need to do to do the journey. Randoms, there was far too much that was boat specific. (Think about how a TV show might cover some of that stuff... Likely a filmed meet up with an expert to run through stuff and be told their plan is madness and doomed to fail etc)

5. Run time... Top Gear wouldn't stay on a video for more than 10mins. If they did they came back to the studio and returned later.

Doesn't mean you are wrong... Just not to my taste.
Old 30 March 2023, 00:15   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Who is your audience? Is it boat folk? Or randoms. Boat folk want to know what they might need to do to do the journey. Randoms, there was far too much that was boat specific.

Yet, even if it doesn't suit everyone here, with 29,000 views so far the mix is proving successful.
Old 31 March 2023, 20:57   #18

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Welcome to the forum OYZ.
I originally posted your link on here, more with the intention of causing interest rather than controversy. Especially so when there has been cold windy weather lately and little sibbing on my behalf. I love having adventures sibbing and going exploring.
One question, you say above that you have an EPIRB, why did you choose that instead of a PLB?
Old 10 May 2023, 16:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Who is your audience? Is it boat folk? Or randoms. Boat folk want to know what they might need to do to do the journey. Randoms, there was far too much that was boat specific.

Yet, even if it doesn't suit everyone here, with 29,000 views so far the mix is proving successful.

For the Isle of Man video we wanted to make Inflatable Boat content for people who aren't interested in boats yet. As you say it has been working. Many people have told us how we inspired them to get an inflatable boat. Thanks for your support mate
Old 10 May 2023, 16:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
All the rib.net love is in place tonight!

Personally not my bag. I'm going to say that's a mixture of lots of stuff: (it's to IoM venture that I watched)

1. The venture wasn't really that adventurous - was it? People cross the English Channel in SIBs every day according to the news.

2. The preparation and jeopardy was a bit first generation top gear. You know where they converted cars to boats etc. You know stuff goes wrong. But you also know no-one dies. Difference being the viewer has built the relationship with the presenters over years...

3. If you are making out the adventure is pushing limits, don't then do it with an engine that doesn't work and a boat that doesn't float

4. Who is your audience? Is it boat folk? Or randoms. Boat folk want to know what they might need to do to do the journey. Randoms, there was far too much that was boat specific. (Think about how a TV show might cover some of that stuff... Likely a filmed meet up with an expert to run through stuff and be told their plan is madness and doomed to fail etc)

5. Run time... Top Gear wouldn't stay on a video for more than 10mins. If they did they came back to the studio and returned later.

Doesn't mean you are wrong... Just not to my taste.

We appreciate your feedback.

Our target audience is people who like adventure and want to get outside of their comfort zone.

We like that you have compared us to Top Gear, with a budget of over 4 million on some episodes, we are doing well for only having our disposable income from our full time jobs.

We try to do as many cool things in our spare time and make the best videos we can. If someone is new to boats we mgiht just inspire them, if someone already knows everything about boats they might not be fond of our content.