Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 January 2022, 15:06   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: mildenhall
Make: Highfield 540DL
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Gallions Point Marina

Following on from a thread about Thames cruising, does anyone know if Gallions Point Marina is still in existence with its slipway available?
__________________

__________________
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 17:04   #2
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,182
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I think they were evicted and a new residential development is due to start or has started.

Try Greenwich YC, Poplar RC or Bargehouse.

Chris
__________________

__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk - A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Also why not check out the Ribcraft Owners Group?
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 17:32   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I think they were evicted and a new residential development is due to start or has started.

Try Greenwich YC, Poplar RC or Bargehouse.

Chris
I ran past the slipway at Poplar RC yesterday, and it's definitely still there!
__________________
paulbrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:34   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 102
RIBase
I regularly use the slip at Poplar Rowing Club. Just have to be a little careful as the sand at the top of the slip is like powder and can be a challenging
__________________
Regards RoyP
RoyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 17:55   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 122
I used to use the slip at Poplar and Blackwall too, (used to live 300yds from it). We used to safety boat for the rowing club a few years ago too, it's a great slip and you can store the trailers on the side of the slip, and parking used to be free over the weekend. We went past there last week and is still a good option. The rowing club is also a good place to go for a beer with a good view!

Gallions has changed a lot, we went past last week, and there's a lot of new buildings on the north bank, it looks very different to how it was a few years ago.
__________________
horacebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:40   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: mildenhall
Make: Highfield 540DL
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Thanks all for your suggestions. Trouble is most of these slips go direct into the river which for a lone launcher lime me causes hassle!
Not expecting to get a reply I rang Gallions Point Marina this morning. A helpful chap answered and advised they were still fighting a court battle with developers and that the site was shut off due to this. Although in a pretty rough area GPM did have a decent slip into the basin with helpful staff to get you out into the river via the lock. Hope the facility becomes available soon.
__________________
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 12:34   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions. Trouble is most of these slips go direct into the river which for a lone launcher lime me causes hassle!
Not expecting to get a reply I rang Gallions Point Marina this morning. A helpful chap answered and advised they were still fighting a court battle with developers and that the site was shut off due to this. Although in a pretty rough area GPM did have a decent slip into the basin with helpful staff to get you out into the river via the lock. Hope the facility becomes available soon.
What you thinking ? maybe a trip out of Levington
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 12:52   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: Covrib
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 100
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
What you thinking ? maybe a trip out of Levington
Ill meet you of Clacton if you fancy it!

I reckon I could convince the Mrs to drive up in the pickup to refull us.
__________________
mhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 11:22   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: mildenhall
Make: Highfield 540DL
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 43
One of my aims is to get down to Brighlinsea.....once there maybe a bit further!!!
__________________
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 15:26   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
One of my aims is to get down to Brighlinsea.....once there maybe a bit further!!!
Sounds good for a start ,reckon we may need more daylight before the london plan

i want to do Southwold this summer , but i had a discussion with somebody that suggested theres a rather large standing wave if you get your tides wrong

hopefully we may be able to get a few extras !
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 16:30   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: Covrib
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 100
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Sounds good for a start ,reckon we may need more daylight before the london plan

i want to do Southwold this summer , but i had a discussion with somebody that suggested theres a rather large standing wave if you get your tides wrong

hopefully we may be able to get a few extras !
Iíve not done many of the Suffolk rivers.
I either launch from Holland Haven beach or Brightlingsea so itís not too far to head up there for me.

Standing wave sounds fun, power power power punch & ease off.
__________________

__________________
mhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.