Old 28 May 2020, 16:54   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
One person's daily setup SIB outfit (Aerotec)

Bit of spare time in lockdown and a need to check the outfit after 7mths storage so I thought I'd chuck up a few images and thoughts on why I've refined to this particular outfit over the last few years.

Our use is quite specific. We are almost two hours in the car to the sea and currently no room for a trailer at home so we set up daily from the back of the car. Similarly on holidays in Scotland/Devon/Cornwall I prefer to travel without the hassle of a trailer. We are mostly just self plus Mrs F, occasionally plus an 8st daughter and very occasionally adding a second daughter for short trips.

We plan our launch sites so we almost always avoid beach launches far preferring a slipway or hard sheltered from the open sea.

This first image is everything we need for an outing on the sea. That lot has packed in the loadspace of the last two Mondeo size estate cars leaving a small space for other luggage but crucially both back seat still usable.

One of the dry bags is marked "set up" and contains all the smaller bits needed to get the whole thing assembled saving pulling this and that from different bags.

The canvas bag pictured carries the anchor/chain/rope plus a drogue, beach rollers, spare prop and tools etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car load.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	133258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup bag.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	133259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor bag.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	133260  
Old 28 May 2020, 17:11   #2

So this is it all assembled.

The Aerotec in its 5th year with us still gives the best combination of handling/comfort in poor sea states and portability when out of the water... it's proved to be the perfect daily setup SIB for 2/3 folks. Of course others have a difference balance of needs hence different SIBs suit them.

Since buying it this SIB has been powered by 15hp, 20hp, 8hp, 10hp and now back to 15hp which seems to be the sweet spot for us in power vs weight.

For this season I've added the Trem bow trolley to save shoulder. I'm fine pulling it along quite long road trundles but it is the need to carry the weight at the same time that started to niggle at my shoulder. The Trem trolley is a lovely bit of kit and just needed the addition of the blue straps you see coming back through the D-rings to be sure the bow couldn't fall off the trolley in sharp turns.

Our transom wheels are the removable type and it's the way we operate that Mrs F takes them and the trolley back to the car/cottage after launch while I do the final fiddling once on the water. We never travel with the transom wheels on or in the boat... if we need to pull out any distance mid trip that's what we carry inflatable rollers for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerotec assembled.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	133261  
Old 28 May 2020, 17:23   #3

In the image from above you can see we carry a boathook on the left grab rail. Might seem over the top for a SIB but has proved so useful on many occasions.

I've given up on the standard extending alloy/plastic paddles in favour of a pair of timber oars which are so much better in all respects but note no rowlocks.... the RNLI have a similar arrangement on their Y-boats.

I never use the supplied bow storage bag as I find it gets in the way of bow-on boarding etc. I use the fixing loops to thread through a grab cord around the bow which is most used to tie kit on in case it was bounced out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerotec fromabove.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	133262  
Old 28 May 2020, 17:45   #4

It suits us that I helm from the starboard tube and Mrs F sits on the seat. With the 25l fuel tank under the seat and the anchor bag beside it this gives a very good basic trim.

The dry bag in the bow is our emergency kit such as LED flare, signal torch, air horn, compass etc. Behind it is a canvas bag containing the Bravo footpump and gauge.

The Garmin 45DV chartplotter fixed on the seat with a bungee has been a brilliant bit of kit. It's run from a 12V 7AH batter in the bag underneath. I was going to make up a battery box arrangement but after a comment by another Ribnetter pulled out an old camera bag and sprayed with waterproofing and that's been fine.

Looking to the transom I have the dry bag for food and spare clothes... tied on by the same safety lanyard as the Garmin transducer. Also the blue baler with sponge inside.

Kill cord of course ready to clamp on my buoyancy aid and the spare one ready to hand hanging from the transom clamp plate.

My personal preference has evolved to bolting the outboard on rather than using a safety lanyard. I carry spanners specific to these bolts together with the bolts in the setup bag and it only adds a couple of minutes to getting going.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bow setup.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	133263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom setup.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	133264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin on.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	133265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin wiring.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	133266  
Old 28 May 2020, 17:58   #5

From the rear of the transom you can see the very basic but effective transduce mount which is just a bit of softwood with random black paint. You can see from the slot I started with it lower but it cause a bit of splash so has been gradually lifted to where splash has gone but it keeps a good reading most of the time despite looking quite high.

You can also see the transom block I added to raise the outboard 45mm so the dreaded Aerotec outboard leg splash is reduced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transducer mount.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	133267  
Old 28 May 2020, 18:05   #6

Frustratingly we have only put just shy of 7hrs on this Yamaha 2-stoke since I bought it almost a year ago. Family responsibilities made 2019 difficult for getting away so 2020 was to be the year we made up... unbelievable Covid has pulled the rug from under that plan.

Good though that after 4mths since it last ran it was within a whisker of a first time start this week and easily went second pull. That's on year old fuel too... with Quicksilver stabiliser. Pumps like a little fire hose too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hour meter.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	133268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha running.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	133269  
Old 28 May 2020, 18:15   #7

Final thing. The only defects on the Aerotec is where a tiny sharp stone worked its way into the air floor once underneath which was an easy small patch and the second in a place a patch couldn't be used. I reported on the difficult location repair here a while ago which eventually was made with Stormsure.

I'm a bit sceptical of "repairs in a tube" but this has lasted well enough over 18mths to seem a permanent solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor repair.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	133270  
Old 28 May 2020, 18:48   #8

Town: Aberdovey
Boat name: Sea Bear
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Mariner 90
Hi, thanks so much for your replies to my posts on my new (to me!) aerotec - just been looking through your daily setup thread with interest. I had a few questions and tried to send a message but it wouldn't let me attach photos, so thought I'd reply here instead!

1) You mention the leg splash - I find that at speed water piles in over the back kicked up by the outboard. Is that what you're referring to? Is 45mm raising of a short shaft outboard the sweet spot?

2) I've got a slight leak in the bottom of one side of the keel section - just a spot hole. What would you recommend to repair? I notice you had a patch on yours...what patch was it and what glue did you use?

3) The only bit that is coming away on ours is in the pictures attached. Would you say that this means the whole thing will need doing or can I glue just this bit back down? If so, same glue as above?

4) How on earth do you pack down that small? Ours is pretty enormous when packed away...my fear is that to pack too small puts more strain on the connection between tubes and transom.

Thanks again for the help!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200528_162402622.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	133271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_162405217.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	133272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_162847924.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	133273  
Old 28 May 2020, 19:47   #9

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Great description @fenlander very useful. I am amazed at how small the Aerotec packs down as well, my 330 Frib doesn't get anywhere near that size!

Interesting to see your kit list as well, quite similar to mine which I am revising as part of sorting out the boat at the moment - if I get a chance I will post a similar description on my 330 thread.

Cheers,

MM
Old 28 May 2020, 20:20   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Great stuff David. Always interesting to see another boat setup topic.
Old 28 May 2020, 20:56   #11

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Frustratingly we have only put just shy of 7hrs on this Yamaha 2-stoke since I bought it almost a year ago. Family responsibilities made 2019 difficult for getting away so 2020 was to be the year we made up... unbelievable Covid has pulled the rug from under that plan.

Good though that after 4mths since it last ran it was within a whisker of a first time start this week and easily went second pull. That's on year old fuel too... with Quicksilver stabiliser. Pumps like a little fire hose too.
Thats an impressively powerful tell-tale!
Old 28 May 2020, 22:40   #12

Yep despite it being important that the tell tale is normal for the proper normal of your particular OB model and it not being a peeing contest... it does make it easier to see on a quick look astern now and again if it is a strong jet to the side like that..

Do that mm... I always enjoy reading what others are doing with their setups. Jeff's thread on his latest SIB modded in expedition style was an excellent read.

Jim I forget which outboard you have?? That will make a difference but the usual situation is the Aerotec needs a lift block of 25-45mm. Some have gone even more but this starts to need some serious inner/outer reinforcement plates in maybe alloy or similar. You can usually get away with just a spacer up to about 25mm but after that more work like mine may be needed as the OB clamps rise off the transom plate and end up only gripping the shim.

When you say a leak on the keel section do you mean the HP floor? If the leak is accessible for a patch I'd always clean off and patch properly with two part glue. Have a look at this guide... PVC Adhesive – How to repair inflatable boat tubes made from PVC fabric | Polymarine Paints, Adhesives, Parts & Accessories

Re the lifting transom area patches this is a sign that over time it will all go. You need to pull it apart as far as you can by hand. Anything that will pull apart needs a re-glue... or it could happen on the water. The old one I owned had short areas that would peel then there was a very definite end to the separation so I just did the short sections. That will get it on the water knowing it's safe for now but in truth a couple of years down the line the adj areas will probably start to go.

Re the packing first don't worry about it straining the glue... if packing is enough to cause separation you'll want to get it repaired before venturing out. I wrote up a packing guide the other day. Post #20 in this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/am-i-c...tml#post811514
Old 29 May 2020, 05:42   #13

Town: Aberdovey
Boat name: Sea Bear
Make: Avon
Engine: Twin Mariner 90
Great! Thanks
Old 29 May 2020, 20:15   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Great thread David one of the best setups for ease and storage restrictions, that Yams mint thanks for sharing
Old 31 May 2020, 10:21   #15

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

Haha, me missing the obvious, although it's 20 minutes of work to achieve it. I've spent so much time fiddling about with wheelie bins, and brackets, and planks jammed in my Workmate, just to support the engine while it's running in a barrel, and all the time, I could have put the wheels down and hung it on the transom! D'oh!

As for the fuel thing, I always run the carb dry after using an outboard, and I store my fuel in a cold dark garage (which may reduce evaporation) and I have always found that my outboards, mower, strimmer and chainsaw start after 2 or 3 pulls even if the fuel is a few months old.
Old 01 June 2020, 07:10   #16

To add to David's very helpful topic I'll pop in a link to a couple of similar Aerotec topics for those new to Ribnet or Aerotecs that are looking for additional set up info and may have missed older topics. Mine is a little different reflecting the different way we use our SIBs. Mine is nearly always beach launched and used with younger kids, wave jumping, kneeboarding, skiing etc as well as more gentle use on rivers sometimes.

Rigging an Aerotec

Bombard Aerotec ready for the maiden voyage (b@stard son of a Y Class)

Old 05 August 2020, 17:23   #17

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: BENJ5
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90hp
Penny Round

Max, could you tell me where you bought the penny round black rubber mating from please.
Old 05 August 2020, 20:30   #18

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Get it on eBay fairly cheaply in a variety of thicknesses.
Old 05 August 2020, 21:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
Max, could you tell me where you bought the penny round black rubber mating from please.
Was a while back but maybe Machine Mart? But as someone posted above it’s generic stuff.
Old 05 August 2020, 21:39   #20

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: BENJ5
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Was a while back but maybe Machine Mart? But as someone posted above it’s generic stuff.
I thought someone found a mat that didn’t leave a black stain on the white floor?

Friend of mine caught a large Sea Bass and the spike on the Gill punctured his floor.

Tags
sib