Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 January 2022, 20:54   #1

Town: NYC
US Above Deck Fuel Tank Placement Question

I need to replace the 18 gallon HDP Moeller above deck fuel tank. I would also like to make better use of the deck space by placing a seat over the same foot print space of the fuel tank. (Tank is 29"L X 15"W X 13"H.). Currently the existing tank sits open at the stern. It sits on (2) 29" long pieces of aluminum angle which sits on (4) 1/2" 6" X 3" pieces of solid plastic. The tank is held down with (2) cross straps.

Can I place the replacement 18 gal. Moeller HDP fuel tank inside a metal box and place a seat on top of the box?

The box would be mechanically bolted to the open boat deck and the tank secured inside the box. I can modify the box in any matter for natural ventilation. This could go as far as louvering large portions of the (4) side metal panels. Top & bottom would remain solid. (One full side of the box would have a full hindged door opening. I could remove the door if required, but not preferred.) Fuel fill would be thru a 4" dia.(nominal) hatch/cap access in the top of the metal box which could also be vented. This access panel will expose the Moeller standard fill cap to fill the tank.

I can't seem to find any USCG or EPA guidelines and limitations that addresses placing above deck fuel tanks.

TIA