Old 31 October 2015, 20:42   #1

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Which roofrack for 3.5M RIB (Ford Ka)

Hello, I am going to buy my first RIB soon to use on the Thames in Fulham(when I find a cheap one the right size). No trailer as no drive, so will have to be a roof rack on my small Ford Ka 2005. Any recommendations? I know it will be huge but can it be done? This RIB, when I find it, will deflate and be walked THROUGH my flat to the garden, thus the need for balancing fibreglass hull and size.
Old 31 October 2015, 20:55   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Do you mean a RIB as in inflated tubes with hard hull... or a SIB which is all inflated??

Your use sounds like you need an air floor SIB which would probably go in the back of the car and be easier to manage at the flat.

BTW... welcome to the forum.
Old 31 October 2015, 21:02   #3

Hi Fenlander - thanks for the welcome. I may be being too ambitious, but am looking to squeeze a RIB rather than SIB through the doors on its side as it seems a proper fibreglass hull with an angle and a bit of depth to it will glide along the Thames at speed and take a larger HP motor. But I might be being too ambitious. The For Ka is small but does take a roof race. I am hoping the boat can overlap width ways and length ways legally. I am planning to do VHF licence and buy lifejackets on Ebay. If this all is impossible I might have to go for a pack away boat with electric boat inflator. Any thoughts?
Old 31 October 2015, 21:41   #4

That's going to be a real faff whichever way you do it with a RIB... if it is possible at all. Most RIBs of that size would weigh around 180lbs and be very unhandy to try and take through a house on their side... even assuming their depth would fit through a door.

I very rarely advise the exact SIB I have because it doesn't suit everyone... but I reckon a Bombard Aerotec could be ideal for your use if it's just a fun boat for 2 or 3 folks.

Packs away small and very very light for a 3.8m... takes a 25hp and has the deepest V hull of any SIB which "glides" better than any other SIB I've used in choppy conditions. A doddle to set up too with an elec inflator.

A Honwave 3.8 air floor would similarly fit the bill.

BTW just seen your wanted ad... are you expecting a 3.5m RIB and 15-30hp outboard for £800 max? You might need to double that at a minimum!
Old 31 October 2015, 22:07   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I'm a bit out of things, Thames-wise, but I understood that there was a fairly rubbish speed limit? Maybe not so much 30hp "gliding"?
Old 31 October 2015, 23:39   #6

You'll knacker your boat roof-racking it inflated.

Its also going to be heavy. I mean REALLY heavy. 3.5m Glass Rib will be 80-100kg with nothing.

You may well be over limit for the roof - would have thought it'll be 50-75kg. If not getting it up there will be a challenge. See Camp4Ever - 3.5m Kimberley Hypalon Alloy RIB - this is a ALLOY rib not glass, so is lighter and they still use a fancy rack for it, and use the 3.1m.

You engine will fill the Ka. How many people are you moving? By the time you've but oilskins, life jackets, anchors etc in the boot is there room for the engine without seats down?

That roof rack is designed not to put pressure on the toobs. a standard roof rack will cause wear on the toobs.

You aint going to enjoy moving it through the house.

If you don't want a SIB is a RIB and storage on a trailer elsewhere possible? (Caravan storage place?)
Old 01 November 2015, 00:05   #7

Thank you very much Shiny Shoe for your advice. I think with Fenlander's advice and walking through the flat again and looking at the small KA, I am going to struggle. I see the Kimberly boat, but it is too much new. It's all about budget and storage in Fulham/Chelsea is at a premium. The fun of this project is doing it on a budget and storing in own flat near to river. So I might have to go for a pack away SIB solution.

Thanks for the advice on the weight and roof rack. I will keep this alloy boat in in mind.
Old 01 November 2015, 00:06   #8

Hi

There is a speed limit through the pool of London but after Tower Bridge, until the Thames Barrier, it's much quicker. The Thames Clippers go over 30MPH. I have all of this to learn and will need to register the boat.
Old 01 November 2015, 00:11   #9

Hi Fenlander. Your posts have grounded me, I think I now have succumbed to the fact that I need a SIB and one that that has a reasonable hull and solid floor, even though inflatable and that I can blow up via the cigarette lighter in the car.

Budget too. I like the fact that I can use a 25HP motor in the model you name and that there is a model that cuts through the waves on the choppy Thames. That's good. I think I will need to pack it away as you describe. I will look into this as a second hand option for a Bombard Aerotec, I think I am looking for 3-4 people so it should work. I will research this and the Honwave 3.8 air. If you have any pictures of it in action, do let me know or similarly, if you see any adverts let me know.
Old 01 November 2015, 00:18   #10

Google is your friend for images and videos... like this one...

And the air floor 3.8 Honwave...

Old 01 November 2015, 00:22   #11

Excellent! This is getting me hooked already, it does glide through the water at speed!
Old 01 November 2015, 00:28   #12

Just look back a page as I'd added a video of the Honwave 3.8 air floor.
Old 01 November 2015, 07:01   #13

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I used to transport a SIB, engine, dive gear and one passenger using a Citroen AX, which was roughly the size of a Ka.

The hull was folded up and went on the roof rack. That particular SIB was about 11 or 12 feet long, so something like 3.5 metres. It was a good boat for 3 or 4 people and could take 3 of us on a reasonably calm sea with dive gear.

At various times, I have considered roof racking an inflated SIB and taken the measurements. For any SIB over "tiny tender with a slatted floor" size, I think it would be dangerous, bad for the boat and awful for your fuel consumption.

The idea of putting a RIB on the roof rack horrifies me. You would probably be stopped by the police for an unsafe load assuming you made it round the first mini roundabout without toppling over.

Assuming you are not going to change your car, a small SIB is your only realistic option, unless you go for the idea of keeping a bigger boat at a marina or in a lock up compound on the waterside.
Old 01 November 2015, 08:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
The idea of putting a RIB on the roof rack horrifies me. You would probably be stopped by the police for an unsafe load assuming you made it round the first mini roundabout without toppling over.
Get the tubes pumped up hard and when it falls over it'll bounce back up ;-)
Old 01 November 2015, 10:06   #15

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Get the tubes pumped up hard and when it falls over it'll bounce back up ;-)
Why buy a boat and a roof rack at all? It might be easier just to mount the outboard upside down on the rear bumper and flip the car over at the water's edge. As long as you keep the windows shut it should be OK, and the money saved could be spent on beer.
Old 01 November 2015, 13:53   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Avon do a rib with a fold down transom - that would assist in getting through the door.

One of the 1990's Avon 3.1m ribs might also suit - although pretty flat bottom and perhaps smaller than the OP wants.

The tidal Thames through London isn't somewhere I would advise a novice takes a small RIB or SIB. Ferocious tides. Speed limit. Lots of commercial traffic.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:24   #17

Thanks! I have bought a Bombard Aerotec 380 today, thank you for your expert advice. I am very pleased with it. Engine next.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:25   #18

Hi thanks so much. I have gone for a SIB.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:26   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
A minor issue but you don't really want to pump it up with a cigarette lighter socket, you want more amps than that so either connect direct to battery or use a pump with battery built in. If you are inflating each use this will be quite important for your enjoyment.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:37   #20

>>> I have bought a Bombard Aerotec 380 today

Well done... red or grey.. new or used? Did it come with transom wheels? What size outboard are you after, 2 or 4 stroke?

After running an elec inflator off the car battery for years I bought a small "alarm" type battery which will just inflate a 380 twice on one charge... much improved over trying to get the car situated so the leads would reach the boat from the bonnet.

Tags
rib